Sunflower Oil/ Trader Joe's Sparkling Water

sugacracka

No, sunflower oil is not approved. The only seed/vegetable oil that is allowed is canola oil for purposes of dining out.

Trader Joe's sparkling water should be OK, but you have to check the ingredients. The one that I am familiar with is OK, even the flavored ones. You need to check for added sugars and other non compliant ingredients.

• Moderators

Sunflower oil is a bad choice for cooking, but is acceptable as an ingredient in foods. There are many different seed/vegetable oils on the market and only a few of them are forbidden during a Whole30 - peanut oil and soybean oil. We don't forbid all of them even though they are a poor choice for cooking because that would make in almost impossible for anyone to eat in a restaurant during their Whole30. 

We generally do not okay specific brands because vendors have a bad habit of changing ingredients. We have had several occasions when a product that many people enjoyed during a Whole30 was reformulated to include off-plan ingredients. So basically, you need to check ingredient labels any time you are doing a Whole30.

Cool, thanks Tom. I didn't realize that about sunflower oil. I definitely don't cook with it, but now I can get dried cranberries! I haven't been able to find any sans sunflower oil even the ones sweetened with juice @ Whole Foods.

• 9 months later...

Archived