Whole30 or 100 Take 2!

JamieM

Woohoo!! Happy day 11 Jamie!!

The hash/squash sounds wonderful. Did you cook the hash in the squash?

I totally agree about restaurant food.  There is not much that appeals to me after cooking so much.

Tomorrow, I go to the mountains to visit with some wonderful girlfriends.  I have shared my eating constraints with them and they know I am bringing food.  Sunday morning I am making a dairy-less/potato-less frittata for them. Fingers crossed they like it.  I think it will be fine but I am a little nervous.

Happy Eating!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone!  :)

Really strange day today, energy-wise. I didn't sleep badly, though not as well as i have been (one of the side effects of an evening bootcamp session), so i felt kind of tired when i woke up. After an hour or so i suddenly decided to go for a walk, that felt better. But then i felt zapped again after lunch, had a wee snooze, then woke up feeling a cross between Tiger Blood & Kill All The Things  :blink: so went out & mowed the lawn  :D I've definitely got the fidgets, that's for sure! I'm very tempted to thrown in a quick bout of exercise, except i'd planned today as a rest day. Fidget, fidget!

Breakfast today was pig's liver, onions, spinach & spicy squash. Lunch was leftover carnitas, bacon, pineapple, cashew pieces & courgette noodles. Dinner is going to be "Insanely Awesome" meatloaf (from the Beyond Bacon cookbook - hope it lives up to the title!), with some sauteed apples & pecans, plus some spring greens.

Starting to plan a weekend visit to my folks at the end of this month - i'm thinking i'll offer to cook a meal for them, which should make compliance easier. My mum does the Dukan diet, so she can sort of get her head around low-carb/high protein, but at the same time her words after my first Whole30 were - "So, this gluten thing you thought you had - all better now, isn't it?"  :blink:

Hi everyone  :)

I think "Beyond Bacon" is my new favourite cookbook - the Insanely Awesome Meatloaf was insanely awesome (my offal-fearing OH didn't even notice it had half a pound of pig liver in it  :ph34r: ) & today i made the apple & ginger pork tenderloin for lunch & it was delicious! Had the fat-fearing/salt-fearing in-laws round for lunch & they were impressed, yay! Served it with nomnompaleo's pressure cooker braised kale & carrots, some mashed swede, green beans & then did a few new potatoes & Yorkshire puddings for them (Yorkshire puddings, for all of you on the other side of the Pond, are kind of like a pancake made in a muffin tin. We eat them with roast meat. Kinda miss them, but they seriously wouldn't work with almond flour. Yeuch).

Took the kids for a swim this morning - well, actually this involves me standing in a squat position while they hang on to me for dear life  :D as neither of them can swim yet. The kiddie pool was closed, so we were hunkered in the shallow end of the main pool & it was freezing. Gave up after half an hour as my daughter's lips were going blue  :blink:

The fermenting factory has another inmate - my mother-in-law has been growing some weird giant gherkin/cucumber things, & i don't really do salad if i can help it, so i'm making them into a pickle - salt, dill, stuff into a jar & leave at room temp for a few days, hope for the best. There's two jars of sauerkraut on the go in the boiler cupboard (tasty already, but i'm giving them another few weeks - torture, as i've run out!) & i've some gingered carrots in the fridge. Mmmm, friendly bacteria...

Hope everybody had a good weekend! Here's to next week  :)

Hi all,

Just now back from a visit with friends. Took a lot of food so I stayed compliant.

This week I am doing the IBS protocol but I will have decaf on occasion. My focus is the template. And I'm going to try new recipes. Roz- may have took for that cookbook.

Happy eating!!!

Ugh, so ready to give up today :ph34r: I didn't sleep very well & had my first ever food dream: I'd unwrapped a small chocolate for my son & unthinkingly ate the crumbs out of the wrapper. I was thinking i should just carry on, no restart needed, it wasn't much etc, but then found myself faced with a table laden with cupcakes & the devil on my shoulder was saying "Well technically you already blew it today, so you may as well have one or six" :blink:

So, poor sleep, confused brain :wacko: After lunch i got hit with cravings & i must confess i did something rather against the spirit of Whole30 - i mashed a sweet potato with some macadamia nut butter & cacao powder :( It was nice for about 6 spoonsful, then a bit meh. Then i had a little nap. Woke up feeling exactly like I'd actually HAD cake - grotty, dry mouth, & battling more cravings. Gah. Still, i hitched my big girl pants up a bit, took the kids to the supermarket & didn't buy chocolate, then came home & made myself a cup of tea. Crisis averted & lesson about SWYPO most definitely revisited!!

Roz- great great great job!!! Sorry you had a reaction to the sweet potato mash up - but that's exciting that you survived your cravings and the trip to the store. Hang in there!!!!

I have had a few meh days. Today I feel better. I got up and cooked a bunch - which helped. I need to go to store tomorrow so I can cook some meat. I'm thinking a pork roast in the crock pot. Or ribs. Something yummy that we can eat for a few days.

Here's to taking care of ourselves!!

Hello All,

Day 16 here and still trucking along. Almcc good for you for being compliant while you were away! It is much harder to stick with this when you have "outings" with real people not doing a Whole30. Roz, I completely feel you. When you don't feel well this type of program is much harder to stick to because although it isn't, it feels like you are punishing yourself for no good reason. At least that is the way I feel when I want to eat something yummy that is noncompliant and I have had a bad day. I have to get myself out of that whole reward/comfort yourself with food mindset. On a brighter note, I did make it to the Y for a swim the other night and it was refreshing and I so love being in the water. Now if I could get myself on a more frequent schedule, I would feel better about myself. Nothing too exciting about my food over the past couple of days. I did make another batch of mayo and here is a tip: RESIST the urge to put the blender back in the mayo for "just a couple more seconds" after you have already stopped it. I did it, the mayo broke and had to be thrown away. Throwing away all of that oil just kills me!!!! By the way, has anyone been able to find reasonably priced avocado or macadamia nut oil? I found some macadamia nut oil but my mayo recipe calls for 1.25 cups and these specialty stores were pricing their 8 ounce jars of macadamia nut at 18 dollars a bottle and since I need 10 cups of oil, I would have had to buy two and when you starting thinking of spending 36 dollars on oil that won't even make 2 batches of mayo.....you start questioning how much you need the mayo....I have definitely decided not to buy expensive oil until I am SURE my batch will come out ok and won't have to be tossed....imagine if that batch had been made with that $36 dollar oil and had to be thrown down the drain....I would have cried real tears! I am going to wait until I can consistently make a batch without messing it up. I hope all is well with everyone! Have a great, healthy week!

Cheers,

JamieM

HI All,

It's 17!! woohoo!!  I have been struggling with snacking.  Usually only once and midday.  So today I start these changes: 1 piece of fruit a day and a bigger lunch.  I feel pretty god.  Have another difficult moment next week.  We are taking my daughter to college (1st time) and they will serve us breakfast and lunch.  Lunch is the hard part.  Normally I would bring a Lara bar and pick at what they have. I think I can do that - but I am worried my emotions will get the best of me.  The other hard thing is the coke toast.  It sounds dreadful but it is a tradition to welcome the freshman class with a coke toast (the school and the coca cola company have had a relationship for 100 years). I don't need to drink the coke, but I want to toast with it.  Ack!! I'll figure it out.

Roz - I hope you have been feeling better. I usually tell people (friends who have not done it) this is not a hard way to eat.  But sometimes it  is really really hard. I hope you have successfully navigated the hard days and are now sailing through.

Jamie - Happy day 17!!  How is you DH doing?  I feel your pain - fancy oil is too expensive.  Have you tried to make regular mayo - adjusting the recipe for less oil?  I have seen some different recipes. Maybe if you can get down to 1 cup it will be easier to buy the fancy one.

Well today the wildlife pest service comes to figure out what animal is living in the house.  Last night the chewing was so loud I couldn't go back to sleep. oh well.  It is something to distract me from the fact that my  dd is leaving soon.

Happy eating!!

Hi everyone :)

Thank you, i am feeling better, though still battling cravings, despite or maybe because of not having had much of a break between this whole30 & the last one. Oh well. I've just started reading "Primal Body Primal Mind" & the bit about the dangers of gluten is seriously eye opening :wacko: Makes you think twice about having "just one" cookie!

Jamie - the mayo recipe in Well Fed only uses one cup of oil. How about using a half cup of light olive oil & a half cup of something fancier? Or make baconnaise! :lol: I like the sound of that, but never seem to have enough bacon fat around!

Almcc - hope all goes well with the college drop off. I guess for the coke toast you could either pretend to take a sip, or take a real sip & spit it out like at a wine-tasting :lol:

I agree, this way of eating isn't hard, but it is... :blink: Giving up smoking was easier in so many ways!

Hi All,

Glad you are feeling better Roz and thanks for the tips on the oil. I followed the recipe that came with my immersion blender and it does work well but perhaps the Well Fed one would work just as well. Mixing oils sounds like a good idea too. I definitely would never have enough bacon oil around either. I rarely eat bacon. I like it, but just don't reach for it first. I need to be reminded of the dangers of gluten. Gluten is so prevalent in the foods around us that it takes real discipline to avoid it.

Happy day 17 to you as well Almcc! The coke toast will require some planning but at least it should be quick! What an exciting new chapter for your DD! Those college years are so much fun! Tell her to relish this time! I believe college is one of the best times of your life. Not too much real world responsibilty (mortgage, job, kids....) and your only job is to learn and be a good student. I swear if I could manage it, I would be a lifetime student! I have a lifetime goal of earning a Ph.D someday... I hope they are able to find the animal in your house! Yikes!

I think this way of eating is hard because it requires so much discipline and cooking. I feel better on this program than I have on other programs, but it does require a lot of planning and a lot of cooking! The good news is the food doesn't taste like diet food which is why I thinking it is easier to stay on than other programs.

So DH is cheating, cheating, cheating!! LOL! I found 2 liters of ORANGE SODA under the bed!!! HA HA HA! I told him we might need to rethink his program to include some food/drinks so that he doesn't feel like he has to hide it. He apparently isn't quite ready for a Whole30. I am going to stay on as planned though. I was really hoping he would give this one good run because of his arthritis but I have come to the conclusion that he doesn't believe in the diet/autoimmune link like I do and so he doesn't see the importance. Since I can't change his views on that....I am going to lead by example and perhaps he will come around in the future.

Onward and upward!

Cheers,

JamieM

Funny, i enjoy the cooking & planning part. I just miss having a biscuit (cookie) with my cup of tea, or a bit of chocolate after a meal. Honestly though, i miss the far-fetched ideal of a small serving of chocolate after a meal, not the actual reality of spending the whole afternoon stuffing my face with it :ph34r:

Lol at the secret stash of orange pop under the bed!!

Hi all

Orange soda!! Lol. Soda is the only thing I think about daily. I'm often surprised that I don't drink soda anymore. And I didn't drink it much. Makes me wonder about soda addiction.

Yesterday went well. I didn't have a snack. :)

Today I did a breakfast cook up. Nothing new. Just ground meat, sweet pot, and kale- enough for 4-5 days.

I'm amazed at how willing I am to cook now. And it's not a big deal. Sometimes I do whine about it - but otherwise it's not bad. And I'm amazed at what I'll eat now. Lunch today was kippers, olives, and carrots. It was good.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Happy eating!

This made me chuckle...

post-11819-0-53765000-1376759978_thumb.j  

Been at the dried mixed berries a bit too much today, but otherwise the food's been good for a couple of days. I'm at that worrying fridge/freezer-overload point - my shopping was delivered on Friday & i physically couldn't get everything in the fridge  :o so i set to work cooking some of the meals i'd planned & now i can just about close the fridge door without leaning on it, but the freezer is fit to bust  :lol: Time to throw out that bag of frozen peas i've been hanging on to (i have no idea why? I'd off-road for fresh peas in the pod, but frozen ones?! Maybe i was keeping it for first aid purposes, but now it has to go!!). My most-often heard curse these days is "bloody junk food!" because that's what usually falls out of the fridge or cupboards when i open the door in search of meat & veggies. Ah, the joys of living in a divided house  :rolleyes:

Had an excellent session at bootcamp last night, the second really good one in a row. Mostly legs work yesterday, i am the squat queen! Yay! Not only am i actually squat, but i can do squats as well. Win/win  ;) Next week the gym's getting a squat rack, i'm actually looking forward to it...

Have a great weekend everyone!

Roz - I love the image I have of your fridge/freezer. I am having similar problems. Last night we bought a lot of chicken and could barely get it in. And the freezer has no room because I'm keeping things my dd might eat or I may eat later. Lol. As soon as my dd leaves I am going to purge. I'm tented to buy a stand alone freezer. And stick part if a cow in it!!!

Squat queen!! Yay for you!!! This week I did the sled and the next workout my trainer had me do slo mo. I am doing much better at both. Yippee!!! But the workouts still tire me. :(

Happy eating!!

Ugh, not a very good food day today  :angry:  My sugar dragon was going doolally & i (ridiculously) thought i'd try & appease it by making some of the apple streusel muffins from Practical Paleo (as muffins go, they could be worse - eggs, apples, cinnamon, a little coconut flour & baking soda). Obviously as these had no sweeteners in, they just made Mr S Dragon a bit crosser & i ended up in the dried berry mix again. Several times. While, ironically, reading a book about recovery from binge eating. Hey-ho. My actual meals have been fine - breakfast was minced turkey, sweet potato & bacon, lunch was some spaghetti squash, mushrooms, cashews, chicken & sunshine sauce. Dinner (soon!) will be Moroccan style lamb stew & cauliflower rice. Just need to get past this snacking thing... I'm still trying to decide whether the best course of action is a super-strict Whole100 or if 30 days on/30 days "ordinary Paleo" would be a better bet. I worry that if i admit to myself that i'm "just" Paleo, then that opens the door to a whole world of baked goods  :rolleyes: (not that i've done a very good job of staying away today, mind you  :ph34r: ). So i guess i'll keep on keeping on & see where i end up...!

Hello All,

This weekend starting with Friday has been difficult mentally. Definitely thought about quitting at least 3 times a day and really, really wanted some bread/pasta/sugar topped with some sort of creamy dairy concoction! On Day 21 and might as well be on day 3....as much as I am craving. I need to be following the meal template a little better. More fat and more veggies. I had some great spaghetti squash with a ground beef spaghetti sauce topped with fresh basil. It was yummy but I really wanted some garlic bread and mozzarella cheese to go along with it. I have been compliant but am seriously considering whether I want to do an other 70 days after this 30. I am weak today....WEAK! Hopefully it will pass soon. It doesn't help that husband has completely fallen off the wagon....we have moved from soda to wheat to sugar....he was traveling most of my last Whole 100 and I have to say it was much, much easier not to have to watch someone eating missed foods in front of me. So today is a grumpy day....it is raining.....it is Monday.....I am craving....Blech!

Not so cheery,

JamieM

I'm glad it's not just me! I heading to the supermarket for supplies & was seriously going to secretly buy a couple of big bars of chocolate but then my OH suddenly decided to tag along (he's not on whole30, but i wouldn't want him to see me stuffing my face!). Sigh. Probably a sign i should be grateful for etc. etc :wacko: It didn't feel like it at the time...

If anyone wants me, I'm headed to the kitchen to make a snack that involves no sugar... Got my eye on a can of mussels or something *pouts*

LOL Roz! Don't you hate it when the spouses interfere with our cheating plans!! My DH actually had the audacity to say, when I mentioned that my Whole100 would be taking me to a few weeks before Thanksgiving, "you should just keep going until Thanksgiving!" Says he who isn't doing the Whole30 plan and didn't even make it 2 weeks! I just looked at him and rolled my eyes! I hope the mussels snack helped....I am sure it didn't! LOL! We can be in sugar withdrawal misery together today...

JamieM

Hi All,

I am feeling a similar way.  Just want a little more freedom - especially when out. the problem is - I am not sure I am ready for that freedom. Tomorrow my daughter and I go to our favorite breakfast restaurant - our last trip before she goes off to college.  I am so wanting to not micromanage my meal - to just eat their bacon!!!! Ack.  I'm frustrated!!!  30 days is 8/28 and I am thinking I need to re-evaluate whether to continue. 

Whenever I do end I think I would like to to try eating Whole 30 at home and then when out be able to eat bacon and other things -if I choose.  My response to sweets on vacation last month really scares me. I don't think I'll be trying sweets again for a while.  But then the holidays are around the corner.  I think what I am realizing is I have to stay mindful of what I eat.

Hoping you both are having good days!!

Good word, micromanage! I like that! It explains exactly what i've been finding frustrating this time. It's not like there's a whole heap of sugar in bacon. Why can't i add a splash of wine to a stew.

Anywho, today it all went a bit tits up, snack-wise - well, i say "snack", "feeding frenzy" more like. Starting over, & kind of wishing tonight's dinner was anything but chocolate chili :ph34r:

I'm going to carry on hanging out here if that's ok with you guys, i think i need to keep aiming for a 100 to keep me on the rails!

Hello All,

Yes I agree micromanage is a great word to describe how it feels. Perhaps we are realizing why they don't recommend going longer than 30 days. I feel like this is much harder the second time around. Perhaps we started again too soon? For me, I think it is partly because there are things I want to do this time and no matter how much they say it isn't hard to eat out on this program, I disagree. By the time you get it down to compliant in most restaurants, it no longer tastes any good because they don't have the compliant oils and sauces to cook in and so you are left feeling unsatisfied and cheated somehow. At least that is how it feels to me. I am flirting with compliant days rather than a Whole30. So I am thinking 6 days out of the week, I eat compliant and 1 day, I don't. That day could float so that it doesn't constrict me to eating compliant on a day when I have a planned dinner out. Maybe I could even make it 3 meals a week I don't eat compliant and that would add that much more flexibility. There is a winery I am dying to go to and do a wine tasting and I hate that I have to wait until November to do it. I would like a little freedom to plan outings without worrying about what I am going to eat and drink.

By the way Roz, I LOVE your expressions! The "tits up" analogy had me laughing out loud! Of course you are welcome here! I don't expect perfection and I don't think Almcc does either. It is nice just to have a group of girls to vent/share/cry/celebrate with throughout the trials and tribulations of getting to a healthier lifestyle. I also agree with you Almcc that the old holidays are a true test of the sugar addiction. For me, even contemplating the holidays with no sugar seems like a severe form of punishment! Ate compliant today so one more notch on the proverbial belt buckle!

Cheers,

Jamie M

Yes - please stay. It helps to talk about all of this. Especially with people who have been at it for a while. Plus you would be missed!!!! :( 

Ok. So what is the plan? Can you throw something together and freeze the chili?

We have chicken in the fridge. But I want to go to my fave place. I can get compliant pork and guac there. We are trying to pamper ourselves this week. So we've been out a lot. The dd is going to be missed more than I can imagine right now.

Here's to caring for ourselves.

Archived