What does "a week's worth of vegetables" look like at your house?

1Maryann

I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up just a couple of things--2 bunches of kale, one bunch of collards, a stalk of brussels sprouts, 4 avocados, 5 zucchini (must.have.zoodles), a 3 pack of romaine.  Mind you I already have cabbage, and carrots, and onions and spinach and tomatoes at home.  And I'll probably need more before the week is up.  Just realized I have no broccoli.

I can't wait for my garden to come in.

I live in a small 500 square foot apartment. I have a teeny tiny kitchen and an appropriately sized teeny tiny fridge. Not sure of the exact dimensions, but it's probably 30" wide and about 5 feet tall (I'm 5'9" and it's even with the middle of my neck). I went shopping for all my groceries for the week yesterday, and was literally cramming food into it. Today I'm doing my prepping and have cleared up a bit of space, but it's still pretty full.

I've got a head of cauliflower

a head of cabbage

2 lbs. green beans

4 lbs. carrots

1.5 lbs. fresh spinach

1 bunch kale

4 small sweet potatoes

2 bundles of green onions

1 very small napa cabbage

a bag of mung bean sprouts

a 3-pack of romaine hearts

3 lbs. onions

3 small leeks

1/2 a large bag of broccoli from costco, not sure how many pounds it is.

and 3 avocados

plus all the thawing meat, eggs, jarred olives and pickles, kombucha, fish sauce, coconut aminos, compliant mustard, and other condiments on the door...that sucker is pretty dang full.

We are a family of 5 (2 adults on Whole 30, 1 teenager and 2 kids on a whole foods but not Whole 30 diet) and one average week of fruits and vegetables for us is:

10 avocados

10 yams

1 head of green cabbage

1 head of purple cabbage

7-10 zucchinis

4 heads of lettuce

2 lbs baby carrots

1 bunch regular carrots

2 acorn squash

4 lbs beets

3 lbs mushrooms

2 onions

2 bunches green onions

14 peppers

3 cucumbers

2 pints grape tomatoes

1 handful jalapeno peppers

2 large tomatoes

1 head of cauliflower

2 pounds broccoli

1 melon

2 pints strawberries

25 apples

14 bananas

28 kiwis

It takes up so much space that we are having a second fridge put in our kitchen tomorrow. I'm super excited!

Archived