Planning for a long bike ride

jacmic

Hi everyone! My husband and I are planning a 50 mile bike ride on Saturday and will be finishing up week 2 of our first Whole30. It's fairly hot here so I'm looking for Whole30 compliant hydration and snacks to take with us on our ride. I did a search before posting and found an idea for water made with orange and some salt - love that idea but just searching for a few more b/c I don't a huge fan of citrus (ie, I hate oranges!) 

Thanks!

I have not done any distance cycling in a while, though I am starting to get back into it.   I would suggest Lara Bars for quick portable energy or dates and a baggy of cashews and walnuts or whatever other types of compliant nuts you like.  They tend to hold up well in a jersey pocket or seat bag.  If you can find compliant salted nuts I'd go with those.  One bottle of coconut water might be a good idea to supplement you hydration needs if water is not enough for you.  I have never used it, but I know people who swear by it.

If you want to go really crazy: puree some fruit add a little salt and put in it those pouches they use for baby food now a days.  Maybe some mango and peach or even apple sauce.  Make your own energy goo. 

Other portable foods:

Raisins

Other dried fruit

carrots - but that sounds horrible for a bike ride

I had great success on my 15-mile long run with coconut water. I also stuffed dates with homemade cashew/almond butter... Put some nut butter in a ziplock bag, cut off the corner (a very tiny little piece), and use that to squeeze the nut butter into the dates (much like you would with do with a bag of frosting to decorate a cake). I froze my dates after I stuffed them, then wrapped them individually into wax paper (like how caramels are wrapped) and then kept them in the freezer until the morning of my run. It all worked really well for me and having them individually wrapped (and all put into a ziplock bag) kept any messes inside my fuel belt from happening.

I had great success on my 15-mile long run with coconut water. I also stuffed dates with homemade cashew/almond butter... Put some nut butter in a ziplock bag, cut off the corner (a very tiny little piece), and use that to squeeze the nut butter into the dates (much like you would with do with a bag of frosting to decorate a cake). I froze my dates after I stuffed them, then wrapped them individually into wax paper (like how caramels are wrapped) and then kept them in the freezer until the morning of my run. It all worked really well for me and having them individually wrapped (and all put into a ziplock bag) kept any messes inside my fuel belt from happening.

That sounds delicious. I am going to try that!

Archived