Husband with anxiety issues and major weight loss

ErinL

My husband was put on meds last week to help deal with his anxiety issues and his not being able to sleep. In the course of all the appts. we finally got him on a scale and last Weds. he weighed in at 159 pounds. He normally goes 175-180. So, we are set to start the Whole30 on Jan. 2., but now I have some concerns. He needs to gain the weight back. He is 6'4", so 159 is scary skinny. Our GP put him on a 14 day course of Prilosec to settle his stomach and give the other meds a chance to work so that he would hopefully regain his appetite. It does seem to be helping. My question is, should he still do the Whole30 with me, or just concentrate on gaining the weight back? By following the template, will he be able to take in enough calories to gain weight? 

What would be your husband's goal in doing a Whole30?  Is it more about eating healthier food more often? Losing or gaining weight on a Whole30 is less about the amount of calories you're taking in and more about the types/amounts of foods you're eating.

Has your husband lost weight because he hasn't been eating/had an appetite?  The good thing with a Whole30 is that he'll be having at least 3 meals a day.

You might find this recent article interesting on maintaining (vs. losing) weight during a Whole30. http://www.whole9life.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

His main goal was to be supporting me. We eat a whole foods diet now for the most part, so doing a Whole30 will involve some tweaking, but no real major shifts. His not eating was due to a loss of appetite. I just want to make sure that he will at least be able to maintain his weight and possibly gain some.  Thanks for the article. I'll read it after my next laundry load switch!

I have anxiety issues as well and I found that when I cut grains and sugars my anxiety has almost disappeared. My doctor wanted to put me on meds but I refused and just learned to deal with it by going for a fast paced walk, doing yoga, playing with my dogs or I would take a nice long hot shower and just stand there til' the water ran cold, taking deep breaths.

Archived