Starting Sept 16

Acp

Day 2 a success! And already had a challenge - went to the movies and was tempted by the popcorn but I just got a bottle of water (had a big meal 3 before the movies of pork loin sautéed in ghee and cauliflower mash) and my hubby was good and only for a drink to keep from tempting me.

How are we all doing ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was great for me! Tomorrow I'm going to start my exercise regiment again... P90X and Insanity! I think because I didn't wait too long in between, and was already on day 19 before, I've gotten the energy quicker! Thank goodness!

Breakfast: pork chop with a fried egg in olive oil, small sweet potato with salt and pepper, and a fruit salad of oranges, kiwi, grapes, banana, and almonds

Lunch: hard boiled egg, cauliflower and carrots with guacamole, and mixed berries with coconut flakes

Dinner: pork chop, small sweet potato, baked eggplant in olive oil, and cashews

Tomorrow I'm going to make some meatballs for the whole family, and my own tomato sauce! If anyone has suggestions on what kind of meatballs to make, please let me know! I want to make them in the crockpot, but can't seem to find a recipe that doesn't include some sort of flour or bread crumbs. Unless I bake them... 

Today was great for me! Tomorrow I'm going to start my exercise regiment again... P90X and Insanity! I think because I didn't wait too long in between, and was already on day 19 before, I've gotten the energy quicker! Thank goodness!

Breakfast: pork chop with a fried egg in olive oil, small sweet potato with salt and pepper, and a fruit salad of oranges, kiwi, grapes, banana, and almonds

Lunch: hard boiled egg, cauliflower and carrots with guacamole, and mixed berries with coconut flakes

Tomorrow I'm going to make some meatballs for the whole family, and my own tomato sauce! If anyone has suggestions on what kind of meatballs to make, please let me know! I want to make them in the crockpot, but can't seem to find a recipe that doesn't include some sort of flour or bread crumbs. Unless I bake them...

I would really suggest increasing your protein when you have eggs - one egg isn't sufficient!! A serve of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand, that's likely 3-4.

Your breakfast also sounds light in vegies - try to include 2-3 cups per meal. Fruit isn't discouraged, but should push vegies off the plate - a piece of fruit, or a fist sized portion of fruit salad with a meal is fine.

You could use nut meal/flour or coconut flour to replace breadcrumbs, or just leave it out. I've made hamburgers and meat balls without and they've worked fine!

I have made these meatballs and they were delicious but did bake them

http://paleoparents.com/2013/guest-post-simone-ginger-scallion-pork-meatballs/

I would really suggest increasing your protein when you have eggs - one egg isn't sufficient!! A serve of eggs is as many as you can hold in your hand, that's likely 3-4.

Your breakfast also sounds light in vegies - try to include 2-3 cups per meal. Fruit isn't discouraged, but should push vegies off the plate - a piece of fruit, or a fist sized portion of fruit salad with a meal is fine.

You could use nut meal/flour or coconut flour to replace breadcrumbs, or just leave it out. I've made hamburgers and meat balls without and they've worked fine!

I normally saute a bunch of spinach or kale, peppers, zucchini, carrots, broccoli... anything I can for meals. And the lunch was a mini meal, because I wasn't extremely hungry again, but need something so I'm not feeling starved 2 hours before dinner. I'm going to start cutting back on the fruit as well. i know that's supposed to be limited! Thanks for the advice for sure!

I honestly didn't know I should be eating more eggs. The most I've had is 2, but I feel if I make more, then I will be stuffed or I won't eat them all. Maybe I'll just cut the fruit out altogether then and make more eggs. 

How do you find the P90X and Insanity? I had to lay off my exercise for a few months as I injured my hip running so just properly getting back into it now. I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred 30 times a week and 30 minutes on the elliptical/cross-trainer 2 times a week.

DAY 3! So, this morning was the first time I had a PreWO snack and PostWO meal. I feel like I'm eating way too much but I guess it's all part of mealplanning in Whole30. Here's the meal plan for today.

PreWO - 1 egg fried in 1tsp ghee

PostWO - sweet potato hash with pork mince with spinach

Meal 1 - 1-2 hard boiled eggs, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and cashew nuts w/ coconut, blueberries, strawberries (I may not eat this all as it looks like a TON of food).

Meal 2 - pork tenderloin with cauliflower mash and salad

Meal 3 - beef bolognese with zucchini noodles

So far, feeling good this morning after my workout. I'm getting a bit hungry now but wonder if I should wait until after my 9am-10am meeting. Although, I did have my PostWO meal at about 7:15am this morning. I'll play around with timings and see how I feel.

Hope you all have a great day 3!

I've got a wedding to go to on Day 26 - i've got 24 more days to figure out how to eat clean that day! 

My husband, 2 yr old daughter and I are headed to an all-inclusive holiday in Majorca, Spain on Day 25. Should be a challenge! :)

Amberino, I meant to ask you, what if I'm just not feeling hungry, and I have 2 eggs with some veggies and some sort of fat... would that be bad? Like... as if it was a mini meal instead of a full meal?

A lot of times where I should eat lunch, I just am not overly hungry, but need something before 2 pm so I can eat dinner with my family around 6 or 630 pm. I eat breakfast around 10 am, then I'll have a mini meal around 2 pm, and my dinner around 6 or 630. I only wait so long to eat breakfast because I'm just not hungry. Let me know if I need to change something please! 

Karyna, I normally don't do pre and post workout meals. If I absolutely need to, because I worked out for 2 hours straight or something, and am feeling a little dizzy, then I'll have some nuts or a sweet potato, or even an apple, just so it'll spike my energy a bit.

Sounds like you're doing great though! 

Insanity and P90X... it's through Beachbody. However, they can be quite expensive through the actually website, so I would look on craigslist or eBay. Unless you want to buy through them, I can set you up with a coach you can talk to about it. They're FANTASTIC programs to do at home. My 7 yr old has done some with me, just for fun and loves it. And my 8 month old is mesmerized lol So it's something that's easy to do with kids as well.

Amberino, I meant to ask you, what if I'm just not feeling hungry, and I have 2 eggs with some veggies and some sort of fat... would that be bad? Like... as if it was a mini meal instead of a full meal?

A lot of times where I should eat lunch, I just am not overly hungry, but need something before 2 pm so I can eat dinner with my family around 6 or 630 pm. I eat breakfast around 10 am, then I'll have a mini meal around 2 pm, and my dinner around 6 or 630. I only wait so long to eat breakfast because I'm just not hungry. Let me know if I need to change something please!

I would start by eating breakfast earlier, within an hour of waking like is described in the program. You may not be used to eating, or you may not feel hungry, but "something" will help your body adjust hormonally and you may find that over time you'll develop natural hunger and a bigger appetite first thing.

Perhaps make a full sized meal one, eat as much as you can within the hour, then the rest at your current "breakfast" timeslot?

I'd also suggest having the pre and postWO meals too - you need them for refuelling and recovery!! Perhaps try exercising first thing - on an empty stomach if you want - then having a postWO meal of protein and starchy vegies. You may find the exercise makes you hungry - you could then have meal one at your normal 10am time

I would start by eating breakfast earlier, within an hour of waking like is described in the program. You may not be used to eating, or you may not feel hungry, but "something" will help your body adjust hormonally and you may find that over time you'll develop natural hunger and a bigger appetite first thing.

Perhaps make a full sized meal one, eat as much as you can within the hour, then the rest at your current "breakfast" timeslot?

I'd also suggest having the pre and postWO meals too - you need them for refuelling and recovery!! Perhaps try exercising first thing - on an empty stomach if you want - then having a postWO meal of protein and starchy vegies. You may find the exercise makes you hungry - you could then have meal one at your normal 10am time

Thank you for the advice! I will try that tomorrow. 

Day 3 I think was pretty good!

Meal1: 2 hardboiled eggs, sauteed broccoli, kale, carrots, cabbage, peppers, and zucchini in coconut oil, olive oil and vinegar dressing. and NO FRUIT! lol

Meal2: 1/2 banana, handful of cashews, pork chop with sauteed spinach and peppers, hot sauce

Meal3: homemade meatballs (mixed with egg, paprika, parsley, cumin, salt, and pepper), baked eggplant, kale, peppers, zucchini, garlic, olive oil and vinegar dressing

I think I did good staying away from the fruit today! How was everyone elses day 3?

Hi Everyone- 

My day three went pretty well but like some others, I'm finding it really hard not to snack.  I don't think it's just because I'm used to snacking- I get really hungry and can actually hear my stomach rumbling.

Anyway- here is my day 3, comments and advice welcome

M1, 7am: Chicken sausage, tomato, onion and zucchini. Raspberries

Snack, 9am: Lara bar (ok, this one was because I was in a coffee shop and wanted a treat)

M2, 12:30: Chicken salad w/ sundried tomatoes, basil and olive oil on a bed of lettuce, handful of almonds, raspberries (I was starving when I ate)

M3, 5pm: This is very early for me but I was just so hungry, yet again. Kenyan beef and kale stir fry, small avocado, small dish of sauerkraut, small apple

Snack, 9pm: Handful of cashews and dates

Hi Everyone-

My day three went pretty well but like some others, I'm finding it really hard not to snack. I don't think it's just because I'm used to snacking- I get really hungry and can actually hear my stomach rumbling.

Anyway- here is my day 3, comments and advice welcome

M1, 7am: Chicken sausage, tomato, onion and zucchini. Raspberries

Snack, 9am: Lara bar (ok, this one was because I was in a coffee shop and wanted a treat)

M2, 12:30: Chicken salad w/ sundried tomatoes, basil and olive oil on a bed of lettuce, handful of almonds, raspberries (I was starving when I ate)

M3, 5pm: This is very early for me but I was just so hungry, yet again. Kenyan beef and kale stir fry, small avocado, small dish of sauerkraut, small apple

Snack, 9pm: Handful of cashews and dates

If you're hungry, you need to increase your meal portions. Protein and fats are going to keep you satisfied longer - your breakfast especially sounds small and low in fat. Many people notice that a big breakfast will set them up for less hunger throughout the day, even later on between meal 2 and 3.

I'd increase portions to meet the upper limit of the template for a day or two and see how you go. 2 palms of protein, 2 serves of fat, and 2-3 cups of vegies at every meal.

If you still feel hungry (actually hungry, not just wanting to eat for the sake of it - ask yourself if you'd eat plain steamed fish and broccoli), go for a proper mini meal of protein, fats and vegies.

So I forced myself to eat some breakfast... hardboiled egg, cashews, and some leftover baked veggies (eggplant, zucchini, peppers, kale) It was a very small portion, about 1/2 cup... and I honestly feel kind of sick, like I just stuffed my face. And now it's my normal time to eat breakfast, and I'm not hungry in the slightest. And just think about food makes me full lol 

Should I try to eat a little bit of something again? Or just wait?

Amberino- thanks for the advice.  It's very hard for me to get away from the idea that I should be eating small meals throughout the day since that's what I've done for years but I will try doubling up on the protein/fat  at meals and see if it helps.

Ashley- it's hard for me to advise since I have the opposite problem of being hungry all the time!  My instinct is to say that if you managed to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up, you shouldn't eat again until you feel that you are really hungry.  

How is everyone doing on Day 4?

I woke up with another headache this morning at 6am, so I decided to give the Jillian Michaels workout a rest today. Unfortunately, I was unable to have breakfast until almost three hours after waking, because I normally am not too hungry when I wake up that early. But, this morning, I found that I was feeling hungry at about 7-7:30 which was odd for me. I will definitely eat an hour within waking up tomorrow!

M1 - 2-egg frittata with spinach, mushroom, pepper and a side of strawberries

M2 - beef bolognese with zucchini noodles and a banana

M3 - coconut chicken with sweet potato fries

I had an americano this morning with coconut milk and surprisingly, I was able to stomach it. Also, after my lunch today, I felt pangs of the munchies but after drinking some water or distracting myself, I realised I wasn't actually hungry until about 4:15 (over 4 hours after eating lunch) where I had a small handful of cashews which has left me satisfied until dinner which I will be having shortly.

Overall, a good day.

Day 4 has been pretty good! Tried to eat my breakfast within the hour of waking up (ate around 7 am), and I barely ate anything but felt sick afterwards and like I had stuffed my face. And then I wasn't hungry until 1 pm, 

M1: hardboiled egg, cashews, and some leftover baked veggies (about 1/2 cup: eggplant, zucchini, peppers, kale)

M2: leftover meatballs, and the rest of the baked veggies (1/2 cups), small fruit salad with kiwi, strawberries, and almonds

M3: I had a little bit of my meal already... almonds and a hardboiled egg. Then in a few hours, we are eating at my parents house. They are making spaghetti, but I have another hardboiled egg, small pork chop, spinach and kale salad with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, peppers, and avocado. I'll use hot sauce for the pork chop and olive oil and raspberry blush vinegar, garlic for the salad. I don't know if I'll be able to eat all of it, but I wanted enough food over there so I'm not still hungry afterwards and end up eating some spaghetti!

Also got my 1 hour core workout in!

Hi everyone!

Day 5 is starting without a headache so yay! And I had my first 'food dream' - I dreamed that I ate a piece of banana bread, and in the dream, I felt so guilty and I got mad at myself and my husband for letting me eat it! It felt so real!

This morning, I will be working out to the likes of Jillian Michaels and headed to another temptation test - my daughter's toddler playgroup where a cup of tea and a biscuit were the highlights of my week before. Today, I plan to bring my own Arbonne herbal tea and say no to the biscuit! Another temptation today is the field trip that my daughter and I are taking to the farm - I plan on bringing my own lunch and saying no to any of the food sold there. That is the plan.

So, meal plan for today:

PreWO snack - leftover coconut chicken

PostWO meal - 1 egg, 1/2 burger (compliant as no sugar, no grains, no preservatives), sweet potato

M1 - 1 egg, 1/2 burger, sweet potato, lettuce, tomato and if still hungry, cashews, coconut, blueberries, almond milk

M2 - leftover coconut chicken, sweet potato fries, steamed broccoli, banana

M3 - Beef and Kale sauteed in ghee

Good luck to you all on Day 5!

Day 4 actually went pretty well for me- especially after I saw Amberino's advice in the morning to try to up my protein/fat servings at meals:

M1 8:45am: 3 eggs scrambled with chopped green beans, avocado slices

M2 1:15: SweetGreen Salad (romaine, spinach, beets, broccoli, carrot, cucumber, shrimp, avocado, lime vinaigrette).  I realized as I was eating that this was just not enough food (probably fat) for my lunch but I was headed to a meeting so couldn't get anything else

Snack 3pm: meeting over so I found a small salad with ham, turkey, and a quarter of an egg and a good olive oil vinaigrette

M3 8pm: Meatball soup, baked sweet potato with salsa 

I think Day 4 made me realize that I do need to eat a significant amount of fat/protein along with my veggies or I'm just going to get hungry.  It's going to be a bit of a struggle to do though, since it's pretty much the opposite of everything I've been told about nutrition.

Ashley- do you think that if you ate something different in the morning you might not feel so sick?  What if you just had half a cup of coconut milk with some sliced fruit.

Karyna- your plan for the day is great idea.  Good luck!

How was everyone's Day 6? Weekends are normally difficult for me as they are normally when I let myself indulge and being at home I end up just snacking. But today was super successful as there was no snacking, although I did delay Meal1 until about 3 hrs after waking. I just wasn't hungry.

M1 - scrambled eggs, bacon (not cured with sugar but has nitrates :s) and kale sautéed with ghee

M2 - organic free range beef burger (whole30 compliant), bacon and egg fried in ghee with sweet potato chips and lettuce

M3 - organic free range beef, steamed broccoli, sweet potato chips and a banana

I had to find dried fruit today without sulfites as I accidentally had a small amount of dried mango dried with sulphur dioxide. Oops. Do I need to start completely over?

Tomorrow is a new day...

My husband took us all out to lunch today, and I did my best to stay compliant, but now I feel headachy and tired. I'm wondering what it could've been...

I asked for the chicken fajitas, without the tortillas or cheese and sour cream... just the chicken, veggies, pico de gallo, and guacamole. Then I asked for a side salad, with no cheese or croutons... mixed everything together and it tasted delicious! Just using guacamole, pice de gallo, and lime juice as the dressing. I felt really good right afterwards, up until about 15 minutes after eating.

Archived