How I prep hard "boiled" eggs

CMich76

Just thought I would share this trick...

We hard cook our eggs in the oven! I place large eggs (as many as you can fit) in a COLD oven directly in the rack with a pan underneath to catch any that might break. Turn to 325 and cook 30 minutes. Remove to an ice bath for about 20 minutes. They have turned out perfectly every time I've done it!

Also, after cracking, using a spoon to help get the shell off helps! :D

I think they taste 'different' I like the taste and texture and for me with being the mom of a toddler, being able to pop a few muffin pans in the oven vs watching a pot come to a boil is a big boon. You can just put the eggs in the oven, set the timer and there you go. 

Thanks! I'll have to try this when it cools down enough for me to turn the oven on again. I wonder if there's any nutritional difference? Like if baking might preserve any minerals that could be leached through the shell when boilinng, or if the shell is so impermeable that it doesn't matter how you cook them.

I've been playing with egg reintroduction, and so far it seems it's way harder for me to digest boiled eggs than fried, I wonder how baked will be?

What's the point of doing it that way vs boiling? Do they taste better?

I agree that the texture is a *little* bit different. I just think it's easier. Boiling them has always been hit or miss with me, and this is way more consistent!

My issue is they don't ever peel well for me. We have a flock of hens in our backyard. Because we eat eggs so frequently, we don't have "old" eggs. I've tried every method I've read about... including piercing the end with a pin as well as using baking soda in the water.

I'll give this a try and report back.

thanks!

Archived