Eating after Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hi everyone!

I am planning on starting my first Whole30 in January and I am SO excited!  I have started collecting my recipes and reading up as much as possible.

Last May I had weight loss surgery- more specifically, the vertical sleeve gastrectomy.  For this particular surgery they removed approx.  80% of my stomach, leaving me with about a 4oz capacity.  My post op diet is very similar to the paleo guidelines, which lead me to discovering the Whole30.  I have lost 84 pounds so far and have gone from a size 24 to a 16.  However, I very much believe in clean eating and now that I have the tools that I need I am ready to take the plunge.

Here is where I need some advice and guidance, however.  Since I have a 4oz capacity, it is a struggle to get in all of my protein, vegetables, fruit, and water throughout the day.  I cannot drink 30 minutes before or after eating (ideally) and if I eat over capacity I throw up- which means I have to be very careful and listen to my hunger cues.  I have gotten very good at this!  

Vegetables can be especially hard as they fill me up very fast.  I was considering juicing 1x/day as an easy way to get my recommended servings in.  However, it sounds like that strips the fiber and and some of the nutrients out of the way.  I understand that the plan recommends 3 meals a day.  

Which would be my better option to get everything in- more meals per day or juicing?  What is some other advice and/or tips you may have?  Has anyone else had this particular surgery and been successful on Whole30?

I have attached a slightly outdated before and after pic, just 'cause I am quite proud. :)

post-37062-0-84334100-1386356056_thumb.j

You often see people writing about context in one's personal nutrition. In your context you might have to make some modifications to accommodate your physiological limitations. You might consider multiple mini-meals that follow the W30 template of protein/veggie/fat. Given the small size of your stomach I'm not sure that juicing is a good idea. I still think you need to let your body work with whole foods, not liquid. Good luck with your n=1 experiment!

Wow! Huge transformation!!

I would recommend more meals over juicing. You may need 5-6 (maybe more) meals a day to get enough food and nutrients. I would choose more calorie dense vegies - salads will be voluminous without having much energy for example. Cooking your vegies, and wilting greens, would likely make it easier for you to fit more in at one sitting.

Archived