Anyone else starting July 22nd?

primalamy

Salemsister - Thanks! I have been really trying hard with my cooking. :)

Whole Amy - you might want to try taking glutamine after you work out. I helps with sore muscles. Also taking magnesium or, even better, taking a bath with epson salts should help too. As far as pork goes, I'm going to quote Melissa from this post.

As for pork, it's darn near impossible to find truly 100% pastured pigs, but finding a source where the pigs are allowed access to their natural environment, and where they are able to express their natural tendencies (rooting, socializing, etc) is a good place to start.

So I would say pigs roaming free in the woods should be fine.

Breakfast was rump roast and veggies. Lunch was half a pork chop, squash, zucchini and guacamole. Dinner was a bison patty, spring mix salad, roasted beets and avocado. I don't know why, but I am really, really tired today. I need to clean the kitchen, but don't feel like even getting off the couch.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definitely noticing improved and more consistent energy levels.  Had a long day at work and was feeling it in my tight muscles, so when I got home I pulled out my yoga mat and favorite yoga DVD and did 30 minutes before cooking dinner.  That was amazing 1) because I didn't just get home and collapse on the couch in exhaustion and 2) I wasn't so starving when I got home that I had to eat before I could do anything else.  Both of those are excellent improvements.

Tonight I improvised dinner and it ended up being really good: sauteed diced red pepper, onion, & sweet potato, stir fried some chicken, added coconut milk and simmered... the whole thing was seasoned with garaam masala and all spice.  Yummy!  I'm getting more confident cooking Whole30 compliant without a recipe.

Hi Everyone - i woke up today in a zone, ready to go, felt really good.  I am noticing a lot clarity in my thinking which is wonderful.  Last night we were away during dinner time so I ate a large snack at 5pm and then snacked more in the evening when we got home at 7:30.   It was not prefect, but I stayed on plan!   Today I had hard boiled eggs again for breakfast...I am noticing that I three of them fills me up a lot more than 3 scambled eggs.   for lunch I had a salad that I made at whole foods.....too many things there had canola oil in them...boooo.  

Here is to another great day in whole30 land.....I am starting to think about life after this.  I really think wheat is an issue for me, so I don't think I will bring that back.  Sugar, I will try not...I don't see the point....I don't like myself on Sugar!  The sugar-free version of myself is a lot better ;)

A question to float out there... Days 16, 17 and 18 (today) my sinuses have been acting up more than normal. I'm trying to determine if it's an adjustment to the new way of eating or just a bad part of the season for allergies. Anyone else having sinus/allergy issues that are worse than normal?

A question to float out there... Days 16, 17 and 18 (today) my sinuses have been acting up more than normal. I'm trying to determine if it's an adjustment to the new way of eating or just a bad part of the season for allergies. Anyone else having sinus/allergy issues that are worse than normal?

KC, My nose dripped from Days 10-14. I have no explanation. I don't know if it's related to Whole30 or if I was fighting something and it was really mild. Anyway....I'm clear now.

WholeAmy, I'm obsessed with brushing my teeth now. I had a very bad habit of eating something sweet almost every day after lunch and dinner. I craved sweets so badly after those meals. The cravings are gone, but my teeth feel fuzzy after meals. A quick brushing and I feel great though.

My first dinner out was no problem! We ordered guacamole with half chips (for my bf) and half jicama and cucumber (for me). He was so cute stealing the jicama from my side bc he thought it tested better than the chips!! :) Then I had 3 different ceviches for my entree. Two had tuna and the other shrimp and squid. Mmmmm

Question for those of you who exercise.....what if I'm not hungry post workout? I do a 30 minute boot camp 3x a week and 1 60 minute boot camp / week on Saturdays. Is it okay to skip if I'm not hungry? Pre Whole30, I would have a smoothie of some kind with either hemp or whey protein. But I was hungry. I'm not hungry any more. I tried having a smaller breakfast, but then I felt weak during my workout.

Happy Day 18!

Snowflower, I don't feel hungry much anymore and I definitely have not felt any of those shaky "must eat now" low carb moments since we began, even though I used to tell time by them when they struck daily around 1030.

I have read different opionions on pre/post WO eating (so many online, also from ISWF, WellFed and Practical Paleo) and in the past I have always had something before and after. Pre Whole30: powdered "energy drink" supplement and after protein shake. Last week I tried a small protein snack before like strip of roasted chicken and after hard-boiled egg.

Losing track of my sources since I have read a lot lately on the subject but may be Practical Paleo who advised skipping pre/post WO grub if you really want to lose weight and force your body to utilize stored fat. Source also believed that eating shortly after WO was a bad idea since your body was still in the "fight or flight" response and needed a half hour or so to unwind and digest properly.

So this week, I hit CrossFit for my 60min WO without any pre/post snacks. I felt fine before, during and after and did have enough energy and motivation to complete the workout. Still working on perfect coordination for double-unders tho : )

As a nurse, I would advise to see how you feel. I am not a super athlete by any means and presently re-habbing from ankle injury so maybe at this point, I don't need a snack. If you feel shaky or weak or are into endurance sports, then you probably do. I'll see if I can track down thise sources properly...

Breakfast was rump roast, kale and sauerkraut. Lunch was strawberries, coconut milk and cinnamon, and the rest of my pork chop with some guacamole. Dinner was baked salmon with roasted broccoli and mushrooms. I took out a whole chicken to defrost. I plan on slow roasting it to make the skin really crispy. :)

Don't know what I did differently, but now you can see me right side up.

Incredible once a year special vacation dinner tonight - lobster cooked at the fish store, and home to eat! I know its not everyone's taste, but I savored every plain steamed, no need for butter, morsel. Complemented it with a salad. whole 30 all the way!

I am starting to get anxious about the few days coming up soon when I'll be traveling and won't be staying places with a kitchen. I'm working on trusting that I can carry a few backup supplies, and choose restaurants where I can find somthing to eat. I do believe its possible, and want to focus on where I am without obsessing about what I'm going to eat next...

When I started my Whole30, I put two jars on my kitchen table. In the first I put 30 pebbles and the second was empty. Each day that I've successfully completed, I've moved a pebble into the second jar. It's been helpful visual motivation! And now the second jar is more full than the first.  We're definitely into the second half now.  And it's definitely feeling easier now than it did the first week.

I do have moments though when I find my mind wandering to popcorn and bagels, although once I catch myself I seem to be able to move on to thinking about other things. I wonder if that will eventually go away?

Got home from work and made Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs.  Also spent the evening prepping food for the next few days - tuna salad and a batch of "the best chicken ever" which I actually took the time to brine today. Unfortunatley I don't have a grill, so I baked it. We'll see how it tastes!

Hi Everyone - Day 19...unbeleivable!  I am in a mode now where I want to stay with this forever.  I feel so darn good, last night I slept better than I have in a long time.  I did not spend much time on the computer in the evening which is helpful and I went to bed almost an hour earlier than usual....I got a full 8 hours of sleep!  I went swimming this morning and noticed again like I did on Wed when I ran that I am not pushing through the workout....the time just goes by and it is much more enjoyable.  I have always liked working out, but I feel like it is even better now.

Food is getting boring, I need to work on that.  Tonight we are going to make tacos, I will make a taco salad sans cheese and sour cream.

Elizabeth - I think it will be about choices.  I am realizing that I never loved how a heavy amount of carbs made me feel in the first place, if I get put in a situation where I think it will be worth it I will have the item...but right now I don't see how I would want to let a blob of dough take hold of me like I let it in the past!  I hope you like the chicken, i made some on the grill and in the oven, grill was better but I am not sure if that was because the chicken was super high quality or the flavor from the grill.

Dernos recommended the book, Why We Get Fat a few days ago.  I bought it on Audible....I have only listened to a few chapters...but it is very interesting, and that is coming from someone who reads heath and diet books for fun :)  The main premise of the book is what he said in his post : carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat.   No amount of exercise or starvation will help with weight loss in the presence of loads of insulin.  Makes perfect sense and why for years all of the lower carb meals I ate were worthless because I flooded my body with high carb snacks in between meals, keeping my insulin levels up all the time.  ISWF also talks about insulin....but this book just drives home the point some more.

Have a GREAT day everyone, and lets set the stage for a good weekend.

My tiger's blood has been gone this week. I am hoping I get it back soon. :( Breakfast was rump roast (I still have more left) with broccoli and sauerkraut. Lunch was baked salmon with broccoli and mushrooms. Dinner was spring salad with beets, avocado and grilled zucchini and a bunless burger with baked sweet potatoes.

I am still having some stomach issues. If I am still having them after the 30 days is up, I think I am going to have to look into doing a low fodmap diet. I really don't want to since I am already doing an autoimmune diet, but we will see what happens.

Good morning all! We have started Saturday hours at the VA, so I'm at work today. We are working with a very small crew (only 5 of us) so I brought my mini grill for a Whole30 picnic lunch!! Grassfed burgers, paleo ketchup & mayo, fresh lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, pineapple cole slaw, asparagus with olive oil & garlic and some grilled pineapple on the menu too! At least if we have to be at work we can have an awesome lunch!

A friend offered me a bagel and cream cheese this morning but I politely declined. She is pushing her "pre-cooked chicken burgers" for our BBQ but I have no doubts they are full of gluten and soybean oil and who knows what else. The "grill marks" are already stamped on to the chicken patty so I'll have to dodge those in favor of good old American beef!

I saw this deal on Amazon Local for grass-fed beef grilling packages and wanted to share it with our group...

http://local.amazon.com/north-jersey/B00ECFAQ6W src=email&cid=em_dd_079_101_na_s1_&ref_=pe_357620_31786200

Went to the Farmer's market this morning and got a bunch of organic veggies. We decided to eat there since they have a bunch of prepared food places, but it turns out there wasn't much I could eat. I am doing the autoimmune protocol, so nightshades, eggs, nuts and lots of seed spices are out. There was a burger place, but they pre-marinate their burgers in a sauce that included tomatoes and peppers. :( I felt kind of like a jerk going to each place, questioning them about their ingredients, then telling them I couldn't eat their food. My husband and daughter got crepes and I was so jealous.

I finally got just a container of pulled chicken. It had a little cayenne in the rub, but I figured it was so little it wouldn't matter. I also got a fresh squeezed juice of beets, cucumbers, carrots and apples. I was still hungry when I got home, so I made some ground beef with kale and mushrooms. Dinner was a slow cooked pork loin, and I made a really delicious side dish with apples, purple cabbage and onions, with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and cinnamon.

Ugh- I feel bloated tonight. I think I have eaten too much at lunch and dinner, but I have found some foods that are so good that I didn't want to stop. I need to remember to listen to my body, and when I take the deep breath (my signal for "I am satisfied"), I need to stop. I don't remember paying attention to that today. On a good note, today was pretty easy to stay on plan, even with attending a reception at work where the only thing on plan was ice water!

I'm curious what other people have found to be their body's way of saying "I'm satisfied".

Last night a good friend had me over for dinner and before hand she researched Whole30 and made sure to cook what I could eat. It was so nice to have a great meal that I didn't have to prepare!  She even bought grass-fed beef and ended up making this "Mexican Meetza" and it was so good that it's going on my "make it soon" list.  It was yet another creative way to eat more meat, veggies & avocado.

Keeping variety in my diet is part of the recipe for success for me... so it's been great to find new recipes like this.

Hi everyone! I've had a very busy week, 3 nephews stayed with us. (1 in diapers). This made 6 kids to feed and get ready and out the door every night for some sort of practice or game. Fall sports also started this week!!

Whew! It was a challenging week. I'd give myself a B-. I had a couple days where I was snacking and turned to fruit and nuts. They were just too easy to grab. BUT...I'm back on track for today....day 21!! That's almost unbelievable to me. Even though I've had some not so good moments, I'm still feeling so good. I spent my morning reading the journal i started on day 1. It is pretty helpful in seeing where I've come from and what else i need to work on.

Some goals for the next week:

1. Better meal planning

2. Try some new recipes

3. Eat the beets I bought a few days ago

4. Some form of exercise EVERY day

5. Cook a delicious meal for our Anniversary that's Whole30 compliant

Does anyone have suggestions or recipes for a special occasion?? I'd rather cook for our anniversary than go to a restaurant. Thanks!

Hey all!

Still going strong here too! Elizabeth that is a good friend! How awesome that she did some research and prepared a compliant dinner for you both! SunnyJen - how about a little surf and turf for your special dinner. Not much that beats steak and shrimp - add some grilled veggies and a sweet potato and voila!

Feeling good but physically exhausted at the moment - guess that's what about 5 hours in the kitchen doing food prep for the week will do to ya! Makes for a long Sunday - but much easier a week!

Keep it up!

Jen

Happy day 21! We are 2/3 of the way done!

Breakfast was the very last of the rump roast with broccoli and sauerkraut. I didn't really have lunch since we were out running errands until almost 4pm, so I banana and kombucha while getting dinner prepped. Dinner was a grilled london broil, grilled veggies and grilled pineapple with cinnamon (so good).

I also roasted some more beets and have a whole chicken in the oven right now to eat tomorrow.

way to go everyone - looks like we made it through another weekend!  Like Sunnyjen I went to fruit in a few times of panic/ hunger over the weekend, but i am back on track today.  I stopped the nuts a week or so ago so I did not have those to go to, otherwise I would have!  I did have a big success yesterday, I went all morning without a snack...that is HUGE for me.  I told myself I could have lunch early if I was really hungry.  I went from 7am to 11am and had lunch then.  I think I do better with 4 meals a day than 3, 7, 11, 2 and 6:30.  How often do others eat?

My sleep improved BIG time over the weekend, I woke up very refreshed and the bags under my eyes are gone.  I am still getting up to go to the restroom some nights, I must be drinking more water at night than I think I am.

SunnyJen - congrats on your anniversary - how about a Mustard/ Coconut Aminos salmon over some sauteed spinach or kale?  Side of roasted squash or parsnips?

Here is to the final week everyone - we can do it!

Here we are - Day 22 and in the home stretch!!!

Wholeamy - I am pretty much good with 3 meals a day. Eat at 8:30 - 12:30 - 6:30 or there about. I know they say to eat within an hour of waking, but I don't usually have my first meal until about 2 hours after. Just how my schedule works and it works for me. Sometimes I have a snack of some almonds (Trader Joe's raw almonds individual snack packs). But that's not the norm.

I wish I could say that I am still not tired - but I am. Last night was just a crappy sleep night (with 2 bathroom visits) and so am feeling sluggish this morning. All in all it is ok - haven't found the Tiger Blood yet! HA!

Have a great one, y'all!

Jen

Archived