Frustrated and discouraged - bad reaction to Natural Calm? (TMI warning)

Some of this might be TMI, you have been warned.

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30. I am coming from a diet that was probably 60% paleo, 40% SAD. I would eat healthy meals but ate lots of hummus, meats cured with sugar, lots of yogurt, occasional rice or rice noodles, and would consume alcohol once or twice per week. I experienced little or no side effects from switching to the Whole30 - no carb flu or die-off. 

My pre-whole30 digestive problems include bloating (ie, my stomach literally looks pregnant), moderate to severe gas (mostly in the morning and immediately after meals), and mild to moderate constipation (I often go 1-2 days without passing, when I do go I have to strain significantly and most if not all of my stool is somewhat greasy and floats).

As far as I can tell, these problems are often worst when I eat things high in yeast (bread products, beer, which I have all but cut out in the past year) and high in fat (especially oils). That said, my attempts to pin down what is causing my issues have been unsuccessful - hence the Whole30. 

The following symptoms seem to come and go: dry, itchy scalp; frequent acne on my face; breakouts on my chest (especially following alcohol consumption); brain fog; fatigue; irritability. 

On day 6 I started digestive enzymes and got back on my probiotics. Gas has significantly reduced. No change in stool and stomach still bloated. Brain fog, fatigue, and irritability gone. Acne is reduced. 

On day 8 I started taking Natural Calm to try and move things along. I have been taking since then (3 days) with no success.

Day 11, after taking Natural Calm, I had nightmares all night, woke up frequently, and my stomach was gurgling and in pain. but still unable to go to the bathroom. I've read that this stuff will help you sleep and calm you down, but last night it had the exact opposite effect. I can feel that my clothes are looser everywhere but my belly, which still looks enormous. Got a huge zit on my face. 

I plan to continue my Whole30 of course. However, I am getting kind of worried about what is wrong with me. Do I just need to be more patient with this process, or should I see a doctor? Is it possible something more sinister is happening in my digestive tract that can be fixed with dietary and lifestyle changes? 

Beginning to get a little panicked and stressed about this. Any guidance would be appreciated. 

Based on your problems pre W30, it sounds like you have some gut issues. Since the bloating and gas lessened when you stopped the bread and beer, you could be gluten intolerant. The greasy and floating stools are also a sign that something is wrong. You aren't digesting your fats correctly.

W30 can help you, but it's not going to happen overnight. I take magnesium as well, but still became constipated on W30. The volume of veggies was a lot more than I was used to and it took awhile for things to get going. Believe me, I know how uncomfortable it is.

You could also be experiencing some 'die off' of bad bugs in your system since you are starving them of sugar, which they love. And sometimes the body rids itself of these toxins through the skin (zits!).

If you can be patient, I would be. Try adding some fermented foods and keep with the pre and probiotics. They do help! Hang in there.

Thanks Bet. I will hold off on the doctor for now and see how I am doing at the end of the 30 days. I will be patient; I could be feeling a lot worse, and at least I am seeing some results. 

I also think I need to increase my vegetable intake relative to protein and fat. I'm trying, but I think coming up short in following the template. Perhaps that is contributing to the problem. 

I have increased my vegetable intake, tried to limit sugar in fruit, increased probiotics and enzymes, and continued the magnesium. I have been able to poop more regularly but its been very - erm - loose to say the least. Seriously NOT enjoyable. 

My stomach is just as bloated as ever. My gut is constantly protruding. I look pregnant all the time. I cannot figure out why. Its so so so discouraging. My skin is also totally broken out. 

I am not interested in adding any foods back in but maybe I need to eliminate more foods. I am ready to just give up eating altogether. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!? I have never felt more discouraged. 

You can ease off the magnesium too if it's working 'too well'.  The nice thing about Natural Calm is that you can easily vary the dosage till it's just right.

I wouldn't make any more changes (dropping more foods) until you get through the 30 days.  It's a big 'system' and the Natural Calm is neither a savior nor a culprit all on it's own.

I'm sorry you still feel bloated - do you drink fizzy water?  Carbonation can make you bloated and uncomfortable if you're sensitve.  I'd also suggest your vegies and fruits not be raw.  Another choice is fermented foods (sauerkraut) but I personally have never been able to do that!  A few yoga poses (twisting things) have helped me when I've woken up in the middle of the night with severe gas pain (generally a fun special guest star during my TOM).

hang in there!  I think your detox symptoms are important clues that your gut is doing a major renovation and there is a minor war happening down there.  The good guys will win!!

I too am trying to get rid of my 3 months pregnant tummy so I feel your pain... Good luck!

I'm obviously not a doctor but I've had a detox and die-off previously - this doesn't feel like that. When I have switched my diet to a paleo type diet in the past, I was tired and lethargic and got the carb flu at first, and then I lost weight rapidly. This feels different. That said, I feel like it changes a lot. When I wrote this, I was bloated. I am not bloated today - but my stomach is still just as enormous. I took pics on Day 1 and today and there is zero change! 

As for what I am eating, my log is here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12021-my-first-whole30/

The first week was a lot of carrots, cucumber, guacamole. As time goes on, I have been trying to have more salad greens, spinach, etc, broccoli, green things. A lot of tomatoes in sauce. Zucchini, eggplant, avocado.

Fruit initially included cantaloupe, strawberries and blueberries. Shifted to cantaloupe, grapes, and bananas. 

Meats - a mix of pork, beef, and chicken. I keep promising myself to be more adventurous soon. 

Fats - Olive oil, coconut oil. I use a lot when cooking. Historically I have had issues digesting a lot of fat. The enzymes have REALLY helped. 

Nuts/seeds - I have thrown these in salads and such, but have tried for the most part to avoid them. 

Beverages - I've had iced black tea twice - a lot of Tazo Passion tea - but mostly water. I drink about 8-10 glasses per day. Today I have been guzzling it because I got a UTI. 

Supplements:

-NOW Super Enzymes (2 with each meal) 

-Daily probiotic (I was taking them morning and night - I am switching now to 1 in the morning)

-Currently taking D-Mannose for the UTI (started today)

-Considering starting a fish oil supplement since most of my meat and eggs are not grass fed

There are certain fruits and veggies called FODMAPS. Basically they have short chain carbohydrates that some people have difficulty digesting. From your list I see a few:

avacodo

broccoli

grapes

also you could have a nightshade sensitivity, so that would be tomatoes and eggplant (and any peppers, red or green)

I have issues with all of these and even a salad with raw greens can send me running to the bathroom. It sounds limiting to exclude all these foods, but it might not be forever. Here is the W9 shopping list with the FODMAP foods greyed out. I may be worth trying for a bit until you feel better.

http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Shopping-List-FODMAP.pdf

• 5 months later...

Some of this might be TMI, you have been warned.

I'm on day 12 of my first Whole30. I am coming from a diet that was probably 60% paleo, 40% SAD. I would eat healthy meals but ate lots of hummus, meats cured with sugar, lots of yogurt, occasional rice or rice noodles, and would consume alcohol once or twice per week. I experienced little or no side effects from switching to the Whole30 - no carb flu or die-off. 

My pre-whole30 digestive problems include bloating (ie, my stomach literally looks pregnant), moderate to severe gas (mostly in the morning and immediately after meals), and mild to moderate constipation (I often go 1-2 days without passing, when I do go I have to strain significantly and most if not all of my stool is somewhat greasy and floats).

As far as I can tell, these problems are often worst when I eat things high in yeast (bread products, beer, which I have all but cut out in the past year) and high in fat (especially oils). That said, my attempts to pin down what is causing my issues have been unsuccessful - hence the Whole30. 

The following symptoms seem to come and go: dry, itchy scalp; frequent acne on my face; breakouts on my chest (especially following alcohol consumption); brain fog; fatigue; irritability. 

On day 6 I started digestive enzymes and got back on my probiotics. Gas has significantly reduced. No change in stool and stomach still bloated. Brain fog, fatigue, and irritability gone. Acne is reduced. 

On day 8 I started taking Natural Calm to try and move things along. I have been taking since then (3 days) with no success.

Day 11, after taking Natural Calm, I had nightmares all night, woke up frequently, and my stomach was gurgling and in pain. but still unable to go to the bathroom. I've read that this stuff will help you sleep and calm you down, but last night it had the exact opposite effect. I can feel that my clothes are looser everywhere but my belly, which still looks enormous. Got a huge zit on my face. 

I plan to continue my Whole30 of course. However, I am getting kind of worried about what is wrong with me. Do I just need to be more patient with this process, or should I see a doctor? Is it possible something more sinister is happening in my digestive tract that can be fixed with dietary and lifestyle changes? 

Beginning to get a little panicked and stressed about this. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Natural Calm did nothing for me -- well maybe worse than nothing. I have a very sensitive gag reflex and I could hardly get the stuff down, and I was only taking 1/2 tsp per night! Also, I wasn't sleeping as well. I have read on reviews of Natural Calm that this isn't all that uncommon. It also wasn't helping with my constipation, so I'm through with it. Maybe it's just not for you either?

Archived