Vian's Whole30 #2

Vian

I'm planning to start officially on the 1st. I'm going to try and keep a daily log and take pictures of my meals. My goals for this whole30 are to slay the sugar dragon, get control of my hunger, and eat more vegetables with breakfast/have more variety with breakfast.

Lastnight I set some raw almonds to soak, then this morning blended them in the blender with fresh water to make almond milk for my coffee.

After church today, I came home and ate lunch (leftover salmon and broccoli with hollandaise sauce) and started prepping.

I made 2 lbs. breakfast sausage from scratch, formed it into 2 oz. patties, and froze them. The "tester patty" I cooked and ate was very tasty.

·         2 lbs. ground pork

·         2 tsp. salt

·         1 ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper

·         2 tsp. dried sage

·         2 tsp. dried thyme

·         ½ tsp. nutmeg

·         ½ tsp. cayenne pepper

Then I made a double batch of my Pork Siu Mai Meatballs  formed them into balls and froze them.

Right now I've got a spatchcocked herbed chicken roasting in the oven on a wire rack over a 9x13 pan of carrots, onions, potatoes (using them up before I start my w30) and brussels sprouts.

After dinner, I am going to strain and portion out the bone broth I've had simmering for 24 hours into 1 cup portions to freeze, then prep the pot roast that will be going into the crock pot in the morning to cook all day while I'm at work.

Since I'll have wednesday off from work, I'll probably do a little more prepping, like make greek lamb patties to freeze,  and plan my menu for next week. I'm so ready to get started!

I feel like I did decently today. I was hungrier than I expected and started to get a headache mid-afternoon. Not sure why. It's too early for carb flu. It could have been less caffeine than usual, but I don't think that's it either because I had my morning coffee like normal, and don't usually have any soda until I get home from work at 5:30. It could have just been hunger though. 

M1: Egg Foo Young and BP coffee with a couple tablespoons coconut oil, some home-made almond milk, and some coconut milk, and about half a cup of blackberries with about a 1/4 cup coconut milk on them.

M2: Mixing bowl salad with pan-seared chicken breast, kalamata olives, and home-made dressing of red wine vinegar, avocado oil, compliant mustard, and salt and pepper. Had a small handful of raw almonds too.

M3: Pork Siu Mai Meatballs and Spicy Garlic Green Beans and Carrots and a glass home-brewed kombucha

I got my kitchen all cleaned up after the disaster I made of it the last two days, made about 2 1/2 cups ghee, and made fresh fruit fly cultures for my poison dart frogs, so I feel fairly accomplished today :D

Did well today. I was a little foggy and slow today at work, but part of that was the computers fault because it was really slow and I couldn't get a good rhythm. I wasn't tempted at all by the chocolates and cookies in the break room though!

Getting a bit of a headache now at 9pm and kind of hungry...really tired of being hungry all the time!

M1: 1 small crock pot sweet potato with a pinch of Himalayan salt and a spoonful of ghee, 4 oz. home-made breakfast sausage crumbled up and sauteed with kale and ghee, BP coffee

Snack: 1/4 of an apple and HB egg

M2: Leftovers from dinner lastnight

M3: Lamb and beef mixed with dill, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a dash of Red Boat fish sauce, lemon juice, and a little avocado oil formed into patties and pan fried. A mixing-bowl salad with kalamata olives, cucumbers, and dressing made with red wine vinegar, lemon juice, avocado oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mustard and dill. Cup of kombucha.

DSCN2625_zpsaecfa0de.jpg

Felt kind of groggy this morning and had a very mild, subtle headache most of the morning. I was a bit cranky too, but that could have been PMS, or having to do something really crappy and frustrating at work just as easily as the "kill all the things" phase.

On the bright side, my breakfast kept me satiated all the way to lunch. About 15 minutes before lunch I started to get really hungry.

M1: one egg, 4 oz. home made breakfast sausage, 1 small sweet potato with ghee

M2: Leftovers from lastnight's dinner, plus HB egg and half an apple.

M3: Apricot chicken with spinach and roasted butternut squash. Glass of kombucha.

Had a headache almost all day. It's still persisting this evening. Spent most of the day planning meals for the week and then shopping for them all. Not getting the "kill all the things" today either, but definately getting carb flu.

M1: 3 eggs, 1 piece of sausage, sweet potato

M2: The apricot chicken I made lastnight was absolutely disgusting today, so I made some tuna salad instead with compliant canned tuna, home-made mayo, some diced celery, and diced pickle

M3: Chicken korma with chicken thighs and some roasted carrots and cauliflower

Headache all day today. Hope it stops soon cause this is annoying. It feels sort of like eye strain, and if I hold my head still and look at the same thing it goes away, but if I move my head and eyes a lot, it flairs up right behind my eyes. Also, of course the week that I plan 2 recipes that require lots of thai basil, the asian market is out of thai basil until friday! On top of that, costco was out of the cage free eggs I normally buy, but they at least should have some tomorrow.

M1: Egg foo young and a side of blackberries with coconut milk and some BP coffee

M2: Leftover chicken korma, half an apple with almond butter

M3: Flank steak fajitas (flank steak, onion, bell pepper) with home-made spice rub in romaine lettuce "tortillas" and guacamole (avocado, red onion, jalapeno, lime). Kombucha

Slept kind of terrible lastnight and didn't want to get out of bed. Also had a kink in my neck and a headache behind my left eye all morning. I took some ibuprofen and that took care of it and the headache hasn't come back. Hope I'm past the carb flu phase. 

M1: 3 sausage patties, sauteed kale, small sweet potato, BP coffee

M2: Leftover fajitas, half an apple

M3: Egg Foo Young and chop suey (onions, celery, bean sprouts, green onions gently wilted with a sauce of chicken stock and coconut aminos thickened with arrowroot powder)

No headache today! woo! And I had the best coffee of my life this morning. I got some better quality coffee on saturday and lastnight I made some "creamer" which was basically putting the home-made almond milk, coconut milk, and coconut oil I've already been using in my coffee all together and boiling it to emulsify everything. I added a vanilla bean to it while it simmered too. This morning I added it to my coffee and blended it with the hand blender and it was SOOOO GOOD!

M1: 3 sausage patties, chop suey, handful of blackberries, BP coffee

M2: leftover egg foo young, half an apple

m3: Pork Siu Mai meatballs and spicy garlic green beans and carrots, kombucha

I'm having no luck with stews or roasts. I made a stew tonight and it was just not satisfying at all. I'm not sure what I'm missing. My breakfast didn't hold me, so I was hungry at 11 and ravenous by lunch time. I ate my lunch and then felt really uncomfortably full and sleepy. 

M1: 3 eggs, sweet potato, BP coffee

M2: leftovers, half an apple

M3: Beef stew, sweet potato with pecans

The stew was much better after sitting in the fridge all night. Still waking up tired and not wanting to get out of bed. I made it to lunch without starving because I ate a huge breakfast, so I guess that's what it takes. However, I ate my normal sized lunch and was once again over-full and sleepy. So apparently I need a huge breakfast and a small lunch, and a mid-sized dinner.

M1: 2 sausage patties, 2 eggs, a bunch of sauteed kale, bp coffee, blackberries with coconut milk

M2: leftover stew

M3: 5 chicken legs, sauteed sugar snap peas, HB egg, half an apple

Did alright today. Was craving sweets after dinner, but I just ate a scoop of coconut cream out of the fridge >.> I need to make another batch of kombucha soon, too.

M1: 2 sausage patties, 2 eggs, sauteed kale, BP coffee, blackberries with coconut cream

M2: leftover chicken legs and sugar snap peas, half an apple

M3: Thai Basil Chicken (chicken, bell peppers, bok choy, sweet onion with a sauce of coconut aminos, fish sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and a bunch of thai basil), scoop of coconut milk

I stayed up way too late friday night hanging out with a friend (midnight) and woke up late and had to force myself out of bed. I got my menu together and shopping list and went and did that, and spent about $50 more on food than I wanted to - oops! Oh well, much of it is stuff that will carry over into next week (like a package of chicken breasts, a huge jar of olives, and I'm making another double batch of my pork siu mai meatballs because I'm in love with them right now). Triumph of the day, I picked up a pizza at costco for my friend who's coming over again tonight and didn't cave even though I really wanted some - it smelled so good!!!

M1: 3 eggs, sauteed sugar snap peas, BP coffee

M2: Lefotver thai basil chicken

Snack: HB egg, couple bites of apple while I was chopping them up to make applesauce

M3: Eastern European Hotplate (ground beef browned with onions and garlic, seasoned with salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, and marjoram with sauteed cabbage) La Croix raspberry sparkling water, blackberries with coconut cream.

Got a lot of prep done today, but not everything I wanted to do. I made zucchini noodles for the first time! I had been skeptical of them because I thought the zucchini would get soggy and mushy, but they turned out amazing! Time consuming, but very tasty.

M1: 3 eggs, sweet potato with ghee, coconut oil and cinnamon, BP coffee

M2: leftovers

M3: Chicken thighs with zucchini noodles and basil walnut pesto

DSCN2627_zps1e703ffa.jpg

Today went pretty well. Breakfast kept me going until about noon when I started to get really hungry. My lunch break is at 12:30. I ate too much at lunch again though. I always feel SO FULL and bloated after lunch and tired. Then I started to get a headache mid-afternoon, the kind I get when I either haven't had enough water or caffeine. Since I'm already past the coke zero withdrawls, I'm sure it was because I was dehydrated. I was doing a job today that is pretty fast paced and busy, so I didn't take enough water breaks throughout the day I guess.

M1: 3 eggs, 1 breakfast sausage patty, handful of kale, all cooked in ghee

M2: leftover chicken thighs and zucchini noodles, HB egg, about 1/2 c. home-made NSA apple butter

M3: Cauliflower fried "rice" with carrots, sugar snap peas, scallions, and Char Siu pork from Well Fed

DSCN2628_zps18e38340.jpg

Feel like I'm coming down with a cold today. Had a sore throat and bleh feeling all day long. I wasn't even hungry when I went to lunch, but I ate anyway, though less than I usually do. Gonna have some tea and go to bed early.

M1: leftover cauliflower fried rice with 2 fried eggs on top, BP coffee

M2: Leftover cauliflower fried rice, 1/2 c. home made applesauce

M3: Butternut squash chili with avocado, 1/2 c. applesauce

Thanks!

Chili didn't sound good for lunch today, so I made some quick soup with bone broth I had in the freezer, grated carrots, scallions, and chopped celery with a chicken breast I diced up and pan fried at the same time I made breakfast. I hope I don't get any sicker, I'm doing everything i can to get better! 

M1: 3 eggs, 1 sausage, roasted butternut squash, BP coffee

M2: Chicken soup

M3: Chicken soup, handful of almonds, a couple dates, some applesauce, HB egg, some kalamata olives - I wasn't feeling well and just kind of grabbed a bunch of things that sounded good and called it dinner, since not a lot actually sounded good to eat, feeling a bit nauseous.

feeling better today. A bunch of girls at work are doing some kind of diet thing. The place I work pushes a program called "Ideal Protein" which is basically a low-carb AND low-fat program where you eat nothing but protein and fiber it seems. They were raving about this salad dressing at lunch and I looked at one of the packets and read the ingredients. At the top it said "Calorie free" and was water, spices, salt, and a cellulose thickener to make it creamy and semi-viscous like dressing. One of them offered some to me and I was like "No thanks, I'm good" and kept eating my chili with steak and butternut squash in it. Not even tempted by that artificial junk.

M1: 3 eggs, 1 sausage, butternut squash, BP coffee

M2: chili, home-made applesauce

M3: Salad from Chipotle with lettuce, carnitas, guac, fajita veggies, and the tomatillo green chili salsa.

Finally went ahead and bought Well Fed 2 and NomNom Paleo:Food For Humans for kindle tonight. I've spent the last couple hours flipping through them, excited to pick out some recipes to try for next week!

M1: 2 sausage patties, 3 eggs, kale, BP coffee

M2: Chipotle salad

M3: The Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat from Well Fed, roasted carrots, cauliflower, and onions

Got started this morning with a quick workout and then breakfast and putting together my menu for the week and shopping. I've got a lot to do this weekend, including making fresh kombucha cultures and prepping veggies, as well as cleaning the kitchen. I stopped at the asian market because they have the best prices on basil anywhere and I'm planning on making zoodles with walnut pesto again because it was so amazing the first time. While I was there, I found a strange little fruit that looked a lot like an overgrown clementine/mandarin orange. The skin was mottled and green in spots, not very pretty, but I was curious so I bought one. It had a thin skin that peeled easily and left very little pith on the flesh, and while it was seeded and I had to pick the seeds out, it was the most delicious orange I've ever tasted! So juicy and perfect orange flavor, sweet and tart and citrusy. I'm going to go back and get more tomorrow I think! I also found the purple-skinned white-fleshed sweet japanese sweet potatoes and plan to try them. I'm hoping they will be less sweet than the regular jewel yams, I get tired of the sweetness and taste of regular sweet potatoes.

M1: 3 scrambled eggs with salsa, bp coffee, blackberries

M2: leftover chicken and veggies, orange, a few raw almonds

M3: Pork Siu Mai Meatballs and greenbeans with carrot ribbons, 16 oz. kombucha mixed with 12 oz. la croix berry flavored sparkling water (this was so good it almost feels like cheating!) Also, a few bites of the pork carnitas I had cooking in the crock pot all day that will be dinner tomorrow - I had to make sure it was good, right?

Went running around town spending too much money with my aunt who's in town for the week and my mom. Had fun, but didn't get as much done as I wanted to. Went to the asian market and got some more of those amazing oranges, which are apparently tangerines

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with salsa, BP coffee, 3 large strawberries

M2: leftovers, tangerine

M3: Pork carnitas stuffed inside pasilla peppers and roasted, topped with salsa and guac with a side of slaw and a glass of kombucha

DSCN2635_zpsd0299781.jpg

Been busy the past couple days, forgot to log yesterday!

Day 20:

M1: sweet potato hash with leftover shredded pork, 3 eggs, and salsa, bp coffee

M3: lamb burger, salad with romaine lettuce, kalamata olives, cucumbers, and red wine vinegarette. Glass of kombucha

Today:

M1 Same as yesterday

M3: ground beef, sauteed cabbage and onions seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, and marjoram. a few strawberries.

M1: 3 eggs, pulled pork, salsa, sweet potato hash, BP coffee

M2: Leftover ground beef and cabbage, tangerine

M3: BBQ beef from Well Fed 2 with coleslaw and my own blueberry BBQ sauce with roasted sweet potato cubes, a few strawberries

Archived