Starting Whole30 September 1st.

kacheentemple

Funny, I've tried this recipe 4 times, where 3 times I've failed and only 1 time succeeded (the first time trying). Dunno what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's my olive oil... 

When I first made it, it was really nasty. I think it was two different things (1) use light (not extra virgin) olive oil...the cheaper stuff & (2) let your egg and lemon juice sit for about 30 minutes in the blender before you start adding oil and blending. It makes all the difference.

I made it through the day without snacking which is a big improvement for me! I think it is definitely stress related (my eating around 4 pm).  Running has been a little sluggish but overall I feel great!  Now to focus on dropping down the coffee intake....

Hang in there everyone!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, I've tried this recipe 4 times, where 3 times I've failed and only 1 time succeeded (the first time trying). Dunno what I'm doing wrong. Maybe it's my olive oil... 

Make sure you are using extra light tasting olive oil and not evoo. I have a really low power immersion blender. Make sure you are using the lowest speed. I put my blender at the bottom of the jar and turn it on and don't move it at all until I don't see anything new happening in the jar. Than I very slightly and slowly tip it to the side and again hold it still until I don't see anything new happening. Than I slowly pull it up and stop at various levels. I've never had to let my ingredients come to room temperature using this method.

Hi All!

I started my Whole30 journey on September 1 as well so I'm on Day 4.  Right now, I'm craving chocolate covered peanuts like you wouldn't believe.  I've tried everything to break the craving (except take a nap - I'm at work!) and nothing seems to be working.  I was getting to the point where I wanted to break down and just quit but I started reading and decided I should keep going.  Hoping the cravings get a little less intense soon.  I'm miserable here!

I did read the Whole30 Timeline that outlines possible feelings a person may have during the program.  At 1:00am this morning, I woke up and could NOT fall back asleep.  I definitely was experiencing the KILL ALL THE THINGS phase.  That's lessened a bit as the days gone on, but holy moly...

Hey everyone,

I'm on Day 3 (started Tuesday). It's technically my second time starting but I had serious issues with binge eating the last time so I'm hoping to make it the full 30 days this time without any "problems". So far, so good, but Day 30 seems far away.

Oh and thank god for the Well Fed cookbook. The recipes in there have all been amazing. My dad devoured the Moroccan Meatballs last night and (proudly) told me he had both his coffees black that morning.

I'm feeling really bloated right now and can't wait to drop some of this water weight. The temptation to weigh myself hasn't been there so far, so that's been good too.

Day 3 went well, still going strong. Welcome to the new folks!

Aristle maybe try the cream that floats to the to of the coconut milk when you put in the fridge, won't be as watered down tasting.

Rdallas, we could all use the pep talk :)

Cargy, my husband is also having a hard time with feeling hungry, I told him to eat his meal, then wait 30 minutes before eating again if he still thinks he is hungry.

Laurap good luck, coffee is a hard one to give up. I still fantasize about my mocha lattes!

Becky, mayo is a tricky one. I haven't tried it yet, but I have read that you have to add the oil very slowly or it flops. I want to try to make some, I will have to look up the recipe Lindsay suggests.

And Lindsay, good luck on your marathon!

Keep up the good work everyone :)

Oh, I didn't realize you had to hit next page to get to the rest of the comments! Wow, we have quite the party going on! Sorry I missed the rest of you earlier.

Mahaley, Amber is righ on about fats, it is hard to get in the mind set that fat is good. When I told my hubby to help himself to my lard when he cooks, he was like, won't that miss the point of the diet? Obviously he doesn't listen to what I've been saying? Lol. Also good luck on losing the acid reflux, I lost mine after going paleo, I suspect the wheat was causing it.

Physibeth, thanks for posting that video! That way looks so much easier than some I watched. I would really like an immersion blender for many reasons, this adds to the list :)

Chica, sorry to hear about the flop of mayo, hopefully you had sone edible dressing like Mahaley!

Thanks for the great tips Farmgirl!

Thanks Elizabeth! I have heard of Wellness meats, guess the thought of meat being sent in the mail irks me a little. Might just wait out the month :) My local farmer had bacon today, I bought 3 packs, saving it in my freezer till the end of the month, it too has sugar in it.

Highheellady, glad your hanging in there, hope those craving settle down.

Bookworm, glad you got dad on board! My mom is doing it with me, good to have someone to "suffer" with, lol.

I need to add Well Fed to my wishlist, maybe Santa will bring me one if I am a good girl!

Going to the farmers market tomorrow, my favorite day of the week :) I love chatting up the farmers, they have such great stories! Plus I want to make some more of the salad I made last week, it was awesome!

Good luck everyone!

Started my first Whole30 on my birthday (Monday the 2nd) after learning about it from a fellow runner and reading some of the website.  So far, so good at the end of day 3.  I'm on a staycation this week at home, so haven't had to deal with eating out or other significant temptations yet.  A few sugar cravings, but not too bad, probably leaning a little too much on cashews and fruit as snacks, but it's better that what I was eating before.  Figured if I can make it through the first week at home it might make it easier.  A little concerned about how to fuel for running, I'm in the middle of training for a half marathon and usually use Gatorade-type sports drinks and Gu or other gels and am not sure of the best options without sugar. Have read some recommendations on here, but haven't figured out what I'm going to try yet.  Have a couple more days before my next long run to decide.  Would welcome any suggestions from experienced W30 members.  Thanks! 

Good morning day 5! Each day I start feeling a little bit better, despite this cold I am currently fighting off. It's amazing how well the daily flyers I receive follow this process. Today I received one about social situations and I have a BBQ to go to this afternoon. I'm bringing my own dinner so I'm not too worried about it. This weekend will be more of a challenge though- my fiance is a hard core Packer fan (everyone is in WI) and Sundays usually consist of going to the local bar (we don't have TV), drinking beer/alcohol, and ordering appetizers (nothing will be compliant with the diet). I may stay just stay home on Sunday instead. Does anyone else have any interesting weekend plans?

I officially started yesterday. So far so good. I say officially because my daughter is visiting between a dental residency and new job that starts in about a month. She decided to use this time period to do the Whole 30 and is less than a week away from completion. We agreed when she started that she could cook whatever she liked and I would do all cleanup. I've been following her lead with a few exceptions and already lost six pounds on HER program! We bought some new cookbooks and are enjoying the food. It will be interesting to see what MY Whole 30 does. I can already tell my allergies are subsiding as well as most cravings. My daughter will be here for most of my program. It's wonderful having that kind of support in my home. We both agree we will miss sharing the kitchen duties when she leaves but it's good knowing we will both have new "survival" skills by then.

I'm also on the September 1st train! I'm new to Paleo and the Whole30... I figured I might as well jump in with both feet and get the hard part out of the way. So, here I am on Day 5, and so far feeling pretty good! I definitely had the "flu" until yesterday but otherwise the headaches and cravings have been manageable. I think I'm eating a bit too much fruit, but I live in the Pacific NW and the seasonal fruit this time of year is amazing... I'm not using it to feed the sugar dragon, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I'm probably ok... right?! (This is me desperately seeking validation.).

Are any of you having a lot of heaviness in your limbs? During my run last night, my legs felt like they weighed 100 pounds each!

I'm also on the September 1st train! I'm new to Paleo and the Whole30... I figured I might as well jump in with both feet and get the hard part out of the way. So, here I am on Day 5, and so far feeling pretty good! I definitely had the "flu" until yesterday but otherwise the headaches and cravings have been manageable. I think I'm eating a bit too much fruit, but I live in the Pacific NW and the seasonal fruit this time of year is amazing... I'm not using it to feed the sugar dragon, as I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I'm probably ok... right?! (This is me desperately seeking validation.).

Are any of you having a lot of heaviness in your limbs? During my run last night, my legs felt like they weighed 100 pounds each!

I have been feeling heavy on my runs this week. I'm not pushing it too hard, though. I think it will pass. I've been forcing myself to eat post workout ....I really don't love hard boiled eggs but they are a really easy option. I hoping that in time I will recover more quickly and gain some strength. For now, I just get it done...If I couldn't leave the house and run I might lose my marbles. My 3 year and 18 month old sons have recently decided to constantly wrestle each other. The younger one weighs as much as the older so it can be pretty funny (and a little tense)!

Baby shower fun on Saturday will provide a little test for me. I've made it through these things before so I know I'll be fine but I have to mentally prepare....ha!

For those of you ready to try some new recipes, the Well Fed cookbook really is great. My little family gobbled up the Chocolate Chili...it was fantastic even though I was hesitant to make it...Happy Thursday!

Hi! I'm a noob. I started on Tuesday, after the holiday weekend, spent camping with my folks. It was possibly the worst time to start... I was already hormonal and emotional and was on four days straight of sleepless nights and... y'know. If you're gonna do something that makes you feel worse (at the start), you don't want to be already feeling bad! I've had a splitting headache the last two days, actually left work after lunch yesterday cuz I couldn't think straight, can hardly walk straight, stupid tired. I've been slowly making changes to my diet and lifestyle over the last few years, but this is the most drastic thing I've ever done, for sure. I started in hopes of more energy, better sleep, clearer skin, and fewer headaches (I wouldn't say I get them often, but I do get them), among other reasons. Here's hopin'!

Today I made my own mayo (I don't think it turned out), turkey meatloaf (strange, but good), and ketchup. It was fun!

I too attempted the homemade mayo today.  I had it going just fine and then even though I was drizzling slowly, it failed.  I spent a lot of time reading on how to fix it and so I'll try here in just a bit.  I haven't done the ketchup but that would be nice too.

Obviously I am not planning very well because it is 4:30 and I don't know what is for dinner yet.  Any suggestions?  I have ground turkey, sweet potatoes, peppers, onions, kale, spinach, cilantro, eggs,  brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, plenty of oils/fats, etc.  What should I make???

You're right. I will try to embrace the fat! I did try making mayo today and it just don't come together properly, so now I have a really tasty avocado oil dressing! I'll try it again this week.

how did you make your mayo-fail into avocado oil dressing?

Hello!! I started september 2nd! This is my 2nd whole30, I did my first in April and have been eating mostly paleo ever since. Sugar started crawling back into my diet and no matter how many times I said to myself "this week I won't eat sugar" or "today I won't eat sugar" it didn't last for long. So far I am enjoying the structure of the program and I am better prepared than last time. My fridge is full of compliant options and my freezer is full of grass-fed beef and organic pork which I didn't have last time. It's not easy to find those options here in México so I am hoping this whole30 will be even better than the first.

My goals are to gain a better control of the sugar cravings, to defeat the sugar dragon once and for all, to discover if pistachos disagree with me and to find the energy and motivation to do High Intensity intervals exercises every day. It's only about 20 minutes a day but I simply can not start.

Have a successful Whole30 everyone!

Oh, an about the mayo, I do the 2 minute mayo where you just dump everything in the cup from the stick blender and blend away. Always keep the blender in the bottom bringing it up less than half an inch and sideways if needed to bring down most of the oil. Works every time! My recipe is one whole egg (cold works just fine), one tablespoon lime or lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard and 1 cup (or 1 1/4) light tasting Oliver oil. I like that one better than the extra light. This recipe is very simple but it is the one My SO and I like the most. I make it at least once a week, but usually twice a week.

I was having a hard time finding something for dinner then I found this guy's recipe collection.  The Ground Turkey, Cabbage, and Onions with Walnuts is AMAZING!.  

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/07/ground-turkey-cabbage-and-onions-with-walnuts/

He has a whole library of recipes that I'll be dabbling thru now that I know where they are.  

Oh, an about the mayo, I do the 2 minute mayo where you just dump everything in the cup from the stick blender and blend away. Always keep the blender in the bottom bringing it up less than half an inch and sideways if needed to bring down most of the oil. Works every time! My recipe is one whole egg (cold works just fine), one tablespoon lime or lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard and 1 cup (or 1 1/4) light tasting Oliver oil. I like that one better than the extra light. This recipe is very simple but it is the one My SO and I like the most. I make it at least once a week, but usually twice a week.

Do you think this method would work with the magic bullet?  I used my blender with the warm ingredients and drizzling the oil very slowly, but it failed.  I might (MIGHT) have saved it with mixing it into an additional egg yolk.  I'll know later or tomorrow when it thickens.  Maybe my egg was too small.  Just curious about your dump method.  

I have been feeling heavy on my runs this week. I'm not pushing it too hard, though. I think it will pass. I've been forcing myself to eat post workout ....I really don't love hard boiled eggs but they are a really easy option. I hoping that in time I will recover more quickly and gain some strength. For now, I just get it done...If I couldn't leave the house and run I might lose my marbles. My 3 year and 18 month old sons have recently decided to constantly wrestle each other. The younger one weighs as much as the older so it can be pretty funny (and a little tense)!

Baby shower fun on Saturday will provide a little test for me. I've made it through these things before so I know I'll be fine but I have to mentally prepare....ha!

For those of you ready to try some new recipes, the Well Fed cookbook really is great. My little family gobbled up the Chocolate Chili...it was fantastic even though I was hesitant to make it...Happy Thursday!

your workouts/runs are likely to be difficult over the first couple of weeks - it does get easier!!

try and go for lean protein and starchy carbs (like sweet potato) post WO to help with recovery and refuelling, and have the HB egg (protein and fat) before hand.

Day five feelin' alive! About to head out to a fitness class in a few.

Beach Heather, welcome and Happy Birthday! I saw a post on Facebook the other night about natural electrolyte replenishing drinks, if I come across it I will post it.

Cargy, glad things are getting better! I have no set plans here, but then I like to live in the moment!

Mountain woman, Welcome! Me and my mom are in this together, I wished I could live with her for the month, but my husband might start to miss me.

Becfreeby, welcome! I always have heavy limbs, but they are a lot ligter than theu used to be!

Farmgirl, that chocolate chili sounds so weird! Would like to see your wrestling show, sounds funny.

Jessica, welcome! You have the best name ;) Hope things get better quickly, nothing worse than a long headache. Read this article, maybe it will help.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/natural-headache-remedies/

LauraP, first you need to get some real meat, lol. (j/k) I would make a stir-fry with cauli,broc,onion,peppers, brussel sprouts, and a turkey burger. Bonus if you have coconut aminos, they are the shiz!

Keep up the good work guys!

Hi All!

I started my Whole30 journey on September 1 as well so I'm on Day 4.  Right now, I'm craving chocolate covered peanuts like you wouldn't believe.  I've tried everything to break the craving (except take a nap - I'm at work!) and nothing seems to be working.  I was getting to the point where I wanted to break down and just quit but I started reading and decided I should keep going.  Hoping the cravings get a little less intense soon.  I'm miserable here!

I did read the Whole30 Timeline that outlines possible feelings a person may have during the program.  At 1:00am this morning, I woke up and could NOT fall back asleep.  I definitely was experiencing the KILL ALL THE THINGS phase.  That's lessened a bit as the days gone on, but holy moly...

Make sure you are drinking enough water.  If you didn't try that - drink water to help you with the cravings.  Just a thought.

Archived