Feeling worse week 2 than week 1

I know I'm only on day 12, but 1. I'm feeling worse week 2 than I did week 1, and 2. I'm feeling worse week 2 than I did pre-Whole 30. I don't know why.

I feel certain that I'm "doing it right." I've read "It Starts with Food" from cover to cover and have followed all of the guidelines, lists, templates, etc. Maybe this is just normal for some people. Regardless, I'm going to stick it out through the 30 days. But this is really discouraging. :( Anyone else have a similar response, only to start improving week 3 or week 4??

In the meantime,
- are you eating dense carb vegetables every day? Sweet potatoes, onions, squash, parsnips, beets, carrots, and jicama are some possible sources.
- are you staying sufficiently hydrated?  Aim to drink water in the amount of 1/2 your weight in ounces, daily.

I bet you'll find you aren't eating enough. Of everything! I have found that not eating enough when I am eating whole30, I feel crummy. Once I get my eating back to normal, healthy amounts of protein, carb rich veggies and fats, I feel much better. It really makes you aware of how food is fuel and not enough gas in the tank makes for a sluggish, crappy feeling!

I hope it's as simple a fix as that for you!

I think I'm eating enough, eating enough of the right things, and drinking enough. But I'm going to start to keep a detailed record. So hopefully that will not only help me identify any problems, but will also help people on the forum give tips and pointers along the way. Thank you!

Hey Jenny,

You're going to be OK once we see the food that your chugging we can give you the lowdown.

However take heart with this from the guide and know you are not alone.....

"The first week or two will be tough, as your body heals and adjusts to this new way of eating and your brain wraps itself around going without all those sweet tastes and sugar-driven energy spikes.And while you may start to feel better after a week or two… the healing process takes significantly longer. In addition, the mental addiction and emotional connections to sugary foods, large amounts of processed carbohydrates and over-the-top, chemically-altered flavors is going to take a lot longer to overcome.

Stick with it, and be patient with yourself. You cannot reasonably expect to completely reverse decades of poor eating habits in just 30 days. The good news, however, is that improvements are front-loaded, and you will start to see significant benefits within the month.

At some point, we promise you… the magic will happen."

Archived