Digestive issues/queasy

I'm on Day 19 of my first Whole30. EBF 5 mo old twins. For more than a week I've had an unsettled stomach & (without going into too much detail) related issues going to the bathroom. I was nauseous all through the night last night, have no appetite today & make frequent trips to the bathroom. This seems to be opposite of what I am supposed to be experiencing. Any advice? I'd like to finish the 30 days but at this point my motivation is waning since I feel so bad.

If you are the sole source of nutrition for TWO babies, I bet your issue is that you are not eating enough.  I am still nursing/pumping for my 15 month old (nursing two to four times per day/night and pumping 15-20 ounces while working), and I have a hard time eating enough.  And, she eats food in addition to breastmilk!  I would say increase your protein and increase the starchy vegetables.  I love sweet potato wedges tossed in coconut oil and spices and then baked. 

Also, have you tried Monkey Salad?  It's cashews, coconut flakes and a banana.  I sprinkle it with cinnamon, but you could also dump coconut milk on.  It's not a complete Whole 30 meal, but it packs a good punch in terms of nutrition.  You could have it with a big salad that includes some meat protein.

When nursing, some of the guidelines have to flex a little.  I think the meal template has to be bigger and you've got to eat, eat, eat.  I get nauseaous if I don't eat enough.  As for the digestive issues, I get them, too, when I eat more low-starch veggies and green and not enough starchy veggies with them. 

Just keep eating.  I think it takes awhile for your body to adjust to Whole 30 even if you ate pretty clean before.  I finished my Whole 30 in late November, but I have pretty much kept with it since then because I like eating this way. 

Last thought -- I think a lot of the "tiger's blood" is lost on mommas who get little sleep.  My average nights are six or seven hours, which is not enough.  But, when I eat Whole 30, I can get by on that and I have tons more energy when I am not indulging in junk. 

(Pardon any spelling errors/typos, please.)

Thanks for your response. I do struggle with how much I eat as I do feel full when I eat and am trying not to snack in between. I have been eating quite a few cashews, so wasn't sure if that was contributing to my stomach issues or not. And I do eat a LOT of the greener veggies than the starchy, so maybe I'll focus on that this week. Overall, I'm not a huge vegetable lover, so that aspect of the Whole30 has been a challenge in itself. Like you, I do feel better eating this way and know I have more energy than I would eating like I used to. Just hard to manage expectations; maybe there should be an entirely separate Whole30 for breastfeeding mamas! Thanks for reaching out!

The no snacking rule doesn't apply when you are breastfeeding but do try to do protein and fat when you do (nuts are fat). Cashews I have found do make my tummy unhappy if I eat too many (sad...they are so yummy). Definitely more starchy vegetables! Try aiming for at least one starchy and one green vegetable with every meal and see if that helps at all. 

Archived