Calcium Deposits

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I got my mom to participate in a Whole30 (after a LOT of convincing and reading her passages from ISWF) and she discovered yesterday that she has calcium deposits in her shoulder. The Dr. suggested surgery but I am hoping there's a more holistic method to get rid of calcium deposits. 

Has anyone had any experience with something like this? 

Would her Whole30 help in any way? I know she has systemic inflammation that will get better with the Whole30 but I'm not sure about calcium deposits.

• Moderators

Eating Whole30-style can only help and may improve issues with calcium deposits as well as general inflammation. A Whole30-style diet is higher in vitamin K related foods than a standard diet and it seems that vitamin K helps to collect calcium from places it does not belong in the body. Personally, I take vitamin K supplements every day in addition to eating a lot of foods that are rich in vitamin K because vitamin K may help remove arterial calcification. For more info, see http://examine.com/supplements/Vitamin+K/

Tom - that article was interesting! I supplement Vit K as well, to assist in managing my inherited clotting factor deficiency. Despite what your link said towards the end, I do experience benefits from supplementing Vit K. To be fair, I've started out with a much lower level of clotting protein (two in particular) than the average, which is what they mentioned as being tested on. Also, most studies for people with bleeding disorders of this kind are done on people with severe deficiencies and on men, not women, so I don't fit into those categories either. I like the explanation of the 'K' origins too!

Archived