Balsamic vinegar reduction sauce! WOW!

Colleen Roy

So, I picked up a couple of bottles of gourmet infused balsamic vinegars while I was in Portland, ME this weekend. I got a bottle of Espresso Balsamic Vinegar and a bottle of Blackberry Ginger Balsamic Vinegar. They suggested using the Espresso one as a marinade-I chose to make a reduction by simply heating it gently till it reduced/thickened. OH MY GOSH. Heaven drizzled across our steaks tonight. Sweet, but you got a hint of the espresso and it was SO GOOD! Thinking I will do the same thing with the Blackberry Ginger tomorrow night and serve it with chicken!

I bet you could infuse your own vinegars easily enough-will have to investigate! Nice way to end day one of our second whole30!

• 3 weeks later...

I know people also regularly talking about reducing through cooking bonebroth to make it more gelatinous,but I always wonder how people get fluids thickened or in other words how to reduce fluids?

After almost 2years I'm still a cooking noob and usually everything doesn't come out the way it's supposed to or just plainly fails. (like making mayonaise,fermenting veggies,my meat/liver sticks to the pan(though I kinda like the burned scraps and always scrape them off the pan as much as possible to eat. Which really frustrates me and after a couple of times fermenting for instance I gave up and just dont feel like making it anymore. Thats why I'm also kinda hesitant to try pickling though I'd really love the idea of various delicious homemade pickled&fermented stuff especially finding unusual experiments)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reducing balsamic vinegar with fruit--pears, strawberries, mangos, whatever--and some fresh garlic, and then mixing it with olive oil when it cools to make some amazing salad dressings. You can buy the cheaper vinegars because the fruit and garlic will add so much flavor. Super easy salad dressing that tastes way better than Western dressing off the shelf :)

• 5 years later...

I realize this was a long time ago but it was one of the first posts that came up when I searched for complaint balsamic vinegar. The reduction from Portland is not c9.pliant as it adds cane sugar. Attached picture is actually the espresso reduction and one of our favorites (we live near Portland, Maine) but we will need to find an alternative to be truly Whole 30 compliant. 

20171231_193950.jpg

Archived