Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

I'm amazed by how good I feel.  My meals are so delicious and satisfying and I haven't been hungry for snacks.

I made a mock peanut sauce with sunflower butter, lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and coconut milk and poured that on my stir fried veggies and chicken last night and it blew my mind!  SO GOOD!  I bought some red curry paste and plan on experimenting with that a bit. 

I did feel a little light headed during my work out this morning.  I checked my blood pressure when I got home and I was ok, so maybe it was a blood sugar thing.

Hope you are all feeling great and enjoying Day 9!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love reading everyone's posts!

I am feeling so full of energy and just generally really good. My body feels less bloated and I think my stomach is a little flatter too :) I have had my tired moments....like falling asleep really early or even needing to take a nap but I guess that's all part of the process. I'm hoping in the next week I won't have that issue.

I am loving all the fresh food and experimenting with new meals. Everything tastes so delicious to me. Who needs sugar, right? I went to Whole Foods today and bought quite a few things that I've never tried. And I agree with XfitK....I would rather eat at home, food at restaurants don't even sound appealing to me right now.

I've felt a little sluggish during my workouts but then feel incredible afterwards (??!). Can't explain that one.

Meal planning, not giving in to temptations, and not acting on old habits is HARD work but SO worth it. Can't wait to see what's in store for the next 3 weeks.

I also love reading all the posts - Along with constantly cooking and planning, I've been trying to work out some simple to prepare meals.  Tonight I have a thick blended soup that I made from the leftovers of a veggie curry (made with coconut milk and Thai red curry paste).  I put a couple of individually wrapped tilapia filets in the freezer the other day and took one out this morning to defrost in the fridge while I was at work.  When I got home I sliced it up and put it in a pot with the blended soup, put on the cover - and its probably ready for me just about now.  Great "fast" food!

38flamingo-- that soup sounds good!!

Does everything feel like they have noticed a weight loss yet? I haven't noticed anything too much but I do feel less bloated and my husband said he thinks we both have lost a little weight. I haven't checked the scale!

Went running for the first time since starting- first work out actually. Only did one mile just to warm back into it. It felt great after but I did feel like I didn't have as much energy. Not sure if that's because I haven't run in 2 weeks or due to the new food habits. Going to try and get back to the gym more this week.

Let's keep sharing recipe ideas!! I think it's good to brainstorm together. Here is one I have been making a LOT- it's so easy to throw together, refreshing and easy way to get your veggies in. I make a cucumber tomato salad .. Sometimes also chop up Garlic and/or onions.. Add salt pepper cayenne pepper and apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Great for leftovers too because the flavors really soak in!

Last night we made home made turkey burgers with ground turkey, chopped spinach, chopped onion and low sodium mrs dash... formed in parties and topped it with homemade guac. YUM!!

I had planned to eat at Chipotle for dinner (since I was working late) but when it came down to it decided I'd rather come home to eat the pumpkin turkey chili that was simmering in my slow cooker. It's definitely all about being prepared!

I find that when I'm tired is definitely when I have the most cravings. I think I'm used to reaching for processed carbs or sugar for an energy boost at that point so it feels more like breaking a habit than an actual issue with being hungry.  I'm also noticing that things that I never would have classified as sweet before are now tasting really sweet to me (like a roasted tomato & garlic / coconut milk soup I made this weekend).

Whole30 is a pretty radical shift from how I'd been eating recently. Even though it feels hard right now, I'm so glad I'm making this change.

I can definitely tell I have already lost weight. I also had a ton of energy today. I ended up doing a bunch of jumping jacks for no reason at all. :)

Breakfast was the last of my chicken soup (yay!) with avocado and sauerkraut. Lunch was the last of my ground beef with cauliflower and more avocado. Dinner was a big salad with kale, spinach, romaine, brussel sprouts, carrots, celery, and the pulled pork, apples and sweet potatoes I made in my crock pot yesterday.

Good morning everyone - Day 10!   This has been my hardest morning so far, not sure why.  I did a cardio/ weight DVD this morning and definitely felt like I was in slow motion. I never have trouble keeping up, but I did today.  After it my body was shaking...and now about 2 hours later I still feel a little shakey.  I ate a bigger than usual breakfast with a good amount of pumpkin and sweet potato so hopefully that helps.

Last night was another victory for me, I went to a work happy hour and did not drink!!!!  or eat any of the carb snacks!  I had one cocktail shrimp and some carrots.  It meant I was very late having dinner when I got home at 8:15 (since I did not eat the pizza, pita/ hummus that would have filled me up).  I ate 2 hard boiled eggs at 4:30 to give me some staying power, but really I was ok until I got home.

Thank you to this group - I really enjoy hearing about everyones experiences!

Snowflower - the sauce sounds awesome....where do you get sunbutter without sugar?  all of the ones at my EF have evaporated cane juice in them.

Elizabeth - I am with  you, this is a radical change for me too.  I was defintiely in the low fat/ whole grain camp for a very long time!

Morning All!  I feel like I have lost weight, too.  It is very tempting to jump on the scale and see for myself...I am a nurse so there are accurate high-tech scales all over the place! YIPES! But I have not weighed myself yet, still hanging in there on that one.

Last night was grilled hamburgers, eaten on the patio, with crunchy lettuce "buns", mustard, tomato, a slice of pinepple and homemade mayo. Farmer's market carrots on the side. I thought about the bread, but I didn't actually miss it.  I missed the cheese but the flavors were so good and so bright without it.  This morning I had some pork-apple-sausage hash with sweet potato and then fried some eggs to put on top.

I felt tired yesterday afternoon and again this morning, but maybe that's because our air con is out at work? They are working to fix it and find interim solutions, but it's hard to feel awake and alert in a stuffy, muggy building.

Day 10, already...  I can feel my body adjusting and changing.  I am always a bit hungry, but never famished/low blood sugar hungry.  Even energy is awesome.

I did a leg workout yesterday and upper body Monday.  Weights/resistance workouts are better on Whole30 than extended cardio like running or biking.  Yoga today-- really easy.

I am being very strict about keeping fruit low, no nut butters.  I really like Gary Taub's book, Why We Get Fat.  He really pushes lower carbs.  

I am still eating a handful of walnuts twice a day, drizzled with 2-3 oz of olive oil.  It is my big treat of the day. 

Keep it up... almost 1/3 done.  When I did my first round, I didn't want to quit after 30 days b/c my results were so amazing.  My temptation is to weigh in, but I am not having much trouble resisting.  It is worth it to wait.

Demos - thank you for the push for lower carbs.  Anything else from that book that is helpful to share?

I just got my copy of ISWF - I had hoped to get it from the library, but after two weeks I could not take it and just bought it.  I started it last night, very fun to read so far.

Happy Day 10!

Ditto on much of what has been said today. Really pleased with the physical positive feelings from this change in my eating habits and envision it being the primary way that I and my daughters eat from now on. Have already talked to my eldest about the plan and she seems to be on board. My youngest is probably the one who would benefit most from the eating changes - she has lactose intolerance, allergies and very sentiive GI issues. She will probably be the hardest to change the mindset, mostly due to her age (will be 12) and her eating patterns/bad habits. But if the carbs/sugar/sweeteners aren't in the house - she can't eat them, right?! That transition will start next week when they come home from summer break away. Any helpful suggestions are welcome!

Slept better last night, but still not easy getting up in the morning. At least the 3pm crash at work has seemed to be much better.

Made a pork loin in the dutch oven last night and brought some for breakfast this morning. First for me - pork, shredded sweet potato "hash", and blueberries/strawberries for breakfast. Who'da thunk!?

We are 1/3 of the way to goal - keep it up!

PS - the scale has been my nemesis for so long I am not really tempted too much to weigh in before the 30 days are over. Did take some photos at the very start and will do so each week. Can't see any difference at this point but not really pictures I want to dwell on - if you know what I mean!

Salemsister, "Well Fed" is a great book!!  Not only amazing recipes but also a helpful shopping guide, thoughts on the author's whole foods/paleo lifestyle and tempting photos, too.  Last week, I made her "sunshine sauce" and later foisted it off on my Bible study group when I realized that my almond butter had cane sugar!!  :wacko:  Oh well...they loved the spicy Thai-style dip with veggies and I got rid of some non-Whole 30 ingredients.  This week I made my own almond butter from scratch :D

Just back from a day trip with my son, doing a college visit.  Turkey sausage cut up with leftover cooked kale for breakfast, with some homemade applesauce.  The way the day was set up, we were going to have our first appointment from 10-11, then go through from 11:30-2:30 without a break - so I brought a sandwich for him, and used my coconut paleo wraps for the first time to make 2 small chicken, avocado & pesto wraps for myself, as well as blueberries for both of this.  We had this as an extra small meal at 11, so that we wouldn't be starving without lunch.  When we were finished at 2:30 we were both hungry and tired, so we stopped on the way home, and I had a small salad with a hard boiled egg included for protein (there were no other options), while he had another sandwich (17 year old boys can do that...).  I will have dinner later - not sure yet what that will be.  I do feel like it was a successful day of eating while traveling, but it does make me a little anxious about the longer travel I'm heading into beginning Saturday.  We'll be renting a cottage for a week at the beach, where I will be able to shop and cook.  The restaurants will be tempting, and with careful choices it will be possible to have seafood and salad and veggies well within the limits of the w30.  On the way home we'll be adding a couple of days for one or two more college visits with motel stays which will be more difficult - both the time on the road, and the eating out every meal.  I'm thinking I can do it!

Ok, well I felt kind of crappy today. Yesterday I had energy for days, today I just felt blah. Maybe those jumping jacks did me in. :)

Breakfast and lunch were the crock pot pulled pork with apples and sweet potatoes. I added some spinach, sauerkraut and homemade pickles. I was going to make salmon and cauliflower rice for dinner, but I had some errands to run and had a terrible headache, so I really did not want to cook. I ended up eating out but I went to a local burger place that I really like. I had a big salad with a bison patty, grilled zucchini, roasted beets and avocado. I wanted some sweet potato fries, but didn't want to risk cross contamination in the fryer. The manager later came to talk to me and let me know that they keep a separate fryer for people with gluten allergies, so next time I can ask them to use that.

I am hoping my blah turns back into fabulous tomorrow.

Hi everyone! I'm KC and I just found this thread. I, too, started on July 22. I am so glad to find others who are at the same stage!

I'm trying this way of eating to see if there is a food trigger for my migraines. In the 10 days I have had one migraine almost happen, but the medicine worked very quickly and I avoided a bad day. The medicine hasn't worked that well before, so I have to think there is a diet connection! I also have gone more days without any kind of headache in the past 10 days than the past two months combined. I have certainly enjoyed the relief!

I've been frustrated with some of my meal choices (bland and WAY too many salads) and trips to the grocery store (where I have found reading ingredient labels is a bit depressing), but tonight my husband made the most amazing beef stew in the crockpot and I made some garlic rosemary sweet potatoes to go with my breakfast tomorrow. Now I just need to find a good recipe for salad dressing! Homemade balsamic vinegarette is getting a bit old. Variety is the spice of life!

I'm looking forward to hearing what the next 20 days bring for all of you!

Hi everyone! I'm KC and I just found this thread. I, too, started on July 22. I am so glad to find others who are at the same stage!

I'm trying this way of eating to see if there is a food trigger for my migraines. In the 10 days I have had one migraine almost happen, but the medicine worked very quickly and I avoided a bad day. The medicine hasn't worked that well before, so I have to think there is a diet connection! I also have gone more days without any kind of headache in the past 10 days than the past two months combined. I have certainly enjoyed the relief!

I've been frustrated with some of my meal choices (bland and WAY too many salads) and trips to the grocery store (where I have found reading ingredient labels is a bit depressing), but tonight my husband made the most amazing beef stew in the crockpot and I made some garlic rosemary sweet potatoes to go with my breakfast tomorrow. Now I just need to find a good recipe for salad dressing! Homemade balsamic vinegarette is getting a bit old. Variety is the spice of life!

I'm looking forward to hearing what the next 20 days bring for all of you!

I've been using mayo with apple cider vinegar or coconut vinegar as dressing. Or avo/vinegar. I also make one with nut butter, herbs, a bit of vinegar/lemon juice etc. (or more Asian with chilli, coconut aminos, lime, and maybe half a date for sweetness if you need it)

my favorite dressing is

1/3 C orange juice

2 T Balsamic Vinegar

1 T Olive Oil

salt and pepper to taste

Day 11 and going strong! I cooked a ton yesterday. I made 3lbs of chicken breasts (I'll freeze in individual sized servings and take out as needed), a giant meatloaf with homemade ketchup (I'll freeze most of this too), and a baked egg dish with kale, onions and mushrooms.

The meatloaf was very tasty. I found the recipe on eatingforidiots.com/homestyle-meatloaf/

I haven't tasted the chicken yet, but if it's good, I'll share the recipe.

The eggs were not that good. I'll eat them, but they need lots of salsa and hot sauce to make them good enough to eat.

I weighed myself. :( It was yesterday at 5 am. I had been having another scale dream and took my scale from its hiding place and got on. I'm not even sure why. I've never been obsessed with weighing myself. I think it was just curiosity. I've never gone this long without sugar.

moving forward!

Have a great day!

I was with you feeling yucky yesteday Primal Amy.   I am not sure what it was, I ate three new things - coconut flakes, brussel sprouts and a few raisins.  I have always thought I had a problem with FODMAPs, but since starting my whole 30 I have had a few of them and had been doing just fine so I thought I was cured.  UNTIL YESTERDAY - wow, my stomach what a mess, I think it was the brussel sprouts, I am still bloated and have a stomach ache....I was feeling so good before that this is a huge blow.  I used to feel this way ALL the time!    Today I am going to go back to what I was doing before yesterday and cut those things out.

Snowflower - it is ok, just put it back in hiding!  I also was tempted to start looking for the scale yesterday when I was going to bed....when I was sick to my stomach, I was feeling like my pre-whole 30 self and fell back into pre-whole 30 habits....like a daily weight in.

Everyone is cooking good stuff - I need to step it up!  I am having a hard time trying to cook for my family and for me...I need to transition my three kids under 5 to this way of eating as well.

Morning everyone!

Amys - been feeling a bit tired the past two days myself. Sleeping probably 10 hours the past two nights and STILL hitting the snooze every morning. Maybe it's too much sleep? :huh:

Snowflower - understand and yes, I want to know. What did the scale say??? Haven't been tempted to weigh myself, guess I am just letting the whole process take it's course. You betcha I am gonna weigh on day 30!

All in all I am so happy with how I am feeling. Eating one serving at each meal and full/satisfied. Not really very hungry between meals or starving at meal time. Sleeping well (obviously!). And really proud of myself for not slipping up once - except those stupid dreams! (Which haven't really be all that bad.)

Have a GREAT Day 11!

Jen :)

Archived