Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Another way to make veggies taste great is to cook them with a little bacon...or cook them with a bit of bacon fat that you have reserved in the fridge. For instance one of my favorites is broccoli roasted in the oven with garlic and bacon. My kids like this too. I love diced sweet potatoes sautéed with a little bacon fat and mixed with sweet onion, apple and a few raisins. We often make a hash out of that with ground chicken or turkey. Also I love greens (kale, chard, collards) and cherry or grape tomatoes sautéed in coconut oil with a little lemon and pinch of salt.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, my name is Genn, and I started my first whole30 on Monday as well. I was craving everything yesterday, but today has been great!

I made the mayo from the recipe in the book, and it was a total fail! Is there an easier way?

Thanks,

Genn

I am not trying to be the Whole30 police, but for those who haven't read the book.....bacon needs to be organic and pastured to be "compliant" with the Whole30 plan. The book also recommends using it as a "condiment" rather than as a protein source. So if you use it to doctor up your veggies, my interpretation would be that it would be an appropriate use of bacon.

I am not trying to be the Whole30 police, but for those who haven't read the book.....bacon needs to be organic and pastured to be "compliant" with the Whole30 plan. The book also recommends using it as a "condiment" rather than as a protein source. So if you use it to doctor up your veggies, my interpretation would be that it would be an appropriate use of bacon.

It also needs to be sugar-free too ... which can be the trickiest requirement of all.

I am finding that around now - 9:30 I want to eat and feel hungry.  This is when I used to have my first snack of the day.   The last two days I had eggs and veggies.  This morning I had two eggs cooked in coconut oil and pumpkin/ sweet potato mash.  I had more carbs thinking that would help.  I would think that was enough to hold me over....do I need more fat than the eggs and oil?   I put a good 2T in the pan.

The email today for day 3 was right on point for me.  I am very much missing my usual foods - but I am not missing how they make me feel.  Going to bed last nigth my stomach was the flatest it has been at the end of the day in years...it was unbeleivable.  I must have looked at it 10 times before going to bed!

Today's plan:

two eggs cooked in coconut oil and pumpkin/ sweet potato mash

chicken with stewed tomatoes and mushrooms and green beans

tuna cakes with zucchini

Snowflower - I made salmon cakes last night, what a surprise!  I have made loads of cakes out of tuna but never salmon, I was quite scared of the canned salmon, but it was wonderful, my kids and husband also loved them.  I opened the can and saw SKIN and was freaked out, I peeled that away...then I felt BONES!  So I treid to get those out.  I read the label and there was a recipe there that said to get rid of the skin and bones ans you wish...not sure who would want to keep those in there!   It was worth it, the taste was not at all fishy like I was expecting.

Amy, i'd definitely up the protein in your breakfast. 1 serve of eggs is many as you can hold in your hand - I can hold at least 3! I usually have 3 eggs plus a bit of chicken breast in an omelette, plus veggies. I also tend to add a bit more fat (like a spoon of mayo, or some avo) as I don't really think the cooking oil counts too much. it does depend how you cook your eggs - if they're fried, lots of oil will be left in the pan, if they're scrambled you'll of course get a bit more of the cooking fat. the extra protein and fat will help you feeling fuller for longer, i'd also have a mix of veggies - you can bulk up on the non starchy ones, and include a bit of sweet pot/pumpkin as well

I'm sorry I failed to mention those things in my post! We've been doing whole30 type eating since Feb so I don't even think about it anymore. We are lucky to have several great nat foods stores around and are able to find compliant condiments, etc without too much trouble. As for bacon as a condiment, this is how we use it mainly because the good stuff is dang expensive!

Happy Day 3, all! Anyone else feel hungover? Or exhausted? I do. I'd love to go back to bed and stay there. All normal according to:

http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

I'm not looking forward to the "kill all things" phase coming tomorrow.

I hope today goes well for everyone today emotionally and physically and in the kitchen. Hang in there; the yucky feeling will pass.

I'm trying the salmon cakes recipe from the book today. I made the mayo on Monday and loved it with tuna. I also made the steak rub (before I officially started) and loved it!

Thanks for posting this!! Very helpful to me, as I have been fighting the headache for the past couple days.

Sugar seems to be in everything.  Remember to read labels and then re-read them.  I have been trying to eat things without a label - like fresh veggies from the Farmers Market and my own garden.  

Good luck on Day 4!!!  We can do this is....We are doing this!!!

Regarding the mayo: make sure everything is room temperature. Don't skip the sitting in the blender step. did you use extra virgin olive oil? it needs to be just "olive oil". Pour very slowly too!

HAPPY DAY 4! I had my first food dream! I was eating taco salad with corn chips and refried beans. I didn't realize it was against the rules until I was three bites in. It was SO real and I was so disappointed that I had to start over on Day 1. I was so relieved when I woke up and hadn't eaten anything non-compliant.

Does anybody have any weird localized aches and pains? I have an aching toe and a sore knee. I'm wondering if it could be part of the detox phase. I'll check the message boards.

I bought some chicken thighs last night and am making the chicken sweet potato apple hash I saw on the website.

Have a wonderful day!

Snowflower - had my first food dream last night too! I was eating icing, yes like cake icing. Talk about the sugar motherload! Went to the movies with a friend last night and I think the movie popcorn smell put the thoughts in my brain!

Woke up this morning pretty hungry and still fighting the headache a bit. Worked out yesterday afternoon - my first since starting Whole30 - and I could tell that I was not as on top of my game as I have been. Looking forward to next week and the energy rebound a bit!

Here's to a fab Day 4! Keep it going, y'all!

Good morning everyone!  Today is day 4....I am going strong, I am very proud, this is the first change in eating (I don't want to call it a diet) that I have stuck with for any length of time.  I think it is because I am actually satisfying my human needs for food!  I had a realization yesterday that I wanted to share.  In the past I was more of a "Hunter" of food than I am now - when I was eating low fat everything, and loads of carbs (whole wheat of course) it left me constantly hungry and always looking out for my next sugar fix. 

This morning I made it to the pool for a swim, I have been wanting to start doing that for a while and when I wrote out my goals - I made that one of mine...to swim at least once a week. 

Amberino - thank you for your help!!  I think that upping my protein and fat is a good idea, according to what you eat I am definitely not eating enough.   Breakfast is currently my smallest meal of the day and I will try to get it to the size of my lunch.

SharonNC - I was at the grocery yesterday and could not believe the food that had sugar in it, like salami?  really!

Snowflower - I had food dreams last night as well!

Demos - nice work getting yoga in this morning.

To clarify, bacon simply needs to follow the Whole30 rules to be compliant - no added sugar of any kind in the ingredient list. Organic and pastured is a strong recommendation based on your health and the health of pigs that come from the factory farming system, but this is not a mandatory requirement of the program - only a suggestion.

US Wellness Meats offers Whole30 Approved bacon (sugar-free, from pastured pigs raised antibiotic-free and in a natural environment). You can see their offerings at http://bit.ly/whole30bacon.

Melissa

Hi Everyone

I just found this post :-/ although I did start on Monday. My name is Denisse and this is my first whole30 and I am definitely excited, nervous.. scared?!?!

I am a pretty clean eater and I weightlift 2-3 a week although I decided to do the whole30 because I've come to the realization that I am starting to obsess over food/dieting/calorie-counting to the point where I really have no life. I have lost the apprecation for food and now its just about grams of carbs, fat, protein. I have also noticed I am starting to have some digestive issues plus a really strong addiction to artificial sweetners :-/.

I am glad to see that there are so many people who have started around the same time. And am looking forward to some encouragement/support throughout these 30 days (26 now ;) )
Its day 4 and although I feel pretty good I'm still dealing with getting hungry 2-3 hrs after breakfast since I guess my body is use to the 5-6 small meal timing I was doing before. I'm also stil sort of bloated but I've heard that passes... at least I hope. Also, I am still trying to get over the fear of fat and the compulsion to track my macros. So far today I've had:

Breakfast was a turkey/zucchini burger , over some spinach with a fried egg and homemade salsa on top, a cup of broccoli  and half a baked sweet potato with some almond butter (the egg was fried with coconut oil and I drizzled some on the broccoli). 

Anywho--sorry for the long post :unsure:

I tried to make the mayo the other day and all I got was a soupy mess.  Have no idea what I did wrong.  Any suggestions?

You want to make sure the egg and lemon juice are at room temperature, and when you blend the ingredients together, blend on low setting.  Do a slow pour of the olive oil - don't dump it in all at once.

I've made mayo 3 times so far, and feel fortunate that it's come out perfect every time. For me, following Melissa Joulwan's instructional video to the letter is the secret: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/

Primal Amy thanks for your input. I will have to take them back. 

Day 4 is going good so far. Yesterday was really hard for me. I live in Utah and the 24th is a holiday. My family had a big barbecue and I had previously signed up to bring the dessert. I made myself some sweet potato fries and ate a big bowl of fruit. So  I did pretty good except I had a tiny taste of my dessert to make sure it wasnt disgusting. I just dipped my finger in and licked it. I wish I wouldnt have now but I wanted to make sure it was edible. Ill try not to beat myself up about it. It could have been worse!  

GFChris - I just read your profile, I really like your approach for "living" after the Whole30.  That sounds like a very realistic plan.  I look forward to figuring out my plan at the end.  One question - how were you diagnosed Gluten Sensitive?  I know I have some type of problem with it as my stomach blows up like a baloon whenever I eat it.

Danid - ohhhh dessert!  I am a baker of all things sugar, so to stick with this way of eating will be a big shift for me, and everyone that knows me.  I have to make a cake for someone in 2 weeks and I will have to do it without tasting anything.  I have done it before so I know it will be good....I am going to have to trust my (unbloated) gut.

My daughter tried really hard to get me to order pizza last night, but I didn't budge. I am getting sick of eating the same thing, even though I still have leftovers, so I made some sweet potatoes last night and had them with breakfast. I also defrosted a chicken soup I made a while back and am eating that for lunch. Not sure yet what I am going to do with dinner. I still have half a pork chop left (they were huge, not the little ones you get at the grocery store), but like I said I am sick of leftovers. :)

I just picked up our monthly meat share and put out some chicken and ground pork to cook tonight or tomorrow for the weekend. I also decided to get up early Saturday morning to go check out a local farmer's market for produce.

primalamy - I am also an enthusiastic cook who sometimes makes too much and gets sick of my own leftovers.  It works for me to put the extras in the freezer once I realize the situation, and then have some "fast food" available later on.  No doubt you also know that trick! 

Day 4 going well for me so far.  I'm noticing that getting it all into 3 meals and not snacking when I'm hungry is a bit of a challenge.  I have a feeling that Friday night dinner with friends but without wine will also be a new frontier.  Although I have done Paleo pretty seriously before, I have never denied myself that treat...

And the pay off - it could just be luck, but my energy has been much better and yesterday (and hopefully also today), my afternoon crash disappeared.  My sleep is another story - still pretty bad.  Looking forward to continuing and appreciating this group!

So I am at the end of day 4 and I am making the decision now to not include nuts or nut butters anymore in my plan.  I am using them as a replacement for other snacky items.  Today I had way too many macadamia nuts mid morning and then when I thought my dinner did not have enough fat I went to town on a jar of almond butter.  It actually gave me a headache.  I could not throw it out so I decided to make some paleo cookies for my kids and husband that they can have this weekend.  Whew - it is out of the fridge....I won't have to look at it anymore.

38flamingo - cutting out snacking is a hard habit to break....I am with you on that one

Day 4- I'm feeling pretty good. Still a little tired but no headache! My body just feels better, not sure exactly, but maybe less bloated??? And....I'm so proud... I actually ate steak for breakfast!! (I'm am NOT a steak person)

Breakfast: steak, 2 fried eggs, peppers & onions

Lunch: lettuce, tuna, hard boiled egg, onion, 1/2 avocado

Dinner: grilled chicken, broccoli, salad, raspberries & blackberries

GFChris - I just read your profile, I really like your approach for "living" after the Whole30.  That sounds like a very realistic plan.  I look forward to figuring out my plan at the end.  One question - how were you diagnosed Gluten Sensitive?  I know I have some type of problem with it as my stomach blows up like a baloon whenever I eat it..

To make a really long story short, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. A month later, my PCP lined me up with a bunch of allergy tests, since folks with MS tend to have a lot of allergies. Among other things, those tests initially showed I wasn't good with wheat. I was then tested for celiac, which came up negative. Then I had a stool test that showed I was gluten sensitive.

Whole Amy- I love to bake as well and I LOVE sweets. I really would love to get to the point where I can stop eating them for good. Its somewhat easy to say goodbye for 30 days but to say Im done with them forever is a little overwhelming. I just hope I can get there and by the end of the 30 days decide not to go back. After my first Whole30 I fell hard back into old habits. I dont want that to happen this time. I also have decided not to eat almond butter this time because I cant control myself with it. I feel like I ate way too much of it last time.

Archived