re-heatable dorm room breakfast

finn

hi all, I'm going to be moving back to school on Sunday for RA (resident advisor) training, wooh! Here's the problem. The residence director for my residence hall sent an e-mail asking fellow RAs to reply with things we'd like for breakfast (we're going to eat as a group before training every morning); examples including juice, bagels, cereal..basically everything that's not paleo will be available, and I'm positive they won't buy me avocados, eggs and compliant bacon! ha! so I think I'm going to cook my own food at home, lug it in a cooler to school, and throw it in my fridge/freezer.

SO, any ideas for quick but filling meals I can microwave (or not) in my room then bring downstairs to eat with the group? I'm thinking egg muffins, canned tuna, maybe some sweet potato hash I can reheat? anyone know anything that would freeze and/or keep well in the fridge? thanks!

sidenote: starting the 14th, I'm reintroducing food groups...so that should be interesting. :lol:

could you not just take leftovers from dinner? or do you want to take food for lunch/dinner too?

(i'm not sure if you have kitchen facilities to prepare other food?)

or a cold breakfast - HB eggs, frittata (that could be reheated), salads, vegies with dips etc

could you not just take leftovers from dinner? or do you want to take food for lunch/dinner too?

(i'm not sure if you have kitchen facilities to prepare other food?)

or a cold breakfast - HB eggs, frittata (that could be reheated), salads, vegies with dips etc

i didn't even think of that! I'll probably be eating dinner at the dining hall every night so I can always bring a chicken breast and some veggies home for the next morning. frittata sounds good too--never made one but I love eggs

Can you have a crockpot in your room?  That opens up all kinds of possibilities.  And, Amberino's tip about left-overs is perfect.  If you're looking for a specific recipe to prep and freeze in servings, chocolate chili is always good one.  Add some olives or avocado, and cook with carrots or pumpkin to increase the veggie value.

When I traveled to a weekend soccer tournament, I made massaged kale salad and tuna salad and packaged it up into meals.  It was super easy to just bring one of my tupperwares to the breakfast room.  Leftovers from dinner is a great idea, too!

• 2 weeks later...

I am copying this from another post about breakfast. I made both of these and they lasted for like 5-6 days each.

First an egg casserole. I made this in a big cake pan. When it was cool, I cut it into 10 slices and individually wrapped some so I can just throw them in my bag and go. They will freeze well too. While its cooking, you may see liquid bubbling at the top - that doesn't mean its not done. Just check periodically - if the top seems solid, take it out. I used a glass pan and the eggs seemed to pull away from the side of the pan - little to no sticking. You could line with parchment though.

1 sweet potato, diced

1 small or half a medium red onion, sliced thinly

2 zucchini or summer squash, thin sliced and halfed

1 bell pepper, diced

1 cup spinach

1/2 to 3/4 lb pork sausage (*optional - if you include, make sure its whole30 compliant) 

12 eggs

Olive oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Saute the sweet potato and slice onion with olive oil. Keep an eye on the pan so they do not burn. Add a little balsamic vinegar to help them carmelize a bit. Remove from pan and set aside in a 9x13 pan.
  3. Saute the zucchini and bell pepper until they are soft - when they are getting close to done, throw in the spinach and saute that as well. Add to 9x13 pan.
  4. Cook the sausage if using - add to the 9x13 pan. Toss the veggies and meat together.  
  5. Crack all eggs into a bowl and wisk until scrambled. Pour over veggies and meat and throw in the oven. Cook for about 30-40 minutes. (To be honest I do not know how long I cooked it - just wiggle the pan a little and if it seems solid, it should be okay)
  6. Let cool and slice. 

Second was a sweet potato "hash" - I just threw this in a big tupperware, spooned it out in the morning and microwaved. 

3-4 sweet potatoes, diced or shredded

3 bell peppers, diced

1 red onion, diced

1 package of Aidell's chicken sausages, sliced.

Olive oil or coconut oil or other cooking fat

1. Saute the vegetables together in oil until they are slightly carmelized and soft.
  2. Add the chicken sausages and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. 
  3. Let it cool and transfer to tupperware. 

I make a giant frittata, with lots of veggies and reheat it everyday. Today it had spinach, garlic, onions, mushrooms and peppers in it. I ate it with some sweet potato hash (that I made up on the weekend) and some fat slices of tomato. Yummmmmm.

Archived