Weight loss on Whole30 / Paleo lifestyle

Milkyway

I  have some general questions, based on our experience, about weight loss while eating mostly Whole 30/Paleo.

So, I lost 3.5 kg (7.5 lbs) on the W30, despite snacking way more than I intended and eating way more nuts,  my husband lost about 7 kg (15.5 lbs). My BMI went from 26.5 to 25.3, my husbands from 28 to 25.8, so we had some weight to lose but not terribly much. Actually I'm on the lower end of my ‘normal' weight now, only about 2 kg away from my lowest weight since I was a teenager.

We're on day 10 of reintro, but we only had one day of gluten and one day of dairy so far, eating compliant the rest of the time and we're both still losing weight (0.5 kg for me, 1.5 kg for my husband).

So my questions are:

Do most people who mostly stick to Paleo/Whole30 and the meal template (and don't binge on paleo-sweeteners or nuts) lose weight?

Does ‘everyone' (of course there will be exceptions) who eats like this become ‘lean' over time?

When does the weight loss typically stop?

Will it naturally stop at the point that is ‘right' for the person's body or do people have to consciously eat more to stop losing?

While I wouldn't mind losing some more kgs, my husband is a more ‘stocky' type and his face is slowly starting to look emaciated, but he's telling me he's not hungry.

If you are eating enough I do believe you should eventually even out to where your body is naturally happiest. Sometimes we don't feel hungry when we should because our hormone balances are off so it is possible that your husband is not hungry but still not eating enough. I still have quite a lot of fat to lose (I really like looking at body fat % vs. bmi because muscle matters) so I'm still losing weight but rather slowly. Are you both doing strength training to add muscle mass? Have you looked into an accurate body fat test? There are so many factors that go into weight loss and not all of them have to do with body fat sadly. People who come to this lifestyle with chronic inflammation tend to lose more weight for instance as their bodies become less inflamed.

I am on day 14 of my first whole 30, and while we're not supposed to weigh ourselves, I don't look like I've lost an ouce of weight. And yes, I am being very strict with myself. My husband is doing it with me though and says he thinks he is losing a little. I think it will just vary by person, men typically lose weight easier than women.

• 1 month later...

Today is Day 30 for me, and as of this morning I've lost 13 pounds during my Whole30! It's my main motivation to stick to this lifestyle, and not to go too crazy over Christmastime. I've actually enjoyed eating fresh veggies and fruits and finding new ways to cook lean meats, and the weight came off so easily while I ate all of this delicious food and felt increasingly AWESOME! I followed Weight Watchers so many countless times, off and on, and I think it just let me get away with too much, and it let me trick myself into thinking it was FINE to eat that way. Don't get me wrong, I lost about 50 lbs with WW, but eventually I got down under 200 lbs ,and at that point I needed more restrictive eating to make any more progress. Obviously my body is pretty jazzed about paleo and the Whole30! And so am I. I think I'm a lifer :)

Archived