Karen's Whole 30 Sept 8 to Oct 7

cortner1195

I bought myself a new pair of running shoes! Yea, first week gift.

B one chicken sausage, one egg, sweet potato hash browns, salad

L taco meat, salad, salsa, 1/2 avocado, nuts, 1/2apple

S larabar

D grilled chicken breast, green beans, roasted sweet potato, chili lime mayo, homemade ghee with a couple of shrimp to try the ghee.

Day 9 compete. It has been the hardest day since #3. My first and last attempt at eating out during my whole 30. So embarrassing. Mike says that he won't even do a whole 30 if it is going to be this hard. I know how to ask a server for special dietary needs. But this was awful. I will pack my food from now on. No more caught out watching others eat.

B one sausage, one egg, 1/2 small sweet potato, stir fried zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes. Cooked in ghee.

S macadamia nuts

L taco salad with 1/2 avocado, salsa

1/2 Lara bar

D spaghetti squash with homemade marinara, one fresh chicken sausage on the grill, brocoli slaw with 1/4 Apple, and 3 died cherries, homemade dressing with mayo and vinegar.

B breakfast sausage, one egg, sweet potato hashbrowns, salad new yummy dressing I made for lunch. Mayo with fig balsalmic dressing

Post run (packed) roast sweet potato cubes, leftover meat

Lunch (packed) salad with 1/2 avocado left over meat, tomato, nuts

Emergency snack (packed) nuts amd or lara bar, soda water

There will ne no repeats of yesterday

Day 10 is complete. I did not need the lara bar.

D almond crust chicken tenders with spaghetti squash, and homemade marinara, brocoli slaw with apple.

Ran 55 min today. Much better than last weekend. New running shoes arrive tomorrow. I hope my energy in workouts picks up in the next 10 days. I would like to feel stronger in my 10k Sept 28th.

Plan for the day:

Usual breakfast of sweet potato hash browns, breakfast sausage, scrambled egg, and salad.

L salad with leftover meat, dressing, 1/2 avocado, nuts, grapes

D damn fine chicken with cauli mash, and roasted veggies (turnip, rutabaga, parsnip, and carrots)

Chef Karen:

Started homemade sriracha fermenting (sweetened with one date)

homemade ketchup in the crock pot sweetened with dates

will roast a huge pile of veggies for future use with sweet potatoes

can tomatoes, dehydrate tomatoes.  

I didn't get the roasted veggies done. I did get dinner started for tomorrow. And the tomatoes are taken care of. No more rotting on the counter.

Day 11 complete. I was very happy to have some back up meat cooked in the freezer. I planned to make the damn fine chiclen. I brined the chicken early, but missed the marinade step. It is in the marinade now, and I will cook it in the morning. I made a double batch, so I will freeze some.

Just finishing day 12.  Yea!  Getting very close to half way.

Day 30 may be on track, plus a glass of wine.  I met a good friend tonight at a coffee place that I have always wanted to go to.  It turns out they serve tap beer that are all three beers that we would travel to enjoy, plus an extensive wine list, and a very nice looking menu.  I had black coffee.  Yum!  It is a place I would go back to.

B sausage, sweet potato hash browns, one egg, and salad, 1/2 avocado.  This is a normal breakfast for me.  I last well on it to lunch even if something happens.  I had cut out the avocado feeling that the cooking fat was enough.  I had been getting hungry before lunch. So back went the avocado.  It went better today.

L salad with turkey lunch meat, 1/2 avocado, salad dressing.  nuts

D damn fine chicken, garlic cauli mash, broccoli slaw with apple

I made homemade mayo tonight as we are leaving town tomorrow.  I remembered at the last minute to not scrape the mayo blender clean.  I scraped out part of it, and then added almond oil, sherry vinegar, and curry spice.  Blended and my salad dressing is made with the residual mayo.  Blender scraped out!  So smart.  I like when the date on my salad dressing (with mayo) is the same date of mayo as what I am eating.  

I think that I am eating too much.  I am not hungry.  I don't think I have a handle on how much fat to eat.  If I cook with it, and/or make my salad dressing with it, I don't think I should add avocado, or nuts to the meal.  Just not sure.

B one chicken sausage, 1/2 sweet potato hash browns, one egg scrambled, salad with dressing, 1/2 avocado

L salad with sliced turkey, 1/2 avocado, dressing, cauli hummus, raw snap peas and carrots, nuts

Pre workout lara bar -on my way to run, got held up at Mike's prerace meeting, and never got to leave.  

D chicken drumsticks, mashed cauli, carrot and broccoli saute, watermelon

I normally don't count cooking fat - I don't use a lot generally, and most is left in the pan.

I use mayo based salad dressings that "stick", because I think oil/vinegar tends to slide off. Mayo is tastier anyway :) I count the salad dressing....

Fwiw, I don't think your fat sounds excessive!

I normally don't count cooking fat - I don't use a lot generally, and most is left in the pan.

I use mayo based salad dressings that "stick", because I think oil/vinegar tends to slide off. Mayo is tastier anyway :) I count the salad dressing....

Fwiw, I don't think your fat sounds excessive!

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback.  I am used to not using much in the way of salad dressing.  My average use is about one tablespoon, and over half of that is vinegar.  I have had a lot of fun playing with salad dressing this summer.   

You are doing awesome!

Thank you!

Day 15 complete!!!!!  Half Way!!!!!!!!!

B bacon!  one egg, sweet potato hashbrowns, salad

L tuna with mayo, lettuce, 1/2 apple, nuts

S Larabar

D confetti "rice" (cauliflower), pina colada chicken.   Fantastic!!!  From www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

Tomorrow is my first day back to work.  12 weeks off.  I am not looking forward to tomorrow.  However my food is prepared.  

Day 16. My weight is frozen in place, and not really feeling all the good things that should be expected by now. I keep reading all these things about looser clothes, feeling super energetic etc. I have felt very much like the kid at Christmas that didn't get a gift. Then today I get up for my first day back to work. It was a pretty stressful time. I have been gone 12 weeks. My boss was fired, all my jobs were taken away. Lots of changes. I got to eat my breakfast at noon, and lunch in the car at 4pm. Work went ok, but there is lots of tension in the air. New boss, many new employees, lots of new rules.

And now, here I am in the car, and remarkably calm. Peaceful. Happy. I feel organized and in control. Wow! This is a nice feeling. For me the best part of the whole30 has been the staying power between meals, I am not "hangry". As a matter of fact, I was hungry at noon, but not horribly. I did have a Lara bar with me. I ate that at 10:30, and it really helped. I hope this is the start of something wonderful!

Running is a release for me. It is a chance to leave the day, chores, resposibilities behind and head out on my own for some quiet time. Yes, even music is quiet time. My thoughts can run too. No phone, no work, just me and the beauty that GOD made of this day. I really have to remember sometimes to pick my head up and appreciate what is right in front of me. I can feel that my head is up, and I am noticing the beauty today. I am thankful. I am really hoping my ability to run comes back to me. I miss it like a lost best friend.

Just me rambling......

day 16 food

10:30 Lara bar

12:10 one egg, one chicken sausage, sweet potato hashbrowns, salad with dressing, and 1/2 avocado

4:00 salad with chicken, and mayo based dressing, mac nuts

8:00 left over cauli rice, veggies, leftover carrots, broccoli, zuchini, butternut squash baked fries. 

S watermelon

Hi Karen -

If your days are long, perhaps consider having 4 planned meals - make them proper template meals though and not a larabar or fruit.

Try to fuel your exercise properly too - fat and protein is the recommended preWO, then lean protein and starchy vegie carbs post. This may help with the energy during runs

Without the Lara bar I would have gotten nothing to eat until noon.  I was super happy I had it stashed in my purse.  I had food packed, but we weren't allowed a bread to eat until noon.  I left home at 5:15.  That is too early for me to eat.  I always eat fruit after a full meal so I don't turn toward that sugar.  

Thanks

Without the Lara bar I would have gotten nothing to eat until noon. I was super happy I had it stashed in my purse. I had food packed, but we weren't allowed a bread to eat until noon. I left home at 5:15. That is too early for me to eat. I always eat fruit after a full meal so I don't turn toward that sugar.

Thanks

515 isn't too early to eat, if that's when you're up and starting your day! Could you even have something small like an egg muffin? You could prep them in advance and grab one as you head out the door...

Day 20 through airports, flying, and Vegas, still on track. Went to whole foods to big compliant foods.

Day 21, I roasted sweet potatoes, and carrots for post workout snack. Now I need a meat to go with. Went shopping at the outlet mall, drove the strip, and hit whole foods again. Came back and cooked two hamburger patties, discovered that I will have to go back to the store for dinner food to take on the plane tomorrow. We don't land until after 8.

B bacon, egg, sweet potato hashbrowns, salad, 1/2 avocado

L salad with shrimp, dressing, carrot sticks, and mac nuts

Planned:

Preworkout: meat and 1/2 avocado

Post wo: sweet potato cubes, ground beef patty

Live the plan

Day 25 

B chicken sausage, one egg, diced roasted sweet potato.  Couldn't eat my salad -driving

S at break- finished my salad

L asian meatballs, cauli rice, nuts

Preworkout- chicken tenders, a few bites of avocado

D right after workout.  acorn squash stuffed with ground pork, bacon, onion, apple, and spices.  

Feeling not good, but great!!!!  physically and mentally calm, and happy.  I returned to my old workout class today.  Starting over, but the aches and pains tonight feel wonderful.  

Plan to run tomorrow, and another class on Friday.  Either a run, or class on Saturday, long run on Sunday.  I love a good plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Previous post is not mine! Crazy....

I completed my whole 30! I had some tough moments on day 31, but have been back on track since. My plan is to continue on eating this way except for a few key meals. I would really like a slice of pizza. Not just any slice, but only the pizza worth having. I suppose I should move thismover to the post whole 30 section.

Archived