report on my first whole30

Freeeating

What magic 30 days! My weight didn't change, that was a bit more surprising than disappointing, that is ok, I don't trust you and depend on you anymore, scale!

What went well?

1. Tried so many fabulous recipes and learned so many ways of preparing and storing food, my fridge is always full of satisfying healthy food. I will definitely continue using them as my weapon to defend against cravings!

2. I can't believe I didn't touch sugar and junk food for 30 days, before I need to lock up or throw away all the junks so I wouldn't eat them, now they don't talk back to me anymore even right in front of me.

3. Didn't live on scale, that includes food scale to count calories and weight scale to measure myself, that really set me free and make me listent to my body much more.

What could have gone better?

I was sick from a flu for almost half of these 30 days, so if I were not, the whole experience probably would be even better, that is probably the only thing I can think of…

What I will do in the future?

I actually plan to do another whole 30, starting on Monday, rather than “reintroâ€,  I want to do a reextro, I want to get rid of nuts, starchy vegetables and dried fruits to see how they affect my body, I think the main reason I didn't lose any weight might be due to the excess of nuts or just excess of eating, I am still not sure how much I should eat to feel full so I won't be tempted by the bad food.

I think the biggest lesson I learned is that, life is a long journey, it is not ONE meal on the plate that I need to calculate how much calories in it, it is not ONE number on the scale in the morning  that negates all the effort I put in the day before.

Give myself some time, enjoy my meal, enjoy the good mood, experiment and adjust, 30 days at a time!

Thank you for all your support and suggestions!

Here is my log for the past 30 days, I plan to start a new one on Monday.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/14577-new-start/

I am glad you aren't thinking this was a waste of time since you did not lose any weight!  It is so much more about lost pounds or inches.

However, what did jump out at me was that you say you had the flu for 15 of the 30 days and did not lose any weight.  Either you have no weight to really lose or you were eating more than you need to eat while you were Whole30.  It is probably a wise idea to eliminate the nuts and other 'extras' in the reintroduction phase and focus on meals.

In taking a quick peek at your log, I would suggest the following changes for round 2:

- shoot for 2-3 cups of veggies per meal

- if your goal is to lose weight, drop the bacon

- are you snacking out of habit or because you're hungry? If you're hungry (you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), try adjusting the portion sizes of your earlier meals, following the meal template. If you do that and still feel hungry in between, have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. Avoid having snacks of just fruit or just nuts. 

Chris,

thank you for the suggestion, I will try to do better on snacking and vegetables in round 2, I don't get the bacon problem, it is sugar free version, is it because it is too fat???

Thanks

Lucy

In taking a quick peek at your log, I would suggest the following changes for round 2:

- shoot for 2-3 cups of veggies per meal

- if your goal is to lose weight, drop the bacon

- are you snacking out of habit or because you're hungry? If you're hungry (you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), try adjusting the portion sizes of your earlier meals, following the meal template. If you do that and still feel hungry in between, have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. Avoid having snacks of just fruit or just nuts. 

Your meals confuse me - you eat a mountain of fat (5 egg yolks and nuts for a meal?), protein and extremely limited vegetables. you are also exercising but not refuelling or giving your body the nutrients for recovery after your workouts. whilst you're eating healthy foods, IMO you aren't eating healthily.

I would suggest cutting the nuts and dried fruit, and sticking to other fat options and fresh produce, with fruit in appropriate porions. try to stick to the template like chris has suggested with at least 2-3 cups of vegies per meal. you mention not knowing how much to eat to feel full - could this perhaps be because you're lacking nutrients and your body is still sending you signals to find them?

Chris,

thank you for the suggestion, I will try to do better on snacking and vegetables in round 2, I don't get the bacon problem, it is sugar free version, is it because it is too fat???

Thanks

Lucy

Yes. The guidance is to use bacon as more of a condiment. It's not a quality protein source: it's closer to a fat source.

Archived