Doddsy's first whole30

doddsy

Hi everyone, I'm Deb, I live in North Queensland, Australia and have just finished day 1 of my whole30 :)

I have many reasons for changing my life style but the main one is my tummy problems. It's got to the point where I can't eat out! Plus my wine habit.....I seriously have to stop that once and for all!

Anyway, here's day 1

M1-  smoothie, coconut milk/almond milk, 75g mixed berries and 1/2 teaspoon spirulina. 1 nespresso (black)

M2- 2 eggs, 2 mushrooms, 1/2 zucchini, huge handful spinach all sauteed in a little olive oil. Topped with fresh parsley. 1 nespresso (black)

Snack- 2 medjool dates

M3- Large garden salad, 1 piece mackerel pan fried in coconut oil.

3km run!

hey Deb- welcome! have you looked at the meal planning template?

When you take a look, you will notice that all three meals should meet this format, and snacks (if needed ) should be a "mini-meal".  Including a palm-size portin of protein, a thumb-size portion of fat and the rest of your plate filled with vegetabes. Smoothies don't cut it--they don't meet the template, encourage overconsumption of fruit, deprive you of chewing (which is important for satiation)--and are strongly discouraged.

Also, you may want to look around the athlete forum. -lots of talk in there about setting up the right pre- and post-WO nutrition.

have a great whole30!

Hey doddsy, how did day one feel?  I second what MissMary said, I would also recommend more than two eggs at a meal (how many whole eggs can you hold in your hand?) and maybe more fat than just your cooking fat.

And, if not eggs, pick ANY protein you want for breakfast.  I just had roast beef and I loved it.  Mornings feel so decadent for me, now.

Welcome aboard!

Hi NIco, thanks for your feedback, I've realised I need more protein, once I sat back and read what I ate it hit me that I can't survive on that!

So today I'm going to eat like a king....hopefully I'll feel like one :D

I'll let you know how I go :)

Day 2

Woke up with a slight headache most probably because I didn't sleep well at all :(

That passed quickly when I got to work, 7 weeks holidays gets you a little behind!

At around 2ish I fell into a slump, I was so tired I could have had a nap...which is so unlike me!

M1 - 3 eggs, 2 mushrooms, 1/2 zucchini, Kale, huge handful spinach all sauteed with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Topped with fresh parsley. 1 nespresso (black)

M2 - Vege and chicken broth soup with a salad and some walnuts, chamomile tea

M3 - Baked Coral trout with lemons and olive oil, mashed sweet potato with ghee and a serve of broccoli and cauliflower

No exercise I was wrecked.

Day 3

Woke up feeling good, craving a coffee with milk but had the black which really doesn't compare!

Same thing happened at 2 so I grabbed a small hand of nuts and felt so much better.

M1 - 3 eggs, 2 mushrooms, 1/2 zucchini, huge handful spinach and kale all sauteed in 2 tblspns olive oil. Topped with fresh parsley. 1 nespresso (black)

M2 - smaller serve of the leftovers from dinner last night with half an avocado

Snack - Small handfull of nuts

PWO - 1 bolied egg

M3 - 1/2 cup sweet potato, 2 slices ham off the bone

M4 - Scotch fillet steak, roasted mixed veges in olive oil (sweet potato, carrot, eggplant, red capsicum, onions and mushrooms) steamed cauliflower and broccoli

Exercise - 25 minute run with sprint intervals

Day 4

M 1 - chicken and vege soup with 1/2 an avocado

Chamomoile tea

M 2 - Left over Roast vege's with a a slice of roast beef, 2 slices of ham a small piece of roast chicken breast

Snack - A slice of ham and a boiled egg

Black coffee

M3 - 5 Sweet potato wedges, 2 pieces of coconut crumbed chicken breast (cooked in coconut oil) and a large salad with olives and a few pieces of avocado

Hi GFChris,

Thanks for that. I thought it only had salt added in the curing process, just googled and realised brown sugar too :( What a pain, I just checked the pack where I bought it from....no ingredients, just the butchers name!!!!

I'll stop eating it from now on.

Hi GFChris,

Thanks for that. I thought it only had salt added in the curing process, just googled and realised brown sugar too :( What a pain, I just checked the pack where I bought it from....no ingredients, just the butchers name!!!!

I'll stop eating it from now on.

No worries - good choice for your next step.  :)

Consider delaying reintro of sugar for 30 days, so you'll have 30 consecutive sugar-free days.

Day 5 and feeling good so far :)

M1 - Chicken and vege soup with half an avocado

M2 - Large salad with olives and a couple cubes of avocado with 3 hard boiled eggs

M3 - Coconut cream  Chicken curry  with steamed broccoli, cauliflower and carrots plus 1/2 cup sweet potato

Day 6

Felt exhausted all day and am ready for bed as soon as I write this.....8:30 on a Saturday night, how sad's that!

No exercise today although I had all intentions I just couldn't physically get myself off the couch, hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.

M1 - 3 egg frittata with fresh parsley, 1/3 small sweet potato, 1/2 onion, sliced mushrooms, 1/2 zucchini and kale sauteed in olive oil. Chamomile tea.

M2 - Chicken and vege soup with 1/2 an avocado, black espresso

M3 - 3 pieces of chicken breast coated in coconut flour and cooked in coconut oil, 6 sweet potato wedges, steamed brocoli and carrots, 2 walnuts

Day 7

Didn't feel as tired as yesterday thank goodness!

PWO - 1 hard boiled egg

M 1 - chicken and vege soup

M 2 - Coconut flour coated chicken breast with a large salad, 10 olives and 1/3 avocado

M 3 - Can of tuna in oil drained then drenched in lemon and wrapped in a large lettuce leaf, closed hand of nuts

M 4 - Curry beef mince with coconut cream baked in a kabocha pumpkin, with steamed broccoli (this was divine and I made up the recipe as I went :D)

Breakfast and dinner day 7 look good. A large lettuce leaf probably doesn't constitute 1-3 cups of veggies, so make sure you're hitting that with each meal.

I really had to push this down GFChris, I'm not feeling hungry and for me that's odd, I'm usually always hungry. 

I'm thinking I should have smaller meals on days that I work out so that I fulfill the meal template exactly, what do you think?

I really had to push this down GFChris, I'm not feeling hungry and for me that's odd, I'm usually always hungry. 

I'm thinking I should have smaller meals on days that I work out so that I fulfill the meal template exactly, what do you think?

Sounds like something to play with. Try it out and see what happens.

Day 8

M 1 - Chicken and vege soup with 1/2 an avocado. Chamomile tea.

M 2 - 3 egg omelette with 1/2 onion, handful sliced mushrooms, 1/2 cup sliced roasted sweet potato, 1/2 sliced zucchini, handful of spinach and fresh parsley sauted in ghee. Black coffee.

M 3 - Roast Pork with crackling, assorted roasted veges (sweet potato, mushrooms, capsicum, eggplant, and  carrot) steamed broccoli.

I really wanted a glass of wine while cooking dinner tonight but then I thought of the first dot point I read before starting the whole30.

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Birthing a baby is hard. Losing a parent is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You've done harder things than this, and you have no excuse not to complete the program as written. It's only thirty days, and it's for the most important health cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime. "-

That paragraph is not only powerful it's also the truth, I nursed both my parents when they had cancer, I've given birth 3 times, I've lost both my parents......all 3 were crazy hard.

Drinking my coffee black is so not hard, I'm actually starting to like it.

Giving up wine is not hard, I just miss it.

Day 9

M 1 - Chicken and vege soup with avocado.

M 2 - Left over roast and veg from last night with hand of nuts. Balck coffee.

PWO - 1 boiled egg.

M 3 - Chicken and vege soup.

M 4 - Chicken breast fillet stuffed with chargrilled red capsicum, zucchini and onion baked with olive oil served with sweet potato mash.

Day 10

M 1 - Chicken and vege soup with 1/2 an avocado

M 2 - Left over dinner from last night added some steamed carrots, sugar snap peas and broccoli

M 3 - Salad with avo and olives with 1 egg and the left over curry mince from day 7

Day 11

M 1 - Chicken and vege soup with 1/2 an avo

M 2 - 3 HB eggs with salad, 75gms mixed berries and a hand of almonds

M 3 - Atlantic salmon cooked in ghee and olive oil served with steamed beans and sweet potato

Opted out of my run today, my back's sore so I'll see how it feels in the morning otherwise I'm a little over the food and really wanting the 'magic' to kick in.

Yep....I'm cranky!

Day 12

M 1 - 3 egg omelette with onion, mushrooms, red capsicum, spinach and zucchini sautéed in ghee and olive oil

black coffee

M 2 - chicken and vege soup with fresh steamed beans, 5 almonds

chamomile tea

a

mid afternoon black coffee

M 2 - scotch fillet steak pan fried in ghee and olive oil, large salad with olives and avocado, 3 small passion fruit

Day 13

M 1 - 3 hard boiled eggs with left over salad from last night (avo and olives) and black coffee

M 2 - Paleo cafe, Cairns :) Chicken meditteranean salad with olives and balsamic vinegar (they have a whole30 compliant menu which was so handy while out and about shopping for the day, I didn't have to think about what I was going to eat)

M 3 - 3 organic sausages (I picked these up in Cairns today from Jervois organic meats ....they were so good, thank god I got a few packs) assorted roasted veges in olive oil, steamed beans and cauliflower, camomile tea.

I can't believe how focused and well I feel, I had my bone both in the slow cooker all day, ready for my week ahead (I love my soup breakfasts)  I went out to a party last night and had no problems asking for a water while every one else was drinking wine. Next Saturday I've a 21st which I'd been a little worried about, now that I know I can socialize and not have alcohol as my vice I'm quite looking forward to it.

Plus I'm also keen for my weird dream tonight...last night I was telling cows off for not eating enough grass then found myself surrounded by mounds of bread and pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even eat those foods.....ever! So bizarre.

Day 14

M 1 - 3 pan fried eggs served with mushrooms, tomato and spinach all sauted in ghee

M 2 - thai green chicken curry with coconut cream carrots, onion, red capsicum and sweet potato, 2 small passion fruits

M 3 - roast lamb with roasted sweet potato, onion and carrot with steamed beans and cauliflower

Today I cleaned my house from top to bottom, worked up a huge sweat. I had all intention of jumping on the tready but was wrecked by 5pm and had a shower instead.

I stupidly forgot to pop the broth I made yesterday into the fridge last night and by this morning it was happily bubbling away, fermented and smelling putrid! We did have a steamy night so there was no saving that batch...pain in the A!

Archived