Feeling heavy and bloated on third whole30

nutshell

This is currently day 7 on my third Whole30. I've been paleo for a little over a year now and outside of whole30's I mostly stay compliant with minimal off plan 'play food' here and there; I hardly ever eat any dairy, soy or grains and my 'play food' usually come in the form of some sugar or less than optimal oils when eating out at restaurants.

I decided to do another Whole30 to prepare before the holiday season gets underway, and reestablish some healthy habits. I'm in the process of dealing with and coming out of a not-so healthy past relationship with food, where I would constantly track calories and carbs and my weight, while freaking out about any little changes. So really this could be consider my first 'true' whole30 since previously I have still always tracked calories and weighed myself (big no nos I know!).

So far so good and I haven't slipped in any of the 'rules', rather just concentrating on eating when hungry and stopping when I'm satisfied. As silly as it might sound it's a new feeling to me to feel so satisfied after meals, and I'm definitely already feeling like I'm somewhat 'healing' my realtionship with food and my body.

However day 7 and I'm feeling so heavy and kind of bloated today...which is kind of scary and unmotivating when I've been trying so hard to make all the right choices and be kind to my body...I'm worried that I have been eating too much compared to what I would usually...

Basically I know these things can happen during the Whole30 and that I need to trust in the process, but I'm wondering if there is anyone else who may be going through a similar situtation and might be able to share some words of wisdom or advice! Thank you! :)

Thanks GF Chris,

Saturday -

Meal One - apples sauteed in ghee with coconut cream

Meal Two - two chicken sausages, some chicken breast, salad with olives, tomatoes, spinach balsamic vinegar and EVOO.

Meal Three - same as meal two

Sunday -

Meal One - one banana, two eggs fried in ghee, coconut cream

Coffee with coconut cream

Meal Two - crockpot roasted sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, organic chicken and EVOO.

Meal Three - Hot Italian chicken sausage with fire roasted bell peppers and onions in EVOO.

Half banana with coconut cream

Monday -

Meal One - one and half chicken sausages, 1/4 avocado, half banana coffee with coconut cream.

Meal Two - crockpot roasted sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips, organic chicken and EVOO.

Hmm... looking back I've been recycling meals a lot these last few days :rolleyes:

The recycling isn't a problem.

However, you want to be sure you're following the meal template at every meal: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

None of your meal 1's have vegetables.  Make sure you have at least 1-2 cups of vegetables per meal, and don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

Your meal 1 on Saturday didn't have protein. Be sure to have at least one palm-sized serving of protein per meal.

Also, be sure you're sufficiently hydrated. Aim for drinking water, at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Nutshell,

I am on Day 16 and have some similar background with diets/monitoring calories/weighing. I was freaking out a little as I have stuck to this rigidly and not weighed/counted calories/even eaten when full to help retrain my body. The aim for me was to establish a healthier relationship with healthier food (!) but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also hoping to lose a few lbs. however, today was the FIRST day I woke up not feeling bloated! So trust in the program, see it through and hopefully those symptoms will work themselves out. Best of luck!

Thanks Amberetta, that's helpful to know! I'm inclined to think the bloat could be from my body learning to deal with more veggies and meats that I am feeding it now, especially carby ones like sweet potatoes which I used to eat infrequently, and having three full meals a day. The bloat is all in my stomach too! So hopefully it will work itself out soon once everything's adjusted.

Archived