Starting Whole30 September 1st.

kacheentemple

Helgahelga - let me know how you like the beef! I didn't find I missed the honey at all. 

Today was much better than yesterday. Slept better, better energy. I went for a very easy run (my roommate is relatively new to running and she set the pace) so that was a nice change. I have a busy week coming up so I am hoping it will fly by. I'm feeling quite good but I'm anxious to weigh in. I'm not even desperate for the food restriction part to be over...I just want to weigh myself. I know it's not about weight loss and I know I've lost something but for some reason I'm really fighting the urge right now. Maybe this is the real habit I am trying to break. 

Here's hoping for some Tiger Blood this week as I will need it! 

Hope everyone had a good weekend. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bookworm, I have the opposite problem.  I could care less what the scale says right now, I know I am lighter than I was because of how my clothes fit but I am so ANXIOUS about food lately and can't wait for the restrictions to lift someone as I transition to Paleo. 

I feel concerned all the time about food and ingredients, and I feel resentful and frustrated with meals and meal planning.  Then, I feel guilty about feeling that way.  I honestly feel right now like the program is having the opposite effect on me (in this one area, not all) in that instead of breaking negative associations with food, I am creating them.  It's super discouraging- I have never had this type of psychological association with food/food guilt before.  I am considering starting the re-intro phase a week early, just so that I don't exacerbate the issue.  Has anyone else struggled with this?

I obviously love all the benefits- I feel great, and I am proud of the progress that I've made in all the other ways: better educated, better choices, fewer cravings, overall energy levels and the way my body looks.  The last thing I need is disordered eating or to develop bad habits and I feel so confused and lost in all of this.

Ugh, I don't know what it is. I just feel like I haven't lost weight so I'm feeling like I'm doing something wrong. I'm really trying not to think about it too much. I feel good otherwise. 

I can't believe this is my day 22. I was making plans for this weekend and thinking "so that'll be day 26/27..." which is so surreal. I hope everyone is having a good Monday and not obsessing over the scale like I have. 

BecFreeby - I can totally see where you are coming from. It's easy to get obsessive at being as perfect as possible. I think it's important to recognize that it's about doing the best you can when it comes to food, ingredients and food quality. You don't have to eat anything you don't want to eat when your whole30 is done, but you can still make more informed food choices with the best knowledge and resources you have. I think a key point is not to label any food as "bad". Nothing is bad (except maybe frankenfoods), but you feel better eating one way than you do another. Don't make it about one food being good vs. one food being bad, make it about feeling good when you eat one way and feeling less good when you eat another way. It's about you, not the food. And I think in terms of the food guilt it's most important to never eat mindlessly. If you want to eat a chocolate bar you can...but don't just eat it because it's there. Eat it because you want it. 

I think I'm just rambling now. Did that make any sense? 

Day 23 going great. Had an awesome workout tonight.

Bec, only one week left! Hang in there so you can say you did it! Don't obsess over stuff you can't eat, and look at all the wonderful things you can eat! Go to your farmers market or grocery store and try a veggie you may have never had before, or haven't in awhile. I found 2 new squash at my farmers market I had never seen before, dumpling squash, and buttercup squash. Both were amazing! I love trying new veggies :)

More of my family and friends are considering trying Whole30 next month. Has anyone else inspired people close to them to give it a go?

Bec- hang in there! According to the timeline this about the time some propale get tired and overwhelmed by food, so now that this is just part of the process.

Bookworm- I loved the beef! It is really good and you really don't miss the honey, I really liked it!

About you not feeling you are dropping weight, back in April during my first Whole30 i was convinced my face was fuller but the last 10 days really made a difference, real fast. I did more a whole35 but weighted and measured on day 31 and 36 and those 5 last days I lost 2 pounds and half an inch from my waist. Keep on it, it will be worth it!

Kacheen- during my first whole30 back in April my mom and my sister in law started their own Whole30. My mom finished it on her second attempt, my SIL on her first and they both still eat pretty paleo. My mom feels bad if she has gluten, my SIL doesn't and she pretty much eats SAD during the weekends. A little later one of my closest friend did a Whole30 and still eats paleo.

This time around, my aunt started yesterday and my grandma will start in a couple of days!! 😃 My aunt is very fit but has a very sensible stomach so she's hoping a whole30 will help her pin point exactly the problem. My grandma is healthy and not overweight but she has a tremblor on both hands that make it difficult for her to write or eat soup. It is Parkinson's like but it is not Parkinson. I think my grandpa will benefit too because he has some joint pain. He won't be doing a whole30 officially but his diet will change for sure. I really hope my grandma's problem will improve.

I feel so blah. I had some personal trouble yesterday and I am still upset about it (couples problems) and my stomach has been hurting for a couple of days. I suspect nuts could be to blame so I'll stay away from them. Right now I am trying to finish my sweet potato with ground beef and an egg and my stomach is hurting too. I don't know, maybe it is an emotional response to my current situation.

Good luck you all!!

I just spoke with my aunt who started yesterday a Whole30 and another one of my aunts is starting next Monday! (I have 4 and my mom is trying to convince another one). Amazing! The power of Good Food Word.

I was looking for a change in my diet and in my birth board forum in babycenter I read about Whole9 and started a Whole30 2 days later. Them my mom, SIL, BFF (who got 2 other friends with her), aunt and soon my grandma and another aunt will be starting. And this has changed my SO's diet, brother's and soon grandpa's and uncle's. Our men are difficult! But i am so glad I had been able to impact the current and future health of my loved ones. If only I could get my very very picky 2 years old on board!

Greetings everyone 😀

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/health/tired-dragging-diet-change/?iref=obinsite

Has anyone seen this?  They only get it aobut 1/4 right... silly mainstream "science."

An update: I did end up beginning my re-intro early, because I really don't want to create psychological baggage for myself- I did not get the feeling that these reactions had to do with being bored with food, but were rather anxieties related to trying to avoid all the crap and I was getting so caught up in it that I felt myself slipping into disordered eating.  Not good.  So, at this point, I feel good about the choice (but I don't want to let all of you down!). I considered pushing through, but since I am planning on continuing to eat this way about 80% moving forward, I didn't think there was much merit to to bragging rights.  I am doing this for personal reasons, to get healthy and build good habits.  I plan to do a Whole7 every month, and will restart the Whole30 in January, and will continue to do one every quarter moving forward.  So, I am looking at the last 22 days as a stepping stone in a life built on healthy principles and a new approach to nutrition.  I feel amazing- and I am so proud to be a part of a community like this.  Thanks for all the help and support.

I will continue to check in and let everyone know how it's going.  KEEP IT UP!

I've had a really busy week and I don't know if it's because I'm tired/sleep deprived but I just feel really bloated and I'm not waking up with much energy. Disappointing! 

On the upside, I'm really excited because I'm at school to be a Registered Dietitian and I just started volunteering with a paleo-friendly sports dietitian whose office is in a CrossFit gym. She works with all kinds of athletes (vegan, etc.) but she's very well versed in paleo. It's so refreshing. I just had my first shift this morning. So I've been busy but good busy. 

And seriously - FOUR AND A HALF MORE DAYS!  AHHHH! 

How's everyone doing? Ready for our last weekend? 

Bookworm, glad you're seeing it through! Hold in there!

I am doing great, feel better than ever! I attribute most of that to the regular workouts, since I was already paleo before doing Whole30, so the eating hasn't been as radical for me as most of you. I really can't wait to weigh in at the end, because I don't feel like I have lost. I guess we will see :)

I've had a really busy week and I don't know if it's because I'm tired/sleep deprived but I just feel really bloated and I'm not waking up with much energy. Disappointing!

On the upside, I'm really excited because I'm at school to be a Registered Dietitian and I just started volunteering with a paleo-friendly sports dietitian whose office is in a CrossFit gym. She works with all kinds of athletes (vegan, etc.) but she's very well versed in paleo. It's so refreshing. I just had my first shift this morning. So I've been busy but good busy.

And seriously - FOUR AND A HALF MORE DAYS! AHHHH!

How's everyone doing? Ready for our last weekend?

Have you got a food log somewhere? Or are you able to write down a few days worth of food for us?

Perhaps others can give suggestions on how to tweak what you're doing for better results?

Amberino - 

So my days are usually something like this: 

Meal 1: 3 eggs either scrambled or omelet in coconut oil. With kale, tomato and onion all diced in. Salt and pepper. 

Meal 2: Lettuce wraps with chicken, cucumber, carrots and a drizzle of some balsamic vinaigrette (homemade), walnuts. OR ground chicken burgers with sweet potato spears and small tomatoes roasted in avocado oil. OR a spinach salad with chicken breast, some nuts, dressing, cucumbers, etc. Or leftovers such as Well Fed's chilli. Some fruit such as an apple or a banana or some red grapes. 

Meal 3: Well Fed Chilli or Beef Stew or julienned zucchini with pork/beef meatballs (Well Fed recipe) and tomato sauce. Some fruit again, usually varies on what kind. And occasionally I'll have a steak or try a new recipe here. 

I think the low energy is because I haven't slept well/enough this week. I don't feel "thinner" after 26 days and I"m just not sure why. 

Occasionally if I'm starving I'll have a little something after the gym. Usually fat and protein, so some left over meat and a spoonful of almond butter or something. I try not to, but it depends on the day. 

On the upside, I don't really have cravings after dinner. There's a bar of chocolate sitting in my cupboard right now and I'm not even tempted to reach for it. 

Oh, and I have two cups of coffee in the morning with canned coconut milk. But I can usually get through my first class (so until about 10:30am) without needing the coffee. I just enjoy it. 

Amberino -

So my days are usually something like this:

Meal 1: 3 eggs either scrambled or omelet in coconut oil. With kale, tomato and onion all diced in. Salt and pepper.

Meal 2: Lettuce wraps with chicken, cucumber, carrots and a drizzle of some balsamic vinaigrette (homemade), walnuts. OR ground chicken burgers with sweet potato spears and small tomatoes roasted in avocado oil. OR a spinach salad with chicken breast, some nuts, dressing, cucumbers, etc. Or leftovers such as Well Fed's chilli. Some fruit such as an apple or a banana or some red grapes.

Meal 3: Well Fed Chilli or Beef Stew or julienned zucchini with pork/beef meatballs (Well Fed recipe) and tomato sauce. Some fruit again, usually varies on what kind. And occasionally I'll have a steak or try a new recipe here.

I think the low energy is because I haven't slept well/enough this week. I don't feel "thinner" after 26 days and I"m just not sure why.

Occasionally if I'm starving I'll have a little something after the gym. Usually fat and protein, so some left over meat and a spoonful of almond butter or something. I try not to, but it depends on the day.

On the upside, I don't really have cravings after dinner. There's a bar of chocolate sitting in my cupboard right now and I'm not even tempted to reach for it.

Oh, and I have two cups of coffee in the morning with canned coconut milk. But I can usually get through my first class (so until about 10:30am) without needing the coffee. I just enjoy it.

There is nothing to me that stands out for bloating - unless you're sensitive to nuts, coconut or you're eating a huge amount of raw vegies. I do wonder if you're getting enough food in general - your breakfast sounds light in vegies (I'd go for 2-3 cups), and you only have cooking fat, most of which would be left in the pan. Dinner doesn't sound like a lot of fat - I'm not sure how much is in the recipes you mentioned?

Energy could be due to lack of fat, not enough starchy vegies, and not enough food. When you exercise, do you have pre/postWO? You mention fat and protein after the gym - this is the recommendation for preWO. Post WO you need a meal sized portion of lean protein and starchy vegies. This is vital for refuelling and recovery!

I haven't been feeling that hungry upon waking so I haven't had much desire to eat in the mornings. Last time I attempted this I was lightly hungry every night before bed but I'm just not this time around. It's odd. In terms of dinner fats I do aim for about a tablespoon and I try and tip any leftover fat from the pan onto my plate. I usually use the oil to cook my veggies in as well. I was eating a lot of raw stuff but have switched to cooked in a lot of ways. I'm eating much fewer salads this time around . 

I usually plan my workouts so the end are right before or right after a meal (to minimize the need for a snack). So I'll eat a later lunch, go to the gym, have a post workout snack if I need it and then have dinner. If there's a starch post-workout it's included in my dinner. 

There's also the possibility that this is all in my head and it's some compensatory, anxiety response to not weighing in for 30 days. I do find I feel better if I take Natural Calm before bed but I haven't done that the last couple of nights. I will do it tonight and see what happens. 

Thanks for your input! 

I usually plan my workouts so the end are right before or right after a meal (to minimize the need for a snack). So I'll eat a later lunch, go to the gym, have a post workout snack if I need it and then have dinner. If there's a starch post-workout it's included in my dinner.

Thanks for your input!

Snacking is completely different to having pre/postWO food. You are supposed to give your body extra fuel if you're working out as you need the extra nutrients to help you refuel, repair and get benefit out of your exercise. Leaving these meals out (because you want to lose fat and think eating less is the answer?) isn't suggested! Id eat lunch at a normal time, then have a preWO, postWO immediately after exercise and a normal meal for dinner when you get home.

Your postWO should be little to no fat so your body can utilise the protein/carbs as quickly as possible. Having a normal meal postWO doesn't allow this to happen as the fat slows things down.

Hi!

I am currently out of town and so far so good! I can believe how fast it has been this time around for me. I really can't believe it is almost over. I know my results weight and measures wise won't be as great as last time but I know I've lost some fat and the clothes feel more comfortable. I had some rough days with very bad stomach ache but now it is all in the past.

How is everyone?

So in honour of Day 29 let's talk post-whole30 plans? What's everyone doing? What are you going to eat? Spill! 

I will be eating chocolate Wednesday night. And maybe some greek yogurt with breakfast. And some cheese with lunch. Sticking with the dairy-reintro initially to see how I feel. Friday is my roommate's surprise party (that I am coordinating) so I'll be baking cupcakes and trying my best to stick to reintro protocol. I will definitely have some wine then but I'll try and stay away from the cupcakes. I don't want to eat one just to say I ate one, you know? I'm trying to be methodical in my reintro because I don't want the next three days to turn into "let's eat everything I haven't eaten in a month as fast as humanly possible". 

Hi everyone- you made it to Day 30! Woo hoo, rockstars!

bookworm, I started with dairy- hard cheese, followed by some milk, then did yogurt.  It makes me slightly gassy, but if I eat smaller amounts then it isn't uncomfortable the way it would be if I had, say, fondue... go figure! :-)

I also tested out sugar- very small amounts, and the last one was a cupcake.  Sweet things are SUPER sweet, it was definitely a turn-off.  I will not be adding it back in anymore, because I had an instant headache. 

Soy was AWFUL.  My body hated everything about it and I don't remember a worse stomach ache.  I haven't given other legumes a try yet.

Gluten seems to make my stomach upset too.  Also, that had the biggest effect on my body the next day- sleepy, grumpy and bloated, so unfortunately the crackers and baguettes that I love so much are out. But hey, it's a small price to pay for health! 

I have been staying mostly on plan, actually, which surprised me.  I think I will do a Whole7 this week, to do another reset and truly test out this dairy thing.  If it makes me gassy, I want to be sure it's dairy and not something else because I sure do love cheese!

Archived