Patty2

I have a FoodSaver (it stands upright on my counter - as all the advice I've received says keep it on our counter or you won't use it).  I bought it at BJs (which is like a Costco).  I love it.  I use it primarily to freeze meat after Costco runs.  I do feel like it's worth the cost. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the foodsaver (years ago) but eventually gave it away because I had stopped using it. The bags are super expensive and can be hard to get completely sealed. I ended up wasting a lot of bags & money...If you really want to buy one, check out Goodwill or Salvation Army stores.

If you're getting your side of beef directly from the butcher, it should be wrapped in butcher paper which is waxed on the inside. Your meat doesn't need to be repackaged - it will be fine for up to a year. Speaking from experience, it would cost a fortune and take a very long time to put all that meat into those relatively small bags & then vacuum seal them.

I use my FoodSaver DAILY.  But I don't use the bags.  Buy a set of wide-mouth Ball jars and a sealer.  It hooks up to the accessory hose and vacuum seals the lids on.  The best is that you can seal half an avocado and it would last for DAYS without getting brown.  My fridge is FULL of quart- and pint-sized Ball jars full of goodies.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005TN7H/

I use my FoodSaver DAILY.  But I don't use the bags.  Buy a set of wide-mouth Ball jars and a sealer.  It hooks up to the accessory hose and vacuum seals the lids on.  The best is that you can seal half an avocado and it would last for DAYS without getting brown.  My fridge is FULL of quart- and pint-sized Ball jars full of goodies.   :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005TN7H/

Oh Julie! This may have changed my life! I was thinking of getting one to save freezer space but this would expand its usage for me.

• 1 month later...

Julie - Thanks so much for the link.  I just ordered one!  I have a Food Saver and use it all the time with the bags but that gets a bit expensive for leftovers in the fridge.  Seems much more economical and better for the environment.  This will be perfect for keeping all my new dressings, mayo and sauces fresh.  I also want to use it for the Mason Jar salads!

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but figured I would say it just in case.

Ziploc actually makes something like this.

From the reviews I've read they work just as good as the really expensive ones. Can google reviews about it if your interested.  I think its on Amazon too but haven't checked

I have this and it works great.  Allthough I have nothing else to compare it too so I don't know if its lacking. 

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/VacuumFreezerSystem.aspx

Archived