Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

@angela for me it was never torture, really... in previous diets I always had problems with portion control and feeling very very hungry. That is now not the case and that makes me happy. I loved the food and have never really missed anything.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Marjan @Angela: Agreed with Marjan, I didn't find it torture. I found two weeks of Atkins torture (just too much cream and butter, so rich! Plus I HATED not being able to eat any fruit at all) But I was slightly taken aback yesterday when I thought, 'Oh,it's almost over'. The last half seemed to whizz by for me. When I was halfway through I thought 'I'm halfway through!!!' Then I thought, 'Oh, I have to do all of that all over again for the same amount of time.' But it wasn't a chore at all. I got so used to refusing things, not drinking, just doing my own thing that I am fairly confident I'll be able to keep it up.

Back to thinking about post Whole30: I'm also looking forward to not freaking out about soy in stuff and eating cured meat (in small quantities; I won't buy it but if it's in something I'm eating it's OK).

Clarifying what I meant by "torture,"

cravings, fatigue, kill all things.....not so much waterboarding...

It took about two weeks for my husband to stop whining about soda.  That was definitely torture for me.  It took about two weeks for my headache to go away.  It was a torturous headache.

I could go back through the thread and pinpoint an approximate date for each of us.  The date that it went from, "OMG I have to face another day of [blank]" to "such and such happened but it was no big deal. I took a bite of a peach and forgot to eat the rest of it."

So how 'bout - at what point did it stop seeming like "so much work" and start feeling quasi-normal?  For me, that was last week.  When your tastes change and you're familiar with the menu, you can just eat "ingredients" or whip up something. I stopped hanging out in the kitchen and let my DH and DD fend for themselves sometimes.  And they can!  They can steam some broccoli, microwave a sweet potato, pan fry some meat.  My DH has gotten very adept at making himself elk burgers wrapped in lettuce.  We've both gotten adept at knowing how much of whatever we need to keep the fridge stocked with easy things.  Yesterday, I did not spend the day in the kitchen!  It was a-w-e-s-o-m-e.  As long as I keep mayo stocked, we're all good. 

I guess I was a bit dramatic about "torture."  

What is your favorite new food?  Mine is sauteed kale with a spoonful of mayo mixed in at the end.

Favorite new (rediscovered) food this Whole30:  olive tapenade.  

I'm feeling good.  Going to have a greek yogurt tomorrow morning instead of eggs and see how it goes.  It will be a good test for how long it keeps me satisfied (or if I have a sugar crash) as I know every other week when that has happened.

Off subject but you all might know:  I want to get a sun therapy light box for the winter.  They range in price so much and I have no idea where to start.  Anyone have one they like or a brand name to suggest?

I just did my first On Ramp course of crossfit and I legit can't move. I think what was fun is we just talked about paleo and Whole 30 for most of it. 

Today was supposed to be day 1 of reintroduction, but because I don't want to reintroduce I just ate normal. I had to prep all my meals because of the crossfit at 7pm and I was babysitting in multiple houses today. I came home last night and made chicken tenderloins in the oven for my lunch and post workout snack and dinner. I think I figured out (finally) how to eat around exercising. I also made a sausage for breakfast, and 2 sweet potatoes. 

I ate:

B: sausage, almonds, avocado, sweet potatoes

L: chicken, sweet potato, avocado

PreWO: 2 fried eggs, olives

PoWO: chicken (small amount)

15 min later dinner: rest of chicken (so between the two portions it was a normal portion of meat), spaghetti squash, few olives

Lots of water, kombucha

Omg I hurt so bad...back to food. @angela thanks for quoting me :) I definitely think my brain has remapped itself and it will only get better with time. I used to give in to every emotion and craving, and now I'm having a brief conversation with myself to see how I really feel. It's great. I just hope it keeps itself up. 

Whoop whoop, I stood on the scale, tonight, after dinner, clothes on..... (so not even cheating by taking clothes off). I lost about 6kgs (about 3 pounds)! Chuffed!

Marjan

I believe that 6 Kg is actually 13 Lbs.   Congrats!!!

I just did my first On Ramp course of crossfit and I legit can't move. I think what was fun is we just talked about paleo and Whole 30 for most of it.

Today was supposed to be day 1 of reintroduction, but because I don't want to reintroduce I just ate normal. I had to prep all my meals because of the crossfit at 7pm and I was babysitting in multiple houses today. I came home last night and made chicken tenderloins in the oven for my lunch and post workout snack and dinner. I think I figured out (finally) how to eat around exercising. I also made a sausage for breakfast, and 2 sweet potatoes.

I ate:

B: sausage, almonds, avocado, sweet potatoes

L: chicken, sweet potato, avocado

PreWO: 2 fried eggs, olives

PoWO: chicken (small amount)

15 min later dinner: rest of chicken (so between the two portions it was a normal portion of meat), spaghetti squash, few olives

Lots of water, kombucha

Omg I hurt so bad...back to food. @angela thanks for quoting me :) I definitely think my brain has remapped itself and it will only get better with time. I used to give in to every emotion and craving, and now I'm having a brief conversation with myself to see how I really feel. It's great. I just hope it keeps itself up.

If you're training intensely (sounds like it if you can't move!!) I'd make sure to really utilise your postWO - a meal sized portion of lean protein is recommended, and I'd also include starchy carbs. This will really help you get the most benefit out of your training!!

@amberino21: thanks, that helps. After reading ISWF properly I realised I had to get more serious about eating pre and post workout. I still almost always forget to have a handful of nuts or something before the workout but I've taken to having a box of frittata slices and a sweet potato in my workout bag so on the way home on the tube I eat as soon as I can. I'm quite self conscious though as eating on the tube is relatively rare (unless it's a bag of crisps (chips to you Americans!) or a late night snack of chips (fries)) so I know I look an absolute sight: so sweaty my hair is stuck to my scalp and chowing down on cold frittata and a whole sweet potato. But I'm learning to be more confident when I know I'm doing what's right for me!

@amberino21: thanks, that helps. After reading ISWF properly I realised I had to get more serious about eating pre and post workout. I still almost always forget to have a handful of nuts or something before the workout but I've taken to having a box of frittata slices and a sweet potato in my workout bag so on the way home on the tube I eat as soon as I can. I'm quite self conscious though as eating on the tube is relatively rare (unless it's a bag of crisps (chips to you Americans!) or a late night snack of chips (fries)) so I know I look an absolute sight: so sweaty my hair is stuck to my scalp and chowing down on cold frittata and a whole sweet potato. But I'm learning to be more confident when I know I'm doing what's right for me!

I've long stopped caring about where/ when I eat food :)

(And I'm an Australian, with a British passport ....lived in the uk for a few years, and the rest of my family is from there!)

If you're training intensely (sounds like it if you can't move!!) I'd make sure to really utilise your postWO - a meal sized portion of lean protein is recommended, and I'd also include starchy carbs. This will really help you get the most benefit out of your training!!

If I eat a small amount of protein right away and a starchy carb and protein a half hour later is that okay? Or should I eat the starchy carb and protein right away? I don't know why this confuses me so much.

If I eat a small amount of protein right away and a starchy carb and protein a half hour later is that okay? Or should I eat the starchy carb and protein right away? I don't know why this confuses me so much.

Have a meal sized portion of lean protein with some starchy carbs postWO, then have a proper template meal later. You can include some carbs then too if you like - it's probably the best time to include them.

Archived