The start of Whole30 Log

nlevy12

Today is start of my 30 day journey and I was surprised at how dare I say easy the transition has been. Although I anticipate struggles in the future, I feel a sense of optimism as Day 1 concludes. One of my biggest issues in the past has been eating out of stress, which has really become a problem as of late. Looking back at my last quarter in college, it was ridiculous at the extreme binge eating that would occur during midterm or finals week. As summer school is beginning, I felt the same issues would ensue, so I'm hoping this challenge will spark a new and healthier me! I also enjoy going to the gym 6 days a week, so I'm hoping that the combination of exercise and proper food choices will help me live a healthier lifestyle free of cravings and binge eating.

Breakfast - 8:15 AM

3 eggs with 1/4 of a zucchini, 1/2 onion, handful of carrots, arugula, cilantro, 5 cremini mushrooms (I'm not used to eating whole eggs and not just egg whites, but I felt fuller and more satisfied as I went through my workout)

apple

Gym - 9:00-11:00 AM

Treadmill (ran 2 miles at a fairly good pace, but Im hoping to extend it to 3 or 4 miles overtime) and bicep/tricep workout

Lunch - 1:30 PM

Spinach Salad with chicken, beets, peperoncinis

Snack - 4:30 PM

Mango and small peach

Dinner - 7:00 PM (planning)

Sweet Potato with sautéed garlic, onions, mushroom (shitake, cremini, oyster)

I am not used to cooking with fat, so that is something that I will have to adjust to (I normally just use those sprays) Overall, it was a good day, but I'm not sure if I'm eating too much or not enough, so that is something I will have to gauge as well.

Your log actually looks really good. Seems like you are doing just great with the protein and veggies. I didn't see fat logged anywhere. Be sure to add fat to each meal, cooking in fat is not always enough…you can also add fat i.e. olives, avocado, olive oil, coconut flakes, etc. It will certainly help keep you full which will in turn, help with the cravings/binge eating.

Also, keep in mind as you progress through your whole 30, you may want to add in pre and/or post workout meals. I noticed your workout ended at 11 today, but then you didn't eat until 1:30. Typically you would want to bring a post workout meal with you to the gym…don't leave before you eat it, then have your next meal. Does that make sense?

Here are some guidelines for pre/post workout meals when you are ready…

Pre-Workout:

Eat a small amount of protein (1/2 a meal size or smaller), and (optionally) a small amount of fat (1/2 a meal size or smaller). Do not add fruit or carb-dense veggies to your pre-workout snack.

Post-Workout:

Eat a meal sized easily digestible protein, up to a fist-sized portion of carb-dense veggies and little to no fat. Do not use fruit as your primary post-workout carb source, but rather choose sweet potato or yams or squash or pumpkin or beets. Your post-workout meal is a bonus meal and should not replace breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is designed to help you recover from a high intensity workout.

Thanks for the tips. I normally have a low-carb high protein yogurt along with whey protein directly after a workout, but to commit to the Whole30 I am going to have to change it up. It may also be a struggle because generally I am not very hungry after a workout, so the idea of eating a whole meal will take some adjusting too.

If this helps, for post workout I usually bring leftover protein from lunch, which is usually leftover protein from dinner the night before and a sweet potato. I only cook once a day, dinner, and cook enough to have leftovers for breakfast, lunch and pre/post workout the next day. This is my way of making my life easy.

You are just starting, so don't stress about it too much. I only mentioned pre/post workout as something to keep in mind while you progress through your W30. If you find you want, or rather need, more food, it is something to consider.

In the mean time…keep it simple, each meal should have protein, fat and veggies. Even snacks…snacks are just mini meals. (protein, fat, veggies)

You got this!

Thanks! I definitely need some pre-workout snacks as I felt sluggish during and after today's workout.

Breakfast- 8AM

3 eggs with sautéed: a couple slices of zucchini, handful of carrots, cilantro arugula, 3 crimini mushrooms, 1/2 onion, cayenne pepper, paprika, TBSP olive oil

Workout- 12:15PM - 2PM

Treadmill and chest exercises

Lunch- 2:15PM

Spinach salad with chicken, beets, pepperoncini

A couple slices of leftover sweet potatoes, onions, garlic

Peach

Snack- 4PM

Mango

Dinner- 7PM

Tilapia with sautéed garlic, asparagus, bok choy and roasted brussel sprouts and onion

I had a great night's sleep and am starting to feel a transformation in body through my food selection and exercise!

Breakfast: 8AM

3 eggs with sautéed onions, mushrooms, carrots, arugula, cilantro, celery, 1/2 TBSP olive oil

apple

Gym: 8:45AM-11AM

Elliptical with a back/shoulder workout (I didn't feel any of the sluggishness that I experienced yesterday, and I was able to sustain my energy levels from beginning to end which was great)

Post-Workout: 11:15AM

small spinach salad with chicken and a couple pepperoncinis and a couple slices of cucumber

Mango

Lunch: 3:30 PM

Leftover Tilapia from last night

Dinner: Planned

Baked Chicken breast with olive oil, salt, pepper, curry powder with sautéed asparagus and mushroom medley

Possibly some cantaloupe (I bought so much fresh fruit at the grocery store and don't want it to go to waste!)

Day 4

Breakfast 8:15 AM

2 eggs with 3 turkey sausage links with sautéed onions, carrots, celery, spinach, cilantro and some salsa

peach

Lunch 1:00 PM

Leftover Chicken breast and mushroom medley from yesterday

Pineapple

Snack 4PM

Cantaloupe

handful of pistachios

Dinners 8PM

Sweet Potato Hash with sautéed garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, onions, spinach, cilantro and salsa!

Overall it was a decent day for me. I felt hungry towards 4PM so I gave in and had a little cantaloupe and pistachios. It was a good recovery day for me and I plan on hitting the gym hard again tomorrow. The stress is also starting to creep in as I have a big midterm on Tuesday but Im dedicated to a healthier lifestyle and the Whole30 challenge so I hope I will not give in. :wacko:

Day 5

Breakfast 8:15 AM

2 eggs with sautéed celery, carrot, spinach, cilantro with salsa

Workout: 9:15 AM - 11:30 AM

Treadmill and bicep/tricep exercise

Lunch: 11:45 AM

Leftover baked chicken breast with sweet potato fritter

Snack: 3:30 PM

Rainier cherries

Dinners: 8PM

3 turkey sausage links with mushroom medley and costco frozen vegetables

Day 6

I woke up with very little energy today and felt zombie like. I think this can probably be attributed to my dinner last night which left me hungry around 10 PM. Instead of giving into the hunger I just tried to sleep it off, but even that was difficult. Anyways heres the the day 6 log:

Breakfast 8:00AM

3 eggs with sauteed onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery, cilantro and salsa

apple

plum

Workout: 8:45AM-10:30AM

Elliptical and chest exercises

Post-workout/lunch 10:45AM

Baked Chicken Breast and sweet potato fritter

Snack 3PM

Rainier Cherries

handful of pistachios

Dinners 7PM

Spinach Salad with chicken, celery, carrots, pepperoncinis, cucumber, tomatos

Sweet Potato hash( sweet potato, 2 eggs and diced onion)

Day 7

Breakfast: 8:15AM

2 eggs with 2 turkey sausage links with sautéed carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms

Peach

Apple

Workout: 11:15AM-1PM

Treadmill + back/shoulder workout

Lunch: 1:15PM

Spinach salad with chicken, beets, cucumber slices, cherry tomatos

Snack 4PM

Rainier cherries

Dinners: 8PM

Tilapia with frozen costco veggies and sautéed garlic and kale

Day 8

Breakfast 8:15AM