Template for kids

ErinL

When you are starting this with your children, do you simply scale down the portion sizes to fit them? Since the template is based on hand size, would it make sense to use their hands? I know they can sit and eat a whole jar of olives at one sitting, but that is neither healthy nor feasible! So adding one or 2 large black olives to their meals would count as added fat for them? Do I need to take into account the DHA supplement that they take in the evening? It's a half teaspoon of fish oil each. And how do you handle snacks at school and what they eat when they are not with you? My girls spend most of every weekend with my parents. I know that my mom won't be able to manage cooking separately for them and also having to worry about what else they can eat snackwise. My dad loves his cookies, crackers, and cereal, so there are always lots of all of those there. How much good will it do for them to follow the plan 5 days a week if they are eating crap the other 2? 

Hi ErinL!

Let's start at the top and work our way through your questions:

1. I do use my kids hands as a guide, but as long as they eat sufficient amounts of what's on their plates I don't usually deny them more of anything. Kids, especially young ones, are by nature intuitive eaters.  I start them with a palm size of protein, but if they eat their veggies and want more meat I let them have it.  Likewise, there are nights when they'd rather eat the veggies and go a little lighter on protein.  

2. Don't worry about their DHA and added fat. You've got a LOT of wiggle room when it comes to fat.  Just add it to their meals as they'll eat it and don't think too hard about it.

3. Yes, it absolutely does good if they eat good food 5 days a week! Nutrition is not an all or nothing game. The more you can do to better their health, the healthier they will be in the long run.  Is it feasible for you to pack some snacks or offer to bring a meal or two when your daughter is with your parents? That might take some stress off of them (meal prep) AND help you feel more comfortable with what your daughter is eating.

Thanks! I know that what they eat at home will make a huge difference! I will send some snacks with them to my parents just to make things easier on my mom. It's just trying to get it all straight in my head before we start this journey!

I have three children that eat lunch at school every day, and we still have a large supply of snack food on hand from our last trip to the bulk store - I've decided to start the W30 by myself, but start introducing the idea to them and teach them the nutrition behind it. They're eating what I eat for dinner, and will eat the same meals on the weekends. We're also starting to talk about eating enough at meals so that you aren't hungry an hour later for a snack, and it's going surprisingly well! I'm hoping in a few months to have them on this eating life style without even realizing it!

LindsayJo:  here's what happened when I did a reset Whole30 Oct-Nov 2013, after two weeks my kids started asking me to scramble eggs for them instead of granola in the morning.  I was making a whole30 meal for all at night.  Then one eve, my 6 yr. old son announced that sugar is bad and he just doesn't feel good when he has a lot.  He decided to do a whole30 too, and his sisters eagerly agreed to as well.  Here's what I observed:

~ they were excited because it was their idea, so they kept themselves accountable.  I was simply a source of encouragement and answers if they had questions.  

~ when Grandpa took us on a hike and offered left over Halloween candy, 2 out of my 3 quickly said no, my son peered into the treat bag, debated, asked me if he could (I said it's his choice either way) and he said no for sugar makes him sick.

~ they learned that when they eat a great meal they don't need to snack all day

I didn't make them do a whole30, after the fourth day they each slowly added non-compliant foods back into their food choices.  But their awareness of how food effects them increased, and their meal habits changed.  They are, I'd say, whole30 compliant 75% of the time now and I plan to have another reset around the 11th or 12th of this month since the fall whole30 was the first I completed.  I'll invite them to join in (and my husband again too!)

We are easing our children into this way of thinking. They are typically eating our dinner, but not breakfast and lunch. We are going to phase out buying white flour and sugar. It's not that hard for us, since we make most of our food from scratch. Our cupboards are starting to look bare, and I doubt they will be replenished. I find that if I prep fruit and veggies and just leave them out, the kids go for them. They wouldn't pick them on their own, except for mandarins and apples, which are easy to grab and go. Our youngest has an allergy to dyes that really effects her, gives her occasional mild rashes and major headaches. She's learning through trial by fire that when she ingests bad food, it can have a very real negative effect on her.

Last night, my youngest made the salads and I made curry chicken soup and broiled eggplant. It was a huge hit and totally paleo. They still had small bowls of ice cream later, but we ate dates with coconut and pecans, the kids grabbed a few themselves, they are tasty treats for all ages!

Archived