Prior to doing my first Whole30, I did not consider myself addicted to sugar.  In fact, I did not think I had a sugar dragon to slay.  Well...I'm on day 22 and I'm beginning to think otherwise.  

My pre-Whole30 life did NOT consist of desserts on a regular basis, an abundance of fruit, soda or other sugary drinks, etc. I preferred salty snacks to sugary ones.  Overall, I would say I was a pretty healthy eater...no processed foods in the house, meat, lots of veggies, farm fresh eggs, etc.

During the Whole30, I have not had sugar cravings and have not indulged in tons of fruit (had an occasional apple with almond butter).  As I begin thinking about life after Whole30, I find myself perusing Pinterest in search of paleo treats.  I'm thinking about rules that I'm going to create for myself, i.e. paleo dessert one day a week or on a special occasion,  All the while, having an out of body experience, looking at this person (myself), thinking "this is not me...you don't want these desserts"!!!  And, I should mention that part is true.  At this moment, I do not want the treats I'm bookmarking for later.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?  Could I have a sugar dragon that hasn't really reared his head during Whole 30, but is trying to come on full force after Whole30 (perhaps because that's when sweets will be allowed)?  Suggestions for curbing this after Day30?

Thanks!

Maybe it's less of a Sugar Dragon effect (since you don't actually crave the paleo treats) and more of a 'treat myself / I deserve this' or rebelious voice that is looking forward to celebrating not being told what to do anymore?  Or simply setting up new rules for yourself that give structure to day 31 and beyond?

Is there something else you can focus on to gift yourself on day 31?  Even for healthy eaters the whole30 is not easy, and takes up a lot of mental and emotional space.  Now that you're on Day 22 maybe your just in planning mode, so are 'planning' for phase 2?

Maybe look for pins feature your re-intros? Clever things with dairy... interesting non gluten grains?  Just a thought!

Archived