Business trip for 4.5 days

Laura B

Hi all!

Tomorrow I am leaving the Atlanta area to head to Amelia Island, FL for a business trip (about a 6 hour drive). I just started my W30 a week ago and I am feeling great. I was somewhat apprehensive to start last week because of the trip, but I didn't want to give myself an excuse to put it off. I wanted to share with you all what I have planned and welcome any suggestions (although it will be a bit last minute!)

What I am going to do is pack a cooler with the foods I have on hand using freezer bags of ice to keep things cool. My hotel room does not have a fridge, so when the ice melts I plan to fill them with the ice at the hotel to keep everything cold.

For proteins I have: 18 boiled eggs, frozen shrimp, canned tuna. I left the eggs in the shell because I think it will help them last longer. Of course I will keep them as cool as I can, but does this really make a difference (keeping the shell on)?

Fats: wholly guacamole 100 cal packs (I have them frozen right now. This is the same idea I have for the frozen cooked shrimp--they can thaw some in the cooler and last a bit longer!), macadamia nuts, coconut oil (not sure if I will pack this, though.)

Veggies: Huge bag of cut up cucumbers from the garden, 2 sliced red bell peppers, a big container of baby spinach, broccoli slaw, cherry tomatoes, carrots. I also have a few packs of baby food in sweet potato and squash since I don't think that will travel well.

Fruits: I have a couple of plums, strawberries cut up in a tupperware and some apples to bring along. I did get some banana baby food for an emergency.

I am most concerned for the veggies to stay fresh. I hope my cooler system works.

If the cooler fails, it will be alright because the company will pay for my meals--I just want to stick with as much of MY food as possible.

I also have a pack of paper plates, disposable silverware and dish soap that I am bringing plus a flexible cutting board and a cheap knife just in case. The canned fish I have is in a pop top can so no can opener needed.

I hope this would be helpful to others, and please offer any tips you might have for me!

Be careful with getting ice from Quick Trip gas stations. Their ice is so cold that it will literally freeze/ruin your food.

Don't forget salt/pepper. You can put coconut oil and ghee in empty baby food jars.

We carry Applegate Farms Roast beef and prosciutto, as well as a couple of Larabars.

Hi Laura,

I am an avid hiker. Before I started my whole 30, I would pack my own food to bring up to the mountains. Not eating out in restaurants meant I could take overnight or weekend trips more often. :)

Your cooler will work fine, even cheap styrofoam coolers insulate well. Most will keep food cold for well over a day in moderate temps without changing the ice...providing of couse you use sufficient ice. Put your shrimp, eggs, and so forth closest to the ice, then layer your fruit/veggies on top. This will keep the more delicate fruit from getting frozen spots. Be sure to keep the cooler in the passenger compartment of the car where it will be cooled by your AC and not in the trunk, and keep it out of direct sunlight if at all possible.

I also carry my George Foreman grill and a long extension cord with me on overnight treks. I will bring fish and or meats that won't create much smoke (tuna or bison, for example, which I enjoy cooked very rare). I cook these up in the bathroom with the fan on. Or, if I am staying in a room with a patio, balcony, or door in to the parking lot (old-style motel), I cook my meal right outside my room....hence the reason for the extension cord. Personally I avoid oily or gamey meats out of courtesy to the hotel and their guests...I avoid cooking anything that would oder behind. Some hotels have VERY strict rules about not cooking (or burning incense, etc.) in one's room. I have never had a problem but roadside motels in the mountains are a bit more laid back than business-class hotels near corporate centers...be sure to read all the fine print in the agreement for your stay should you ever elect to go this route.

I have a "grab bag" that I pack along with the food that contain some plastic dishes, silverware or plastic ware, a sharp knife (I bought a folding penknife that I use just for cutting food) my favorite seasonings, napkins/paper towels, and a ziplock bag with a sponge and a small bottle of dish detergent for cleaning the grill and dishes. I try to keep the grab bag with me in the car at all times, that way I can be a bit more flexible with eating when on the road. By having a sharp knife, silverware, and dishes at the ready, you can find some options at a local grocery store (say, a rotisserie chicken) that are almost sure to be healthier than the drive thru and cheaper than a decent restaurant.

Thats probably way more information than you wanted...sorry for the brain dump :D

Have a great trip!

Thank you both for the helpful information! I did not think of packing my cooler that way, will definitely be helpful since I was a little nervous about my spinach getting frozen.

I have a couple of Larabars I will bring with me, and will grab some salt and pepper packs at a gas station!

Hi Laura,

I am an avid hiker. Before I started my whole 30, I would pack my own food to bring up to the mountains. Not eating out in restaurants meant I could take overnight or weekend trips more often. :)

Your cooler will work fine, even cheap styrofoam coolers insulate well. Most will keep food cold for well over a day in moderate temps without changing the ice...providing of couse you use sufficient ice. Put your shrimp, eggs, and so forth closest to the ice, then layer your fruit/veggies on top. This will keep the more delicate fruit from getting frozen spots. Be sure to keep the cooler in the passenger compartment of the car where it will be cooled by your AC and not in the trunk, and keep it out of direct sunlight if at all possible.

I also carry my George Foreman grill and a long extension cord with me on overnight treks. I will bring fish and or meats that won't create much smoke (tuna or bison, for example, which I enjoy cooked very rare). I cook these up in the bathroom with the fan on. Or, if I am staying in a room with a patio, balcony, or door in to the parking lot (old-style motel), I cook my meal right outside my room....hence the reason for the extension cord. Personally I avoid oily or gamey meats out of courtesy to the hotel and their guests...I avoid cooking anything that would oder behind. Some hotels have VERY strict rules about not cooking (or burning incense, etc.) in one's room. I have never had a problem but roadside motels in the mountains are a bit more laid back than business-class hotels near corporate centers...be sure to read all the fine print in the agreement for your stay should you ever elect to go this route.

I have a "grab bag" that I pack along with the food that contain some plastic dishes, silverware or plastic ware, a sharp knife (I bought a folding penknife that I use just for cutting food) my favorite seasonings, napkins/paper towels, and a ziplock bag with a sponge and a small bottle of dish detergent for cleaning the grill and dishes. I try to keep the grab bag with me in the car at all times, that way I can be a bit more flexible with eating when on the road. By having a sharp knife, silverware, and dishes at the ready, you can find some options at a local grocery store (say, a rotisserie chicken) that are almost sure to be healthier than the drive thru and cheaper than a decent restaurant.

Thats probably way more information than you wanted...sorry for the brain dump :D

Have a great trip!

Great advice! I woke up this morning thinking about the cooler in the trunk and was going to post!

Last fall we were in a hotel room for two months. I had a multi use grill-cooker-crockpot appliance, and often cooked in the room with the window open. For me, the worst part of cooking in hotel rooms is cleaning up! We too have a "kit" with our silverware, spices, cooking tools, etc. and another one with our coffeemaker, etc. When we ate in restaurants all the time, I traveled light, lol. But now we pretty much bring our kitchen and pantry with us.

Archived