Beef knuckle bones, good for broth?

Juice06870

I buy my marrow bones every week at the local farmer's market.  The man I buy them from has mentioned that now that the weather is turning colder, the bones are going to be a lot more popular (hence sold out more often on a weekly basis).  He mentioned he also carries beef knuckle bones, which have less marrow, but more cartilage.  

Has anyone tried making broth with this before?  Would it be as beneficial as broth from marrow bones?  

• 2 months later...

I also use marrow bones and just yesterday I made broth using both marrow and oxtail.  It made a very rich tasting broth.

Is there any benefit to eating the marrow and the what I think is the ligaments/tendons after the broth has been made?   I find it not bad.  I will throw it into a salad or  mix it with my scrambled eggs.

I usually use a mix of both roasted marrow bones/soup bones, and knuckle bones. I always roast my bones first, so I don't have to skim scum. The marrow is very fatty and flavorful and many people eat it, it's even served in upscale restaurants. When you make bone broth with knuckle bones that still have the cartilage cap and/or cuts with lots of connective tissue like oxtail, you extract the gelatin and collagen from the connective tissue along with the minerals from the bones. This results in a highly nutritious supplement-worthy stock that serves almost as a multi-vitamin as well as supporting joint health and promoting healthy skin, hair, and nails.

Archived