T2 Diabetes, Low Thyroid, and High Blood Pressure

ksk

I just started doing Whole 30 Monday.  I have been on and off paleo for the last few years and tend to stick to vlc paleo after reading Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and it works to lower my blood sugar.  Since I have been off plan for a while my sugars are in the 200s right now and I need to get them down to normal as fast as I can.  I also have low thyroid and take Nature-throid.  I'm not sure if being vlc has made me have the low thyroid or not.  I only starting taking meds for the low thyroid a couple of years ago. I am not eating any fruit right now and no starchy carbs.  This past summer, even though my carbs were really high, my thyroid stayed low.  I guess I just need to know if I should try some starchier carbs.  I'm also on meds for my blood pressure, which usually resolves when I eat a clean diet.

Kim

• Moderators

The Whole30 is not very low carb at all. You do not need to eliminate starchy veggies to be healthy and you will probably feel and perform better if you do eat some starchy veggies like sweet potato, parsnips, carrots, beets, etc. 

I realize the whole 30 is not low carb, it was just the way I chose to eat based on wanting to get my blood sugars down to a normal level as fast as I can, since I've already done some damage, but then there is the low thyroid thing I have going on to.

Kim

I have hashimoto's as well as Type 1 diabetes, so I'm not sure if this applies to you, but personally I've found I function much better with more starch in my diet. If you go for a brisk walk or simply keep moving after you eat something starchy, it really helps to get insulin working more efficiently. Exercise (in the presence of some insulin) translocates the glucose transporters in your muscles to the cell surface so that glucose can be taken up by the muscle cells. Insulin does this too on its own, but not nearly as efficiently.  

If I eat sweet potato and sit on my bum for a couple of hours afterwards, I need approx double the insulin dose than if I go for a short walk, or am doing housework or shopping.

So I try to eat lots of starchy veg and keep my BSL normal and steady by making sure I incorporate a bit of exercise/movement after eating it. Works for me!

P.S. I think low thyroid function actually lowers blood sugars overall because of slow insulin degradation, but poorly controlled BSL can dampen thyroid function as well - it impairs conversion of T4 to T3 but I can't find the paper that I read that in! 

Archived