First-timer Starting 8/1

Darlene

Quick background:

I first heard about Paleo several months ago, and understood the mindset right away.  I never have been comfortable with the "low fat" craze, nor the cholesterol fears/myths that have led so many people astray with diets that exacerbate problems related to insulin and end up making matters worse.

Since then, I've begun eating pastured chicken, beef, eggs, butter from pastured cows, and adding coconut oil to my diet.  I've also started making bone broth from the pastured chickens, though I don't consume as much as I could.  I've cut down on grains somewhat, but have been eating quinoa and rice - the latter simply because I love it, not because I'm under any illusions as to its health value.  I hope I'll be able to tolerate quinoa and some rice once I'm past the Whole30 (or Whole45/60, which I'm open to this becoming, if it seems like I need to extend), but I guess we'll see.

With just those minor changes I've made so far, my sweet tooth has moderated quite a lot.  It's still fairly strong, but it's quite common, now, to find a lot of things to be "too sweet".  That in itself is pretty amazing!  Along with having spontaneously dropped about 11 lbs., it's what gives me the confidence to do this!  Knowing it's possible to get to a place where I genuinely won't want these things is the only way I'll ever be able to make lifelong changes!   

I am still a little nervous about how hard this might be.  I think my body has already started the switch from being a sugar-burner to being more of a fat-burner, as evidenced by the spontaneous weight loss, but I've been craving inappropriate carbs a lot in the last few days, so I know this will still be challenging, physiologically and psychologically/emotionally! 

I just signed up for the Whole30 Daily for support.  Between that and the support of forum members here, I know I can do it!  :)

Hi Darlene

Good on you!! I'm going to start my Whole30 on Monday - I know it's not the first of the month but I have good reasons. Mostly that first I will have to quit smoking this weekend AND stop drinking hahahaha

I wish you the best of luck and hope to see your posts on here again. I was thinking of spending the money and joining the daily thingy as I think I may need all the encouragement I can get.

Best wishes on your journey.

Jayne

:)

Thank you very much, Jayne, and good luck to you as well, especially with quitting smoking!  I smoke socially enough to know how hard that can be.  Even though I'm not physically addicted, it's going to be hard to pass up on the smokes when I'm around a smoker. 

But we can do this!  It's time.  :)

Thanks for the feedback on the email service, HollyBee, and good luck on your second.  What's your start date?

Day 1

Easy peasy, despite having neglected to do some grocery shopping ahead of time. 

Breakfast was a handful of frozen broccoli and 3/4 of a large yellow squash sauteed in coconut oil, into which I scrambled three eggs.  I also had one cup of coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon.  I did miss the sugar (I'm used to very sweet coffee), but the coconut milk was perfectly acceptable!

Still needed to shop, so lunch was a "make do" can of soy-free tuna (did you know that even water-packed tuna has soy in it???) mixed with avocado, tomato, and lemon juice, seasoned with salt, garlic, and onion powder.  Also had a small Granny Smith apple. 

Dinner was late because I still hadn't gotten groceries, and there wasn't much left in the house that sounded good.  So I finally got to the store.  Came home with a pre-cooked chicken (not my usual pastured chicken) which provided my protein for the evening.  I wanted some steamed broccoli, but had also neglected to clarify some butter for it, which I wanted badly!  (Coconut oil is okay, but I'd had it for breakfast, and I'm really more of a butter girl!)  So while the butter was clarifying, I nibbled on some tiny cherry tomatoes and black olives (nice to be rediscovering olives!).  Once the butter was done, I drizzled a good amount on the broccoli and ate that with the chicken.  Finished my meal with two organic apricots, and feel awesome!

I have had a few inappropriate food desires, but keeping them from becoming full-blown fantasies was not hard. 

Still to do:

Take photos and measurements and set goals!  I didn't read my Day 0 email closely enough, and missed those steps.  Oops. 

Day 2

Another fairly easy day, more or less.  Got pretty hungry just a couple hours after meal 2 and needed a snack.  Same thing is happening now.  It's about 9:45, I ate dinner about two hours ago, and am already starting to feel a little hungry again.  Not sure why.  Definitely getting enough fat and protein.  Not tempted to have a snack, though, and hopefully going to bed before too much longer anyway. 

Meal one:

Scrambled eggs (3 1/2) and kale sauteed in clarified butter.  Coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon.

Meal two:

Ground beef (grass fed) with onions and zucchini mixed in; steamed carrots on the side.  While preparing the main course, nibbled on about a T. of macadamia nuts and two apricots.

Snack:

A small gala apple with almond butter.

Meal three:

Leftover ground beef mix and carrot from lunch plus a baked sweet potato with lots of butter.

Perhaps I shouldn't be eating fruit before the main course, or as a snack?

Other stuff:

Seems like I slept unusually hard last night.  I don't generally think of myself as someone who has trouble sleeping, but I bet the late-night carbs I've been accustomed to in the past affected my sleep more than I realized!

Forgot, again, to take measurements and set goals today.  One of my goals from the beginning, though, has been to do Qigong daily.  I did not meet that goal on day one, but I DID do my Qigong routine this morning, first thing.  (Well, right after feeding the kitties.)  I'm sure "first thing" is going to be key.  One minor issue with that, though, is that it's a 45 minute routine.  So kinda hard to eat meal one within an hour of getting up. 

It was a good day!  :)

Like you suggested, perhaps try and avoid snacks of fruit....if you are really starving, aim for a mini meal of protein/fat and vegies. You didn't mention adding any fat to meal 2 so perhaps it was light on, hence the afternoon hunger?

Having fruit before your main meal may be pushing vegies off your plate, so include it as part of the meal or save it for straight after if you need it.

I've got hungry at night a couple of times - I just go to bed, and end up appreciating the extra sleep :)

I'm confident I'm getting enough fat.  The ground beef I use is 90%, and I don't drain anything.  Plus, I neglected to mention that I put quite a lot of clarified butter on the carrots.  I do think it's probably the fruit on an empty stomach that's at least part of the issue, even though I'm only eating small amounts (of fruit).  Also probably just adjusting to the new way of eating.  :)

So wow... day 3.  Woke up today feeling absolutely wiped out.  Soooo tiiiired, and sleepy, even though I slept fine.  But I'm not a bit concerned, because I know it's normal and to be expected.  I'm just really glad it's not a work day for me!  LOL  (I'm a massage therapist.)

I did not do my morning Qigong, and feel I probably should have, despite being so tired, because Qigong is energizing.  But I made the mistake of sitting down to my computer, and ended up blowing it off. 

Meal one was brunch with friends.  Had an omelette with tomatoes, mushrooms, and jalapeno peppers.  (Plus the usual coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon.  And nutmeg.)  The only less-than-ideal part was that they weren't pastured eggs and could have included more veggies, but I feel okay.  Oh... had a mug of homemade bone broth (chicken) beforehand, to comply with "eat within an hour of getting up" and because I was hungry.

And now, I need a nap, big time. 

Hi Darlene

Wow! You are doing Awesome at this. I start mine tomorrow and have signed up for the email support - luckily I did it today because of the time difference between USA and NZ so I'm hoping it will arrive in the morning not at the end of my day lol

I'm getting a bit nervous now - I'm usually a quitter - always come up with an excuse not to stick with things. But I really want this so I'm hoping that I will manage it.

Look forward to following behind you - Watch out for my Day 1 entry tomorrow!

Oh and .................... YOU ROCK :D

Jayne

Hi Jane!

I'm usually a quitter too, but something I've realized, since committing to a Whole30, is that the language I too often use - out loud or just in my thoughts - is defeatist.  Words can either reinforce the quitter, or support my belief that I CAN be successful!  So consider watching how you express things.  Don't "hope" you will manage.  KNOW that you CAN do this!  Because you can!  

A huge part of what makes this more exciting than a lot of the things I've "tried" (and failed at - watch that word "try" too!) in the past is that I've already seen a big shift in my food cravings since discovering Paleo several months ago.  I haven't been at all hardcore.  I've simply reduced (not eliminated) my intake of processed food and grains, switched to pastured meat, butter, and eggs, and increased my overall healthy fat consumption.  With just those few changes, my sweet tooth just doesn't have the "teeth" it used to.  ;)  I fully expect it to be completely under control once this Whole30 (or Whole45 or 60, if need be) is done.  Never before have I felt confident that I could change my way of eating for a lifetime, because everything else requires willpower and "gutting through", and I cannot do that.  I have to genuinely not want the unhealthy stuff to keep from eating it.  So it pleases me no end that I've started having an "Ugh, no way!" response to the sight of things I used to be addicted to, like a huge frosted cinnamon roll I saw the other day.  Very encouraging! 

I look forward to seeing your kickoff thread tomorrow! 

So, to close out my day 3...

Meal 2:

A large salad of alfalfa sprouts, a small avocado, and tomatoes, seasoned with garlic, onion, and salt.  For "dressing", lemon juice and coconut aminos.  Also had a large bowl of cauliflower and broccoli, well-buttered, and chicken.  After all that, I thoroughly enjoyed 1 1/2 organic nectarines, just plain. 

Felt plenty full and happy after meal 2, puttered for an hour, then took a nap that ended up being two hours of sleeping hard.  It was lovely.  Woke up HUNGRY.  Arg.  It had only been three hours since meal two, plus it was too early for dinner, at only 5:00.  Couldn't really think of what I could snack on, so I just ignored the hunger until it got to the point where I hardly had the energy to figure out what meal 3 could be.  Came up with a good one, though, around 8:00.

So, meal 3:

Another large sprout salad (broccoli sprouts this time) with tomato and avocado, plus tuna.  Thought it would be boring to have this again, and I also needed more fat.  Then I remember I'd bought some good olive oil.  Not really a big fan of olive oil, but I drizzled some one anyway, follow by lemon juice and coconut aminos, then added some actual olives at the last minute.  THEN I realized I still had some fruit coming to me and ended up cutting two apricots into bits, sprinkling them with nutmeg and cinnamon, and covering them with coconut milk.  Also put quite a few (but not too many) macadamia nuts in it.  Yum! 

Random observations:

BMs have slowed down a lot.  Probably need more water.

Definitely need some variety.  I'm so not a fan of grocery shopping, or cooking, for that matter (though I am a good cook!), but I'm going to have to knuckle down and start looking at some recipes and compiling more-useful shopping lists. 

Still haven't made a list of goals, but decided I really don't need to.  Everything I need the most - energy, healing, and weight loss (eta: forgot taming the sugar monster!) - is going to happen, as long as I stay with it, so those don't really need to be goals.  So really, my only goal is simply to finish!  :)  Okay, well, I also want to establish a healthier, more regular bedtime and a daily Qigong habit.  But I'm not going to be super strict with the former, and I've already blown the latter.  Those will come in time.  For now, be faithful to the Whole30 and finish.  That's what I need to do!

I also realized I really don't care about measurements, so since I haven't bothered to take them here by the end of day 3, I'm just not going to.  I will record my starting weight, though: 268lbs.  I'm a little surprised by how hard it is not to step on the scale each morning, but really, it's just the habit of doing so more than a strong desire to see the numbers change.  I KNOW they'll change, and as long as I don't try to anticipate how much I'll lose, it'll be fun to be surprised at the end!

Day 3, finishing strong!  YAY!  :D

Clarified.  I just got tired of typing 'clarified butter' every time I mention butter.  ;)

Apropos of nothing, I need to clarify some more today.  Definitely don't want to run out!

Day 4, so far:

Slept in quite late and woke up a bit groggy and headachy, but not miserably so.  Dreamt last night that I blew it by eating something wildly non-compliant, but I've already lost the details.  I didn't remember I'd had such a dream until I started to prepare meal one, and was very relieved it was only a dream!  (I've done a lot of fasting - Master Cleanse, mostly - in the past, so I'm used to such dreams.  lol)

Meal one was 4 pastured eggs with organic cherry tomatoes and a big bunch of kale sauteed in clarified butter and coconut oil.  Usual coffee with coconut milk, too.  Feeling good, belly-wise.  Still headachy. 

Update:

The tired sleepies have intensified as the day has worn on.  I'll be having Sunday dinner with friends in about an hour and a half, but was hungry NOW, so I just had a snack of about 2-3 oz. of chicken (all I could pick off the carcass of the pre-cooked chicken I bought a couple days ago), one nectarine, and 1/4 c. of coconut milk.  Feeling better, but it's going to be hard to drag myself out of the house, here in a bit.

Day 4 Success!

Sunday dinner with friends worked well.  Main course was chicken or beef k'bobs made with a sugar-free homemade marinade.  I chose the beef.  On the side, I had two very large helpings of the steamed (and buttered - clarified) broccoli and cauliflower that I brought myself.  When I got home, I ate another nectarine - my second and last fruit for the day.  "Dinner" was at 4:30, but was technically only meal 2.

Meal 3 - about 8:30

Salmon drizzled with coconut oil, seasoned with salt, onion, garlic, and dill, then baked.  Another big helping of broccoli and cauliflower left over from meal 2.  Also a salad made with alfalfa sprouts, tomatos, a small avocado, a few olives, coconut aminos, and a drizzle of olive oil. 

For the first time, I wasn't crazy hungry between meals, between meals 2 and 3 today.  Maybe because I'd had a reasonably substantial snack, for the first time? 

Still pretty tired/sleepy, but it's not as profound as it was earlier in the day.  Need to go grocery shopping, but could not muster the energy today. 

Speaking of shopping (and getting variety!), I went to thefoodee.com today and picked four recipes from the Whole30 list of meals.  I've been to thefoodee.com before, but not since reading ISWF.  What a great site!  I LOVE that they'll generate a grocery list that includes everything you need to make ALL the recipes you choose.  Another really neat thing they do is give you a range of ways to define a "serving".  I figured out that, realistically, my son (24) and I both need about a serving and a half per meal, so I told the calculator to generate my shopping list based on *6* "servings", which will actually give me *4* decent-sized meals - two each, for me and my son.  (My son is not doing the Whole30, but is happy to eat whatever I'm eating.)  So handy to have the site figuring all this out for me!  Now all I have to do is check my larder and cross everything off the list I already have, then pick up the rest from the store.  Once I have all the necessary ingredients on-hand, the prospect of cooking from a recipe is no big deal.  Variety, coming up!  

Still a bit tired, but feeling strong and feeling happy!  Bring on day 5!   

(edited to correct foodee.com to thefoodee.com)

Hi Darlene

Wow You are doing Great!! I just posted my first log post - just finished Day 1 and feeling so-so but missing sugar.

I went to the foodee.com site you said but it was about restaurants not recipes and shopping lists - did I miss something??

Ooops - Sorry, Jayne.  It's thefoodee.com.  Shocked me, for a moment there, because I just saw the same thing you did, about restaurants.  Had to double-check the url.  (Tried a direct link, but it didn't work.)

Start of Day 5!

I'm sleepy this morning, but only because I stayed up too late.  (Gotta work on that!)  It's just a normal sleepy - not accompanied by the draggy tiredness of the last couple days.  I actually feel normal, except that my midsection keeps getting my attention.  I feel smaller!  Haven't had breakfast yet.  Getting on the computer early is another bad habit.  So, meal one, coming up...

Update:

Didn't get meal one done within an hour of getting up, but it was good when I finally got it made.

Two eggs scrambled together with a good bit of leftover salmon from last night.  Also a zucchini (medium) and a yellow squash (large) chunked and sauteed in coconut oil.  Wasn't super hungry this morning, but I ate every bit of all that and feel great!  Oh, had my usual coffee w/coconut milk, too.  Still missing the sugar in it, but it's not a craving. 

Update 2:

Meal 2

Salad made with broccoli sprouts, tomotoes, and tuna with coconut aminos and olive oil.  Out of avocados, sadly.

Also had 1 1/4 small apples and half a dozen baby carrots with almond butter and coconut oil.

This meal was a bit light and mostly raw, partly because I'm low on groceries, and partly because my downstairs A/C isn't working and it's quite warm in the lower half.  (The upstairs A/C works, thankfully.)  Being light on fat, I decided to add coconut oil to the almond butter, and boy is that yummy!  I'll probably continue doing that forever! 

Still feeling quite good, if a bit sleepy.  May take a nap here in a bit.

I did indeed take that nap, about an hour and a half. 

The thing that stands out for me today (day 5) is that I haven't been crazy hungry between meals, and that's a relief!  I may have been unwise with Meal 3, though.

Meal 3

Ground beef and onions with steamed broccoli, carrots, and sugar snap peas on the side.  (Veggies drizzled with coconut oil.  I'm out of clarified butter and am missing it.)  I followed this with half an Israel melon, which was cold and yummy, but might be messing with my blood sugar.  Not sure.  Could also be that the meal was a little light, compared to previous meals.  I also ate earlier than I have been eating, so it'll be interesting to see if I make it to bedtime without needing a snack. 

All in all, I feel quite "normal", meaning about how I usually am before I started this.  I don't want to assume the worst days are behind me, though.  I'm not braced and tense about potentially rough days to come, but I'm as mentally prepared as I can be, I think. 

Feeling strong!  :)

Update:

One quick note to close out the day.  It has been hours since meal 3, and I'm not hungry, as I worried I might be.  I did, however, have a small handful of macadamia nuts as a snack treat because I'm feeling celebratory.  Partly because I feel good, and partly because it's my birthday tomorrow.  :)

Now, off to a shower, some fun reading, and sleep! 

:)HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARLENE :)

I hope you have researched and planned a gorgeous W30 celebratory meal for yourself to celebrate your birthday!

You are doing really well with this and still continue to be an inspiration. Hope your birthday is spent with lots of laughs and wishing you strength to get through it compliant hahahaha I think you will though - you sound like you have a really good handle on this now.

Best wishes

Jayne

Thank you for the kind wishes and continued support, Jayne!  :)

I didn't really have anything big planned for the day.  I don't generally make a big fuss over my birthday, but will treat myself to something, at some point.  Probably a massage and/or new book or two for my Kindle. 

Still doing well, here on Day 6!  Didn't get to bed as soon as I should have, so I'm my usual sleepy.  (No Whole30 sleepiness on top of the usual.)  My Whole30 Daily email talks about the sleep thing, and that's something I really need to work on.  Too much the night owl.  

On to food. 

Meal 1

4 boiled eggs dressed with homemade mustard (first time making, and boy is it hot/spicy!), leftover broccoli and sugar snap peas from last night, drizzled with coconut oil (so missing my butter!), and coffee w/coconut milk.

I FINALLY did some grocery shopping, late morning, but just had leftovers for meal 2.

Meal 2

Leftover ground beef and onion from last night, as well as the last of the broccoli and sugar snap peas.  Since I'd been to the store, I got to drizzle everything with clarified butter this time.  Also had a can of coconut water (before the meal, actually), a big bowl of organic strawberries, and a small handful of organic dry-roasted cashews.  

Not sure what dinner will be, but I've got lots of options now.  More later. 

End of Day 6

Ugh.  NOW I'm in "kill all the things" mode, but to be fair, it's not the Whole30.  I'm trying to switch my internet service over to a new carrier, and it's working for all computers, phones, tablets, etc. in the house except for my computer.  I've got until the end of the month (when I lose the old service) to figure out what's going on, and I haven't a clue.  Super cranky.  

But otherwise, I'm still doing really well, for the most part.  

Meal 3

Sprout salad with tomatoes, tuna, and homemade mayonaisse and mustard for dressing, and half an Israel melon.

Meal 3 was late (I only just finished.  Actually, I'm still eating the melon.   ^_^ ) due to having to get on top of a messy kitchen, then dealing with all the internet frustrations.  I wasn't very hungry at all, and had to decide which less-than-ideal scenario to choose: Skip a meal, or eat close to bedtime.  Obviously,  chose the latter.  Fortunately, eating late usually doesn't bother me, that I can tell.  *knock on wood* 

So that's day 6 successfully down, and overall, I'm still feeling really good about the whole thing.  (So to speak.  lol)  I continue to miss having sugar in my coffee, but I haven't had anything resembling a craving, and no serious tempations to eat anything I shouldn't.  The daily emails are a big help, so now I'm off to click the little "I Did It!" reward at the end of the day 6 email, then go to bed. 

'Night, all!

(edit: Forgot to include the small handful of dry-roasted cashews I had with meal 3.  That made two servings of nuts for that day, so cutting back on those for a day or two.)

Yay, day 7!

Quick meal log, because it's a bit late.

Meal 1

3 1/2 (half of 7 I made for my son and myself) scrambled eggs; mustard greens sauteed in ghee; coffee with coconut milk.

Lately, even before starting this Whole30, I've been more aware of really enjoying simple food.  This was a great breakfast!  The mustard greens were seasoned with salt, onion, and garlic powder, and the eggs almost certainly picked up some of that from the skillet, but that was it.  In my coffee, I left out the usual cinnamon and/or nutmeg, and actually enjoyed it more with just the coconut milk alone.  I can't say I'm not still missing sugar in my coffee, but I bet when this is over, I won't need nearly as much! 

Meal 2

First time out to eat.  Birthday lunch, courtesy of my boss.  :)

I had a plain hamburger patty, steamed veggies (not sure what they all were, as they were cut in long, thin strips) to which I added ghee I brought myself, and half a plain avocado.  It was amazingly tasty!  Again, simple, yet really delicious!

Meal 3

I made Thai Spiced Turkey Burgers, recipe courtesy of thefoodee.com.  Very tasty!  Also had a handful of raw baby carrots, about a cup of steamed broccoli, and a bunch of strawberries in coconut milk. 

Random Observations

Energy level is fine (pre-Whole30 "normal") and I continue to feel strongly that I'm doing very well with this.  Still mentally prepared for possible rough patch later, though.  (edit: Forgot to record that not long after lunch, I got uncomfortably hungry.  Lunch may have been a bit light.  After the nap I had later, I had a snack of crockpot chicken and cherry tomatoes.  Forgot to record that, too!)

Potential TMI alert:  BMs have slowed down a lot since I started.  I wonder if I may not be drinking quite enough water, but figure it's just my intestines making adjustments.  Today, on the way home from lunch, my bowels decided it was time for a cleanout.  Thankfully, the drive home was short!  LOL

After the intestinal event, I had a nap attack and ended up sleeping hard for about two hours.  

That's about all I have to report for today!  Time to click my daily "I did it!" reward, then head off to bed.      

Wow - you're doing great guns at this Darlene - Way to go!!

I've had the opposite effect in the bowel department!! Still had some pretty powerful cravings today - not quite sure what it was for but I think I too, am still missing the sugar in my tea/coffee. I really do hope that disappears. Work tonight and thankfully no tasty morsels around to tempt me. Busy shift so not much time to wallow in the "I can't have" blues.

Sounds like your birthday was good and good on you for staying on track. Part of the reason that I started my W30 on the 5th was that when I finish my last day will be the day before my birthday - and Yes I intend to have a wine or two on that day. lol

Best wishes - Jayne

Thank you, Jane!

Be careful about that planned wine on your birthday.  I suspect that after thirty days of eating clean, your tolerance will have diminished more than you might expect.  Consider really thoroughly savoring/enjoying *1/2* a glass to start, and see how you feel, before having any more.  :lol:

And this wraps up Day 8 for me.  Yay! 

First, meals:

Meal 1

Mustard greens (we're liking these a lot!), grated zucchini, and grated broccoli stem sauteed in ghee; scrambled eggs with cherry tomatoes and basil.  (Tasty, but I think I'd have like them better plain, with the tomatoes and basil on the side.)  Coffee w/coconut milk.

Meal 2

A leftover Thai Spiced Turkey Burger from last night (these "burgers" are 1/3 lb. of ground turkey plus a ton of grated zucchini, chives, a bit of diced hot peppers, spices, and egg as a binder.  The recipe at thefoodee.com calls for serving with "paleo bread" and sliced avocado.  Obviously, I didn't have (and wouldn't have used) any paleo bread, but I did definitely have a small avocado with the burger today.  Also had a small handful of raw baby carrots, and two small nectarines.

Meal 3

Yet another Thai Spiced Turkey Burger (sans avocado, this time); a bunch of steamed broccoli with ghee, a couple tablespoons of almond butter with a tablespoon or so of coconut oil eaten with a few stalks of raw celery.

I was going to avoid nuts today, but I was out working and running errands right after meal two, and when I got home I was really hungry.  So after the burger and broccoli, I needed something to fill in the corners.

Meal 3 was also quite a bit earlier than I usually eat "dinner", and here it is just after 10:00 p.m., and I'm hungry again.  I'm also really sleepy, though, so I think I'll just go to bed and not have a mini meal or snack. 

Until tomorrow!  :D

update: Decided to have a snack, after all.  Had some crockpot chicken (cooked with nothing but salt and lemon) and half an Israel melon. 

Note added to last night's post, above.  (I ended up having a snack, and wanted to record it.)

So, on to today.  I woke up feeling really tired, then got a headache about mid-morning that lasted several hours.  I was also pretty hungry, like yesterday, so meals 1 and 2 ended up being fairly close together.  Tried to nap in the early afternoon, and expected to be out for a good two hours, based on how sleepy I was, but couldn't really get all the way down.  Fortunately, my energy picked up later in the day, and I've felt pretty good, since then. 

Meal 1

Scrambled eggs (4), some broccoli (w/ghee) left over from last night.  Coffee w/coconut milk.  Plenty of protein and fat, but could have used a few more veggies.

Meal 2

Large sprout (alfalfa and broccoli) salad with tomatoes and an avocado, topped with a can of tuna dressed with homemade mayo and mustard.  Two nectarines.  

Meal 3

Lots of crockpot chicken, two steamed zucchinis topped with lots of ghee, small bowl of strawberries and coconut milk. 

Snack

A couple ounces of chicken, two T. of almond butter with coconut oil on 4 stalks of celery.

Hi Darlene

I see you are rocking this as usual!! Can you give me the recipe for the crockpot chicken please? It sounds good.

I found a nice recipe for roast chicken AND gravy (W30 approved) on Nom Nom Paleo you might be interested in:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy%C2'>

Jayne

Archived