Looking for a buddy for the August Whole30

Cassie M

I'm feeling physically good and mentally sharp, but I'm a ball of stress for work-related reasons and not getting enough sleep. So glad I didn't try to navigate these piranha-infested waters without good nutrition though, and grateful for the stash of homecooked food I've been keeping at work. Today was the first day I really struggled with cravings, not coincidentally it's also the day I finally accepted that I can't stay in my job. I allowed myself to make a small treat of coconut oil and mesquite flour, which got me over the hump. Debating whether that is Whole 30 compliant (not that the ingredients are bad, just the concept of a treat) but I'm not letting it derail me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Can I join your thread? I started the whole 30 completely on my own and could use some encouragement. I'm a single mom of 3 boys and they are about 60% paleo. Anyway I live south of ATL in Henry Co. And have only lived here a couple years. New to all of this. I'm hoping to join the X fit down here soon. I'm recovering from a back injury and am getting antsy to "really" exercise! Whole30 is going ok but I think I've made some unknown errors. Like switching to almond milk in my coffee, duh it was sweetened. And I had tea with honey in it last night. But the rest is ok so far.

I was so desperate with cravings yesterday and cooked some frozen berries with coconut milk..it was SO tart and unpleasant.It totally took away the cravings.

Bone broth turned out really well and I had that for breakfast.It was a great way to start the day and I recommend that everyone get some bones and make some.It's a great big warm hug in a bowl!

Cassie - I understand the reluctance to stop counting calories. Giving up the scale and counting calories or logging food was incredibly difficult for my first Whole30. After years of yo-yo diets I can quote from memory the calorie content of a zillion different foods. It took forever for me to stop counting in my head. I did it instinctively without even trying to because it's what I always did. That part of my first Whole30 was a big fail, but I did stay food compliant. Post Whole30, I eased up on my food restrictions and ended up gaining a bit. Then I worried about it and tried to "be good". Then I turned around and binged. It was a viscious cycle for at least a month. I gained 15 lbs from this before I decided enough was enough and put away the scale. I kept exercising and stopped obsessing about my food. It was a great summer, and I maintained my weight. But now I am back to refocus and get back to eating well every day. Somewhere along the way I learned to accept my body with all its imperfections. Getting stronger at the gym helped a ton. And I don't worry about the scale anymore. I took it out of the house for this Whole30 and honestly don't plan to bring it back. I just don't see how it will benefit me.

Have a great time at the cabin. Jealous!!

Don't take a food scale with you either. If there is 3 ounces of chicken or 4 ounces of chicken on your plate, does it really matter? Eat 5 or 6 instead. You can do this! ;)

Thanks for the pep talk jhmomi. Just to clarify -- I'm not weighing myself (like you, I've learned that the number on the scale matters much less than my measurements and it only makes me feel terrible!) and I am just using MFP to keep track of how much and what I eat every day ... it's just that some days my calorie count is much lower than average and I wonder if I should be concerned.

I made it through the long weekend, anyway!

Omg. I have to start over!!!! Arrrgh! Yesterday I spent about 10 hours away from home and was not prepared. I was starving and running late for my class and the first thing I saw where I thought I could get a decent piece of chicken was Zaxbys. MISTAKE!!!! I've actually never eaten there before, (bad choice #2 when on Whole30) And now I know why. Holy Crapoly! I think I started having cramps about 10 min after I eat the chicken breast and still do.

Well at least now I have an intimate understanding of what this does to your body! LOL. So I guess that's a positive way to look at it. Holy Moly.

Any suggestions for being away from home that long and in your car all day?? Same thing will happen next week. There's Farm burger and Yeah Burger in ATL, but I'll be in Marietta and Johns Creek.

Anyone know if Ted's Montana Grill has an ok Bison burger?

I'm starting over again today too, I got caught out in the same way. Away from home longer than I thought and I didn't have anything on hand so I ended up eating a piece of raisin toast.....argh I was so bloated and felt terrible after.

Archived