Hannah's log/recap of 1-5 (starting Day 6)

misshannah

(My husband and I are doing this together. We eat the same things.)

Recap of Days 1-5

Went well, very compliant. I'm trying to get to the bottom of some digestive distress I'm having. I mean, I've had it all my life, but now I'm trying to pinpoint what's really causing it.

(All beef is grass-fed. Eggs are local farmers mkt eggs. Bacon is Wellness Meats + sugar-free. Other pork is local (Colorado) but not sure if it's pastured, so we eat it infrequently. Chicken is as clean as is possible (usually wholefoods thighs).Veg is fresh and organic as possible/available. We drink black tea in the mornings and herbal tea at night. Daytime beverage is water or bubbly water.)

Day 1

·        Meal 1: ground beef w/ghee & sweet potato

·        M2 2hb eggs w/homemade mayo/mustard/flavors for deviled eggs. Bacon. Green salad.

·        M3 steak and asparagus. Handful of cherries.

Day 2

·        M1 Beef soup: homemade beef bone broth with tons of veg and daikon noodles.

·        M2 bacon and eggs w/fresh tomatoes

·        M3 Well-Fed carnitas and platanos maduros, green salad, concord grapes.

Day 3

·        M1 Beef soup: similar to day 2, but different veg (sliced radish, more onions), kimchi (white and red), concord grapes

·        M2 ground beef w/sunshine sauce on sauteed green beans

·        M3 Tom's butter chicken on green beans

Day 4

·        M1 ground beef & sunshine sauce w/boiled cabbage

·        M2 raw veg salad w/baked chicken thigh and olive oil/lemon dressing

·        M3 butter chicken on cabbage, kimchi, grapes

Day 5

·        M1 butter chicken on green beans

·        M2 salad w/chix thigh, oil & lemon

·        M3 omlette w/mushrooms, red peppers, green beans, avocado. Side sweet potatoes. Kimchi, grapes.

Today (Day 6)

·        M1 ground beef w/collards mushrooms and onions in ghee

·        M2 (planned since I'm going OUT!) petite burger (local beef) no bun, lite greens salad, lemon and oil

Looking over this I see a lack of veg. Which surprises me, I feel like we're eating a bunch of vegetables! I also see not much fruit, but that doesn't surprise me, I'm not a big fruit eater. I didn't outline all the fat, but we're cooking in coconut oil or ghee. I am not hungry between meals, but am hungry for the meals when it's time. I feel like that means the fat ratio is good. But after some meals I'm experiencing a LOT of bloating and I'm not sure why. 

Continuing Day 6: Going out was a bad idea. I ate what I planned (a beef patty with salad dressed with lemon and oil) but not only was my stomach upset, but the whole thing made me think "why am I being so extreme?" I shouldn't force myself to face temptations so early on.

I didn't knowingly eat anything non-compliant, and they don't use soy oil on the grill, so I think it was mostly just the overcooked patty. 

This afternoon I am super tired....I went back and checked the timeline and it's Day 6: sleep all the things. 

I ate a snack this afternoon: garden tomato, avocado, salt. A little bit of kimchi after.

Blah. 

Day 6 M3: scrambled eggs and bacon w/sauteed cabbage. A little kimchi, a little grapes. I'm trying to narrow down between the kimchi and grapes which is upsetting my digestion. I think volume is key. I need to get my healing guts used to the kimchi, and grapes -- I just need a very few. 

I fell asleep pretty easily and slept ok. I had a lot of weird dreams and woke up between 4-5 to use the bathroom. I turned up the air at that time, and then woke up headachy like I was dehydrated. Aha! It's having the air on too high that's causing that! 

Day 7

M1 ground beef with greens/curry seasoning

M2 butter chicken on zoodles w/avocado

M3 egg salad on chopped raw veg. Kimchi & grapes (it's concord grape season, that's all the fruit we'll eat until it's not avail anymore)

Weekend is coming up, that's the busy time for errands and Big Cook....but we put our plan in place over dinner on D7, so that works! 

Eating at a table instead of the tv is weird for us, but extremely enjoyable. I eat slower, and we talk. It's bonding. 

Day 9: (aka WEEKENDS ARE HARD)

bfast: food from teh whole foods deli: roast veg, grilled chili rubbed chicken, tuna salad, arugula salad, calabacitas, kombucha. All ingredients are listed on their foods, so all were compliant. There was a tiny amount of whole sweetcorn in the squash, but we just avoided it/picked it out. 

lunch: romaine, roast turkey, bacon, mayo, onion, garden tomatoes. 

dinner eggs and bacon

Day 10 

bfast chicken soup with veg

lunch seared shrimp salad  tuna in olive oil w/salt & pepper wrapped in romaine leaves (ran out of time and had to eat something!!)

dinner baked chicken thighs with green beans and salad  braised red cabbage.

Wow, you are doing really well. How's the bloating? Better? Some foods (FODMAPs usually) can cause this. Cabbage for example or broccoli. There is a shopping list here on the WH9 blog for low FODMAP veggies. You can try to avoid them for couple days and see what happens. Other than that - digestive distress is normal for first week or so. Tummy is adjusting and so on :)

Wow, you are doing really well. How's the bloating? Better? Some foods (FODMAPs usually) can cause this. Cabbage for example or broccoli. There is a shopping list here on the WH9 blog for low FODMAP veggies. You can try to avoid them for couple days and see what happens. Other than that - digestive distress is normal for first week or so. Tummy is adjusting and so on :)

Thanks!

I think it was too much kimchi and too many grapes at once. That caused some problems, but I eat cabbage all week and haven't had a problem since I reduced those two things. 

Day 11

bfast hamburger green beans sunshine sauce

lunch big salad w/chicken thigh, avocado

dinner 2 eggs, sweet potato & peppers & onions hash, green salad. A bit of white kimchi

I have a final exam in the morning and I noticed I was consumed with anxiety today that made me want to eat all the things. I ate some small snacks of cashews/almonds/coconut flakes (twice) and later a hardboiled egg. 

I had black tea in the morning. I was considering giving up caffeine but I'm not prepared for that yet. 

Day 13 & 14

Hmmmm I can't remember day 13 but it was some variation on the norm. We have been doing really well eating at the table and not in front of screens. I thought that was going to be the hardest habit to break, but it's actually been the easiest! I love sitting and talking with my husband, we go over the difficulties and triumphs of the day, we do some planning, I do homework while he's getting dinner ready. The evening feels so much more full and productive than just sitting and watching tv for hours. I'm actually shocked at how little I want to do that. I hope this part lasts. 

Day 14

Scary because it's lunch with mom day. We've changed up our morning schedule so we're eating at home! Breakfast is the same: beef w/ some veg, but it's nice and warm (and not nuked) and we can have a runny egg if we want etc. A second meal per day at the table, chatting? CAHRAZY. 

Lunch, though, last week, was not great. It was compliant, that's all that can be said. So, after that date I asked my mom if she would consider eating at the Whole Foods near my work for lunch just during this month. She agreed and we tried it yesterday for the first time. I feel like it was very successful! I had grilled beef that was delicious and compliant (no sauce) and their grilled asparagus salad, also compliant. They list all ingredients/allergens on each deli case item, so it's a great choice for me for lunch. However, what the heck, Whole Foods? So many veg dishes with soy lecithin? Why??  

I also drank a kombucha. My lunch was light on fat, so I ate some nuts when I came back to the office. 

Dinner was eggs and veg and homemade ketchup the hubs made. It tastes a lot like apple butter! But we mixed it with some home-made mayo, and are going to add some diced pickles, and it's a dead ringer for thousand island dressing!!

I guess I need to log more frequently or I can't remember the meals. This morning we had a big bowl of very well cooked green beans, caramelized onions, and beef and sunshine sauce. 

I cooked the veg during the big cook, but I over-cooked everything so then when it gets reheated it's even more over-cooked. B proposed that next week (this weekend) we do not cook a bunch of veg in advance since our two "cooked" meals are being cooked at home and eaten at home. I agree. A fresher flavor will be a welcome change! 

Day 15

Lunch was the usual delicious salad with baked chicken thigh. I also ate an avocado with it, and the white of a hardboiled egg. Our lunch salads are always dressed with lemon and olive oil, though that thousand island dressing might make an appearance next week! Tonight we're having aidells chicken apple sausage with balsamic cabbage and some variety of raw veg incl garden tomatoes and cukes. 

Tomorrow is our shopping day and Sunday is the biiiig cooook! I can't believe we're already at the half-way point. Cannot believe it.  

Day 16 bfast: chicken soup with a BUNCH of veg

lunch whole foods tuna and roasted peppers/onions/marinated mushrooms and kombucha

dinner more chicken soup w/a leftover chicken apple sausage. 

Weekends are super busy and the schedule is awfully hard to stick to! We have the dog and she goes to the park and on all the errands, so we have to be creative. 

Day 17 breakfast: local grass-fed sirloin tip steaks with leftover roasted carrots and other veg

lunch meatloaf and veg  prosciutto and salad and apple -- light, but all we really had time for

dinner chicken thighs 

Big cook day is kind of hectic, we take turns making different stuff, so we scramble to eat whatever/whenever. 

Weekends, bleh. I prefer the structure of weekdays. However, we're making some new recipes today so that's fun. We're changing up our last two weeks in order to be able to incorporate going to the gym in our mornings. It's a shame to waste this pep and energy, so adding exercise is a big goal for the second half of the w30. However, lengthening our mornings means shortening our evenings, so we really have to stick to a fast easy dinner and start our good bed habits earlier. That will be our challenge. 

Edited To Add: after "breakfast" (which happened closer to midday) we had an excellent long chat about our hopes and fears for after w30, and had some real talk about what things we were doing prior that were destructive to our health (and our marriage) (see: too much booze). The talk was extensive and sober and so inspiring. We reviewed the goals we each wrote at the beginning, cheered our successes in the goals we met, and renewed our commitment to the ones we haven't been paying as much attention to. At day 17, we have just under 2 weeks to roll in some new habits and keep this train going as long as possible. 

We've decided to keep a whole 30 house going forward, with some minimal dairy if we both can tolerate it on reintro. (butter, occasional whole fat greek yogurt, and local chevre).  That's how transforming this has been so far. I am looking forward to whatever the second half brings!!

Day 18 breakfast: Johnny's meatloaf, sauteed cabbage and fresh red bell peppers

lunch: YES INDEED, SALAD AND CHICKEN THIGH!

dinner:  chicken soup made with bone broth. salad.

Today I had some real hunger. I'm a little surprised, but then maybe I shouldn't be. We went to the gym this morning and even though I don't feel like I did all that much, I definitely broke a sweat. 

Because I'm trying to break a snack habit, my strategy for if I get hungry between meals is a mini egg salad (made with one hardboiled egg and homemade mayo) and celery sticks. That seems like a nice mini meal. I'm also upping my protein and fat at lunch (2 chicken thighs....muaaahahaha!).

Day 19

breakfast meatloaf and veg

lunch 2 chicken thighs and big salad and a pear

dinner chicken sausage and squash and salad (plus some bites of roast beef after it came out of the oven)

I've never been a big fruit eater, and I'm not sure if I'm following the template properly if I'm *not* including more than one serving of fruit a day. It's definitely not crowding veg off my plate. 

day 22 dinner

cold beef with sweet potato latkes and shallot/garlic vinaigrette portobellos

day 23 frittata and sweet potato hash w/beef

lunch roast beef and veg 

dinner chicken sausage squash broccoli

day 24 bone broth soup with daikon noodles leeks steak mushrooms etc

lunch baked chicken

dinner homemade pork sausage and eggs and shishito peppers

I can't believe I keep falling behind on this log!! Well, over the weekend we had a long discussion about what to do after day 30. We decided to start anew on Sept 1. This month has been a fantastic miracle. It has brought up some feelings and issues that needed to come out. 

Day 25 was zoodles, eggs and sausage

chicken and salad (this has not gotten boring, which is amazing)

dinner: TACO SALAD. My husband said he wanted to save that dish until late in our whole 30 in case we got bored with our other food. We didn't, but now I wish we'd been eating taco salad the entire time. It was so so so good. Tiny tomatoes, lettuce, olives, onions, avocado, spicy ground beef. Noms.

Day 26: cabbage eggs and sausage

chicken and salad

another Taco Salad! Yuuuummmm!

We had a hard evening, so Day 27 dinner was omelet with ground beef and broccoli and avo. 

Day 28 breakfast: carne asada and various clean veg from whole foods deli

lunch salad with chicken thighs

dinner  ?? maybe fish and brussels sprouts and salad

Day 28 dinner 

chicken apple sausages w/raw cabbage, cooked brussels, and fermented pickles

Day 29!?! 

Bfast: whole foods salad leftovers

Lunch: day 28 dinner leftovers

Dinner: Chocolate Chili from well-fed (made with homemade beef broth and homemade tomato sauce) (my first time using the pressure cooker)

Archived