Low Glucose Levels

AmyShubi

It seems that whenever I get my glucose level taken from blood draws, my glucose is always around 66.  I emailed my doctor and she said not to be worried about having any organ diseases or diabetes because 66 is about normal for a woman that is fasting.  However, I am not fasting.  I always go to get my blood drawn after I have a full paleo breakfast with my usual eggs & sweet potato made with fat or sweet potato soup made with coconut milk and added chicken.  Then my usual day includes eating very large meals with meat, veggies, and fat.  If I have fruit, I have it right at the end of a meal.  With my work schedule, it works out to eat at 6 AM, 12 PM, and 5:30/6 PM.

My primary care doctor did recommend to me awhile back that I should try to eat every 3-4 hours, but I'm not sure if that was related to the glucose level.

I don't want to be tired and have low blood sugar... and I know whole30/paleo discourages snacking between meals, especially in these forums.  Anyone have advice?  Thanks!

I had trouble keeping my blood sugar up due to breastfeeding.  What worked for me was making sure I was getting at least one serving of fruit each day and having some kind of starchy vegetable at each meal.  When I do that I feel great!  The starchy vegetables might help regulate your glucose levels a bit more.

Thank you so much!  I will try that and see if that makes me feel better.  I just got a food processor to shred sweet potato and I am super excited!  When I am not doing a Whole30, I might add white potatoes back into my diet.  I'm not sure yet though...

I also tried beets yesterday to get some more variety, carrots and sweet potatoes might get boring after a while, lol!

Our whole family actually REALLY enjoyed them.  The beet flavor was super mild and it was very sweet.  I just wrapped it in tinfoil, baked it in the oven at 375 for about an hour (until soft), and then when it was done I squeezed some orange juice and coconut oil over the top with a generous amount of sea salt.  They were absolutely delicious and will be in our rotation from now on!

Jicama is another I'm going to try when our grocery store actually gets some in stock.  I hear they are a like a mild tasting apple, great raw like carrots sticks or in recipes!  We also eat lots of squash, butternut and spaghetti are our current favorites.  Hope it helps!  You'll have to post and let us know.

Archived