Starting Jan 22- First Time For Everything Right?

CpBatchelor

Hi!!

Just wanted to go ahead and get my first post out of the way. I have been contemplating doing a Whole30 for a month or so now and I finally decided to commit to a Day 1. Jan 22, 2014 will be my Day 1- Fresh off a 5 day trip to visit friends and family in San Francisco and Napa, CA. Whole30 on Valentines Day should be interesting, thankfully my boyfriend of almost 6 years understands... Recently separated best friend who is struggling with such a major life change with a 1 year old, a different story... But I will resist the temptations of Girl Scout Cookies and sweets! :)

I was successfully able to lose over 50 pounds last year thanks to hot yoga, running, and clean eating (some paleo recipes too) and the MyFitnessPal app. Whole30 is going to be a challenge for me since I am used to counting calories and managing my fat/carb/protien intake each day. I have a huge sweet tooth so I know that there is no doubt that I will struggle with the 0 sugar but I know it will pass. Girl Scout Cookie season will no doubt provide temptation. 

So here I less than 3 weeks away from Day 1... Scoping out the boards, reading the book, and getting ready. I am a highly organized individual (nice way to say self diagnosed OCD lol) and know that I have to be organized ahead of time in order for this to work. So I am getting my elete electrolyte add in's, (I practice hot vinyasa flow yoga 4-5 times a week and actually start my RYT 200 training on 2/22 to become a part time yoga teacher), RxBar's (I currently keep a quest protein bar at my desk at work and in my car for emergencies), and checking out the "Can I have a ____?" board for the items I rely on like hot herbal teas and "breakfast foods" for breakfast. In addition to getting my Whole30 pinterest board up and ready with recipes and blogs. 

I am determined to turn 30 (later this year) in the best shape (physically and mentally) ever. I know that a Whole 30 will help me down that road. As well as hopefully help show my family who lives locally how this can help them, as they are reluctant to change. My mother has arthritis and digestive issues (Dr's are not sure what it is) and my sister is overweight with many allergies to non food items and gets shots 2 time a week as well as battling knee issues still after 2 surgeries. I know that Whole30 can help them but I want to be able to demonstrate how it can help and then be there to support them. 

So just wanted to ramble on and say HI as I am excited about my upcoming Whole30... Any tips/suggestions/recipes are welcome... :) 

I'm totally doing the same thing. :)  I'm in a group that's reading the book together and starting together (probably right about the same time you are!). In the meantime, I plowed through the book, picked up Well Fed for recipe ideas (and have several scheduled next week to try them out), perusing the boards, and just getting organized. I've even convinced my hubby to do it with me, so I'm pretty excited about that! I started cleaning up my diet yesterday so that the switch won't be quite as much of a shock. 

Oh that is awesome. It sounds like you have a great support group! :) My boyfriend is on the fence due to his job... I have the book on the kindle but am thinking about getting him a hardcopy tomorrow so that when he gets off work it will be here so he can read about it rather than listen to me be like "Oh wow... Did you know?"

I have heard good things about Well Fed, I think I will pick up a copy too as it has some great reviews... The pinterest and blog hunts can def be overwhelming for sure! 

Welcome to the W30! Doing lots of prep work will definitely pay off. I was a calorie counter as well before my W30 and I have to say it was weird at first but I have never looked back. So much less stress to just eat and listen to my body cues. 

Well Fed is a great resource for the W30 and I would also recommend Well Fed 2 (it has even more recipes and also almost all W30 approved).

Archived