Skin getting worse?

berry987

I'm on day 21 of my first whole30. One of my goals is to improve my skin. I've struggled with acne since I was 22 years old, I'm prone to rashes and I have keratosis pilaris. But in the last few days I've noticed a new rash on my side, my KP has gotten worse and my acne has stayed about the same.

I know I'm not done.yet (and I'm actually planning to do 60 days), but I'm feeling a little deflated. I'm curious about other people's experience with skin issues and whole30. Did anyone notice things got worse before they got better? On the plus side, I can tell I've lost weight (my clothes are bigger), my energy is better and my hair is not falling out anymore (I was losing a ton of hair in the months leading up to my start).

I have done several Whole-Somethings.  This is the first time I've had skin issues.  I off-roaded quite a bit over the holidays with no visible effects (except the bloating and a few extra pounds), but it wasn't until about Day 7 that I realized I had broken out in zits for the first time in years.  I am chalking it up to my system detoxing, and the poisons have to get out somehow.

Remember, depending how you were eating before, your body may have a lot of changing to do to accommodate this switch.  You have to repopulate your gut with a different ratio of bacterias than you would eating the normal American diet.  As the no-longer-useful colonies die off, they can release their own set of toxins into your system, and your skin being your largest organ can be pressed into action to help expedite things.

I would just keep going, knowing it may take a while to get your new self in balance.

Thanks Maryann! I've thought that maybe this is my body detoxing a bit...I'm hopeful that is what it is. I've eaten fairly well for the last three years or so (whole foods, limited grains and sugar, with wine and the occasional Friday night pizza and Saturday morning pancakes). My skin has improved over the last few years compared to how it was 10-15 years ago. I'm hoping this whole30/60 will clear it up even more. So I probably should stop worrying about it and focus on the process. I know my hormones are out of whack from years of starvation diets in my teens and college years and I'm sure that takes a long time to repair. It's great getting some support on this forum!

I am on day 25 and I just woke up to a rash this morning, perioral dermatitis. I have had it while pregnant before, but it is not a reoccuring problem, so I am a bit confused. I don't think it is de-tox thing since my diet was pretty whole30-ish before this too. Very confusing! The only think I can think of is that I used a face cream I rarely use last night, and maybe that is what caused it?

It's possible, jennor.  And just one new ingredient into your diet can make big changes.  Everyone on here raves about kombucha, so I decided to try it.  I have rosacea, which had been under great control from eating this way.  Just 6 ounces of kombucha later, I had the worst flair I've had in ages, and it took almost 2 months to get it back under control.  No more kombucha for me, no matter how 'healthy' and 'rejuvenating' it is for everyone else.

Archived