This may just be the hardest test of my life, and that's coming from a college student.

HaleyML

This is going to be the hardest test of my life. I love baked goods, I love sugar, I love mexican food, however, my intestines hate all of this. I was diagnosed with a corn allergy about a year and a half ago and I've been able to cut that out so I figured I should be able to do this too. I have suffered from stomach issues, indescribable aches and pains, and severe allergies and asthma my whole life. It is time I do something about this other than turning to medication. I'm mostly worried about the cost of fresher food and things like coconut flour. I am a sophomore in college and for the first time in my life I have to pay for everything myself. No more turning to mommy and daddy to pay the difference in my bills, which means I have to be frugal as well and healthy in the next 30 days. Not to mention I am on a traveling ultimate frisbee team, aka a team that eats out at every tournament, parties fairly often, and constantly snacks on tournament days. I am hoping this challenge will give me more energy on the field as well as off, but traveling and eating with them will probably be the most difficult. Not to mention the no alcohol for a whole month... that's at least a couple of crazy tournament parties. This will be tough but I will do it. I want to feel truly healthy for the first time in my life, and hopefully finally kick these allergies and stomach issues in the butt. Wish me luck!!

Hi Hayley, welcome. Yes it can seem very hard at the beginning but it does get easier as it goes on, honest :)  Fresh foods can seem more expensive but there are a lot of threads on here about how to W30 on a budget. You don't actually need expensive things like coconut flour and think of the money you'll save on things like alcohol, unhealthy snacks etc. Travelling and tournament days are probably going to be your most difficult but forward planning should really help. good luck and don't be afraid to ask any questions you have.

it's not going to be hard, and you're not going to be deprived!! you're going to feel fantastic, and you're filling your body with lots of good, wholesome food and lots of nutrients.

(that's what you need to tell yourself... :D)

it does get easier, and if you're determined to stick to it you will - just remember why you're doing it every time you crave something, or when friends/team mates offer you things you're avoiding.

in terms of cost, maybe try cheaper cuts of meat (these may require slow cooking in chilli/stew/casserole etc), and stick to vegies and fruit that are in season. frozen veggies may be a good option for you as these are usually cheaper.  you don't need coconut flour - we've used it twice in 2 weeks! - and nuts aren't recommended, so don't buy them!

I know that a "true" whole30 means eating organic, grass fed beef, chicken, pork, etc., but you can get a pretty good experience if you are careful and mindful about the cuts of meat you choose, even if they aren't organic and grass fed. I try to buy a few cuts that are organic/grass fed each week, then the rest are just regular cuts. Yes, I know that there may be things that aren't the best for me, but I believe I am making educated purchases and looking out for my wallet at the same time. It takes time to plan, shop and cook, but you can do it!

As a college student who may be on a meal plan, it will be harder for you, but if you focus on eating WHOLE foods, you will be on the right track and will see a difference I how you feel. That said, if you are hoping to identify possible allergies/intolerances, you will have to put more time and effort into sourcing compliant food.

Good luck! Sounds like you are determined and resourceful and ready to take charge of your health! You can do it!

Thanks everyone, these comments really help! I will be looking for the sales and going for cheaper cuts of meat, hopefully. I do know I am intolerant to corn fed beef so that may mean more chicken and fish for me, but I will definitely be doing some proactive grocery shopping. And good to know about the coconut flour, I will go as long as possible without buying that because I'm pretty sure my wallet won't like that one. This support and motivation really helps, and I will keep telling myself it's good for me until the cravings stop (fake it till ya make it, right?). Thanks again everyone!!

Archived