whole30 with anxiety

I suffer from general anxiety disorder which can lead to depression.  And just completed my first whole30 on June 30th. 

Leading up to my whole30 in June, I had increasing daily anxiety issues and anxiety attacks a few times a week plus I was depressed.  The next step in the cycle for me would have been major panic attacks.  After the first few days of whole30, my anxiety issues diminished significantly and I had zero anxiety attacks for the month (woohoo!).  I was still depressed, but it was more manageable. 

I was lucky that my anxiety didn't get worse before it got better.   The things that helped me were:  (1) having a plan for eating (2) being prepared with lots of compliant food in the house (3) I ate starchy veggies at 1-2 meals each day (4) I maintained my exercise routine and ran 3-4 times a week (5) kept my goals simple

Not everyone who suffers from anxiety will have the same results.  In fact there was a post a few days ago about someone with panic attacks that got worse during the first few days of her whole30.  If you search the forums for anxiety, depression or panic attack, you'll find lots of info.  Reading up on others' experience really helped me prior to doing my W30.

In July I've off roaded quite a bit and the anxiety has come back.  So for me it's definitely worth while to get back to eating more like I did during my whole30.   I can't speak for everyone, but I'm one case where it helped.

I received enormous relief from depression and anxiety via the Whole 30 plan.  For the most part I have stayed on the program since I first started in July 2012,  but  I experienced a relapse of symptoms a couple of months ago when I was off-roading a little too often with sugar.  I'm rocking this current W30 (day 16) and feeling great again.  Eliminating sugar, dairy and processed foods makes a huge difference in my wellness.

I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and have found the Whole30 has reduced my experience of worrying and especially my nighttime anxiety. I am currently on day 19 of my first Whole30, but plan to continue far beyond the 30 days due to the positive impact it has had on my anxiety symptoms.

I've had anxiety and depression issues for many many years, stopping drinking ameliorated it to a large degree.  There's real life though and it's shitty at times and downright scary, anxiety is a real thing, how you acknowledge it is what defines your relationship with it..  

So saying it will get worse before it gets better is a self-fulfilling prophecy  Believing that makes it  ABSOLUTLEY assured that it will get worse before it gets better. 

Anxiety, imo, is relative.  Take your anxious, probably nonreal fear that's building up in you.  Now imagine another person could read your thoughts, what would they say?  Be that person.  They'd say these are just intrusive thoughts that are taking up too much time and energy, they're not real.

I fully understand acknowledging that is very tough and to put into practice even tougher but it's the way past it.  Will a whole30 be difficult? Maybe, will it make you feel emotions that aren't butterflies and flowers? Maybe but see that it's for your benefit.  Nothing is easy*.  Everyone has anxiety, we're just people who allow it to snowball, to consume us, we make it our reality.  None of it is real, it all exists in a small part of your mind but it grows into something that appears to be "non-getting-past-able".  I don't say you can control it, you for the most part have control over .001% of the world.  Don't think about elephants, see you just did.  Accept that, go into the process positive 

*Easy is allowing a fear to make your world smaller and smaller 

This is amazing:  "An interesting genetic association has been made between joint laxity and anxiety disorders. Both anomalies are thought to have a common origin in an abnormality in chromosome 15."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligamentous_laxity

Interesting article but, unfortunately, it states this without giving any references or sources so it's impossible to delve into it any further or even know why they make this statement.

Archived