Bringing your own airplane food/snacks

Honey Sue

I will be travelling a lot during the fall and while I usually don't have any problems eating Whole30-compliant while I'm away I've discovered that the in-flight meals ususally doesn't fit this plan. I can usually get something that's gluten-free OR dairy-free, sometimes if I'm lucky it's both, but they can never guarantee it, and they can't provide soy/legume-free meals. Also, I'm allergic/sensitive to chicken, and I've noticed that it's very common as airplane food. They only cater to special needs if you have a life-threatening allergy and can prove that you need to carry an epipen, which I don't.

So, I need to bring something which I can eat on long flights. I used to make "snack packs" with beef jerky, nuts and dried fruit/berries, but I'd rather not eat a whole lot of them as the dried fruit is a bit to sugary for me (and on flights that are 6+ hours I need something more "meaty"). I'm going to try the meat and spinach muffins from Well Fed, they seem portable enough, but it would be great to have some more ideas on what I could pack! I'm open for all suggestions that doesn't need to be heated, can be brought on a plane and doesn't contain chicken.

I've had the same challenge. One thing you can try is to bring tuna (the kind that is vacuum-sealed or has a pop-top can) and a little (airplane-permissible-sized) container of vinaigrette, then mix it with some vegetables for a kind of paleo Nicoise. You can also bring some previously cooked but frozen meat (beef or something else you can tolerate better than chicken), then by the time you're midway through the long flight it's thawed. Put a little avocado on it and roll it up in lettuce leaves or something. Not gourmet, but paleo. I would think you could also make a kelp noodle salad with some sort of nut-butter based dressing and veggies -- won't have a ton of protein, but a snack-level of protein. Hardboiled eggs are also easy to bring on a flight. 

• Moderators

I always travel with baby carrots/celery/sugar snap peas (will last many hours at room temp); an avocado, olives in a baggie, nuts; canned sardines in water or salmon or tuna in a packet.

Curried coconut flakes from Well Fed are another wonderful thing to pack.

I also take a LARABAR or make my own with dates (pit and soak in a little bit of hot water, then blend/muddle to make a paste), shredded coconut, plain cocoa, macadamias. Chop finely or use food processor to blend all together. Roll in more cocoa or coconut shreds (or both) so the outside isn't too sticky.

Primal pacs sounds good, but unfortunately they don't seem to ship to Sweden :/

Also, I'd rather stay away from dates, dried fruit and other sweet stuff...my sugar dragon is pretty tame by now, but he does try to be a rebel sometimes :P I think I'll pack a couple of lettuce rolls with beef and avocado, some meat muffins and a bag of veggies and nuts, that should keep me from starving!

Archived