Sara's Whole30 #3

Sara O.

Day 1

I've been attempting a Whole90 for awhile now and things keep happening.  Nevertheless, I've decided to commit to a Whole30 (my third one!) and then go from there.

I have two people along for the ride this time.   :D  I'm hoping we can all motivate each other to get through this!

I haven't been exercising or eating well lately and I am VERY tired.  I want to get back to the days where my memory is amazing, I have tons of energy, and my tummy is happy with me.

I have one goal for this Whole30:

-Focus on getting good sleep

--turn off my phone an hour before bed

--don't sacrifice sleep for social engagements/T.V./texting/reading/etc.

--create a comfortable place to sleep

Breakfast

-four eggs fried in clarified butter

-sweet potato with clarified butter

-camomile lemon tea

Lunch

-365 skipjack tuna

-SeaSnax wasabi go pack

-two raw carrots

-handful of pecans

-a strawberry (lol)

Dinner

-leftover chicken tenders

-boiled green beans

Very tired all day, but am going to bed at a decent hour!

Day 2

Already feel better!  Slept 9+ hours last night and my GI tract feels normal again!  No cravings as of yet...always a little scary when this happens... I suppose they'll kick in in a day or two.  Ha!  Also, I can feel the inflammation around my belly and in my fingers has already gone down (after just one day!).

Breakfast

-leftover burger

-three eggs fried in clarified butter with salt

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Was MUCH more alert and happy today!  Gotta be up early tomorrow, so we will see what that brings.  lol

Dinner

-boiled broccoli

-raw carrot

Day 3

Only got to sleep about seven hours last night.  And woke up after a weird dream...  No crazy food dreams yet though!  Can't wait to go back to bed tonight.  hahaha

Breakfast

-four eggs fried in clarified butter with salt

-green tea

Worked today, which means no eating for over nine hours.  Oy vey!  BUT with eating this way, I feel fine!  A little hungry, but never hangry or shaky.  Awesome!   :D

Lunch

-boiled green beans

-raw carrots

Could definitely tell my body is recovering.  Nearly cried in front of someone with very little provocation.

Dinner

-1/2 sashimi assortment

-Tealeaf salad (minus the dried fruit)

Day 4

Def more tired today.  Slept at least nine hours last night, but didn't want to get out of bed.  Had a few cravings today when I was making breakfast...I think from eating so late last night.  My skin already feels softer and I'm noticing changes in the shape of my face!

Breakfast

-green tea

Lunch

-burgers with garlic powder, salt, and pepper

-baby romaine with olive oil (yum!), salt, and pepper

-raw carrot

Went on a nice walk in Highland Park with the doggert and a friend.  A little stressed after finding six ticks on my dog after the walk!  (He's been on preventative medicine since I've had him and I've never found a tick on a pet before!  Ugh!)

Dinner

-leftover burger

-1/2 leftover turkey leg

-grilled asparagus with olive oil and salt

-mushrooms sautéed in clarified butter and Red Boat fish sauce

Day 5

Yay!  Day 5!!

Fell asleep fairly quickly last night.  Woke up about an hour before my alarm, but felt rested (must've slept at least eight hours).  I think the magic is kicking in already!  I did wake up in the middle of the night due to some crazy food dreams though!  And I'm def not yet to the point where I'm not craving any junk food.  My brain is still trying to justify me having sweets after this W30 is done.

Oh! and some of my joints are painful.  I hurt the joint of my big toe by wearing the wrong shoes and it's been hurting pretty bad since starting this W30.  Why does this happen?  Is it because your body is so busy healing other things, it has to put other injuries on hold?

Breakfast

-four eggs fried in clarified butter with salt

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Got reeeally tired after lunch today.  I sometimes wonder if Primal Pacs have too much sugar for me.  Also, work was really busy, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Dinner

-Wild Red canned salmon

-lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper  (OLIVE OIL IS SO GOOD BTW  KTHXBAI)

-two raw carrots

Day 6

Fell asleep quickly again last night (Awesome!), and must've slept for about nine hours.  However, I had a dream about wrecking my W30 by purposely eating ice cream.  Boo.  Though...I find these dreams helpful, because you get to experience how you would feel if you actually gave in to eating off-plan, and for me that's usually good enough to keep me on track!  Ha!

Oh and my left knee is randomly hurting.  I think I may have tweaked it in the night.  /:  But my toe is feeling better!  lol

I can't believe it's not even been a week and my skin is already clearer and smoother, and my sleep is SO much better!  AND the inflammation around my middle has gone down drastically!

Breakfast

-jewel yam with clarified butter

-green tea

Lunch

-ground beef cooked in coconut milk with lime and a bunch of awesome seasonings

-acorn squash

-lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Dinner

-cod breaded with almond flour, coconut flakes, and salt, fried in clarified butter  (omgthisissogoodgomakeitrightnao)

-boiled broccoli

-raw carrot

post-14631-0-14446400-1383922104_thumb.j

Today's been kinda hard.  Got a lot done, but didn't feel like doing any of it.  Just wanted to sit around and eat sweets.

Day 7

Fell asleep quickly and slept for 10+ hours!  Felt really depressed and sort of hopeless before going to bed last night, despite getting all of my chores done and creating (and enjoying!) a new recipe.  WTF, hormones??  The only other explanation I can see (besides being at the beginning of a W30), is that since the time change, it gets dark by 17:30.

Also, had another dream about sweets... this time, I dived into several bags of candy.  And my brain is trying to convince me to only do a W30 and not go on so that I can enjoy all the holiday treats this December.  smh

Oh and my toe and knee feel fine today!

Breakfast

-four eggs with salt, fried in clarified butter

-acorn squash with clarified butter

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Didn't feel terribly tired after lunch today.  Though, I did get pretty hungry as the day went on...hungrier than usual anyway.

Dinner

-left-over fish

-boiled green beans

-two raw carrots

-1/2 GT's cranberry kombucha

Day 8

Could not fall asleep last night!  My brain was racing...I was too excited to be finishing my first week of the Whole30.  All I could think about was what I'm going to do with all my extra energy and my renewed health.  lol!  Probs got about eight hours of sleep though.  (:

Breakfast

-sausage

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Dinner

-leftover ground beef with coconut milk and spices

-cauliflower with clarified butter

-boiled sugar snap peas

-1/2 GT's cranberry kombucha

Keep up the good work Sara!

This is my first Whole30. I'm on day 14. Can't believe you're doing a Whole90! That must be tough.

Your food looks awesome. How are you making sure to incorporate fat? I have a hard time with it.

mandeemus,

Thank you!  :D

I incorporate fat by using A LOT of clarified butter, some coconut oil, and fatty meats.  (;

Good luck with your Whole30!

Day 9

Slept at least eight hours last night.  I feel very happy and excited today!  I think the magic is kicking in already!

Breakfast

-sausage

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Had good energy all day today.  :D

Dinner

-leftover ground beef with coconut milk and spices

-mashed cauliflower

Day 10

Had to be up early for work, so did not get enough sleep last night...just couldn't fall asleep.  /:

Breakfast

-four eggs fried in clarified butter

-green tea

My tastes have definitely changed!  The first bite of that^ sweet potato tasted like I popped a brown sugar sugar cube in my mouth!  :blink:

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Worked a full shift today with just a 15 minute break.  /:  Got to eat a third of my Primal Pac, then had the rest when I got home.

Also, my jeans seem to be shrinking, despite me feeling that I've lost weight...

Dinner

-sashimi assortment at Plum in Shadyside

-Tealeaf salad (without the dried fruit)

Day 11

Went to bed after midnight last night, so got less than eight hours of sleep.  Hopefully, I can make it up tonight.  Feeling pretty good though.  (:

Breakfast

-two eggs fried in clarified butter with salt

-yam with clarified butter

-green tea

Lunch

-Wild Red salmon

-raw carrot

-boiled green beans

Dinner

-cod with Old Bay and almond meal fried in clarified butter

-raw carrot

-boiled broccoli

-1/2 GT's citrus kombucha

Hi Sara- Great job getting to day 11!

Reading through your log, I'm noticing you aren't following the meal template very carefully, so I want to be sure you are aware of the guidelines. The template is here: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I can certainly empathise with wanting something easy and portable for lunch, but a primal pac with sea snax is the sort of thing you should reserve for extreme situations (like when travelling). A typical day's lunch should be a 1-2 palms-worth of protein, a thumb or 2 of fat and a substantial portion of vegetables. It took me until after my second or third whole30 before I really took the veggie and protein portion thing seriously (I THOUGHT I ate a lot of veggies and enough protein, but now I eat a lot more). Getting those nutrients in (and really nourishing my body) has made a huge difference in my health, maybe it's worth a try for you?

Hi Sara- Great job getting to day 11!

Reading through your log, I'm noticing you aren't following the meal template very carefully, so I want to be sure you are aware of the guidelines. The template is here: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I can certainly empathise with wanting something easy and portable for lunch, but a primal pac with sea snax is the sort of thing you should reserve for extreme situations (like when travelling). A typical day's lunch should be a 1-2 palms-worth of protein, a thumb or 2 of fat and a substantial portion of vegetables. It took me until after my second or third whole30 before I really took the veggie and protein portion thing seriously (I THOUGHT I ate a lot of veggies and enough protein, but now I eat a lot more). Getting those nutrients in (and really nourishing my body) has made a huge difference in my health, maybe it's worth a try for you?

missmary,

Thanks!  I do struggle to get enough veggies.  I simply don't like that many.  I have discovered many new (to me) veggies since Whole30ing.  I now eat asparagus and Brussel sprouts!  :D

Also, my lunch time at work is not conducive to much but canned fish and Primal Pacs.  ):  Fortunately, this is one of the few times I eat that many nuts and fruit at once.

Day 12

Slept at least 8.5 hours last night.  Woke up a little tired, but still ready for the day.  My mood has improved drastically!  Especially considering it now gets dark here at 5:30.  I feel normal to happy 90% of the time.  The other 10% I'm angry...which I find a bit odd.  But I guess it's just my body working things out.

My belly feels and looks even smaller, and I can definitely tell I've lost weight.

Breakfast

-sausage

-sweet potato hash with clarified butter, salt, garlic powder, and pepper

-green tea

This was my first time making sweet potato hash and it turned out awesome!!

Lunch

-leftover fish

-salad with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-raw carrot

-cashews

Dinner

-tuna

-(different) salad with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder

-boiled sugar snap peas

-1/2 bottle GT's citrus kombucha

Ran around the park twice with the doggert.  And got a hair cut...seven inches off!

post-14631-0-78951100-1384180401_thumb.j

Day 13

Slept about nine hours and woke up feeling leaner...if that makes sense!  lol

Oh and woke up to SNOW!!!   :D  :D  :D   First snow of the year!!  And my puppy's first snow ever!   :blink:

Breakfast

-sausage

-yam with clarified butter

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Busy day at work today.  Had good energy for most of the day.

Dinner

-leftover fish

-salad with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-raw carrot

Day 14

Slept at least eight hours last night (woke up before my alarm).

Food cravings seem to be about 80% gone.  I had a weird, random craving for zebra cakes last night though...

Breakfast

-sweet potato hash with clarified butter, garlic, salt, and pepper

-with four eggs fried in clarified butter on top!  Oh yeah.

-green tea

Lunch

-large Primal Pac

-wasabi SeaSnax go pack

Bit of a stressful day at work as it was super busy due to the start of the holidays!

Dinner

-canned tuna with olive oil

-lettuce with olive oil, salt, and pepper

-raw carrot

Hi Sara - Congrats on keeping up the good work!

I would love to see you getting more variety, though, and more veggies in general. Sweet potato and sausage is good for breakfast but sweet potato, sausage and something GREEN! (like broccoli, or kale or spinach) would be even better. I often will stirfry cubes of already roasted sweet potates with some sausage, then add a big pile of baby kale or spinach until slightly wilted. It makes a great breakfast, with or without an egg or two poached in the mix. I usually top it off with a handful of grape tomatoes as well. yum!

I see you got a template meal in at lunch on day 12. What was different about that day? Is there any way you could make that happen more often?

Hi Sara - Congrats on keeping up the good work!

I would love to see you getting more variety, though, and more veggies in general. Sweet potato and sausage is good for breakfast but sweet potato, sausage and something GREEN! (like broccoli, or kale or spinach) would be even better. I often will stirfry cubes of already roasted sweet potates with some sausage, then add a big pile of baby kale or spinach until slightly wilted. It makes a great breakfast, with or without an egg or two poached in the mix. I usually top it off with a handful of grape tomatoes as well. yum!

I see you got a template meal in at lunch on day 12. What was different about that day? Is there any way you could make that happen more often?

Hi, missmary!

I have a strong aversion to a lot of vegetables (they just don't go down!  lol), such as tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant.  Others I love, like lettuce, carrots, green beans, peas, seaweeds, yams/sweet potatoes.

I like the idea of adding kale to my breakfast though!  I made a kale/ground beef/egg scramble a few weeks ago for breakfast that was awesome!  I'll have to try and get that in here.  (;

My day 12 lunch was different because I was off and at home.  haha  I only use Primal Pacs and SeaSnax for when I'm away from home and can't get to a compliant restaurant.

Thank you for following up with me.  It means a lot to have that kind of support.   :D

Day 15

Woke up earlyish, but felt nice and rested.  (:  Pretty sure my cravings are gone!  When I think about eating non-compliant foods, my thoughts just go straight to how I would feel after and I know that it would not be worth it.

Breakfast

-sweet potato hash with clarified butter, garlic, salt, and pepper  (I am addicted.)

-green tea

Ran the doggert around the park this morning and put a roast in the crock pot!  Successful morning.   ;)

Lunch

-canned tuna with olive oil

-butternut squash with clarified butter, salt, and cinnamon (Yum!)

-big salad with olive oil, salt, and pepper

Dinner

-crock pot roast (cooked with carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and bay leaves)

-mashed cauliflower

-raw carrot

Feeling good today, not tired or blah.  The future looks bright!   :D

Day 21

Everything was going well, until last night when the extinction burst hit.  I craved everything!  Luckily I didn't cave.  But I know, if I hadn't had two other people on this journey with me, I would have.   :(

Much better this morning, but I'm still wary...

Archived