Hiking trip - meal ideas needed :)

magda

Hi :)

I'm starting my Whole30 on 1st August. I've been eating mostly primal for some time now, but I need to clean my diet even more. Anyway, during my first week I'm going on a 4-day hiking trip. I'd appreciate any suggestions of meals and snacks that are portable and won't go bad after several hours of being out of the fridge. I can think of hard boiled eggs and canned fish, and veggies of course. Anything else, so I don't have to live on eggs only for 4 days? ;)

Also, it'd be great if you could give me some suggestions as to how much carbs I should eat, since I'll be doing quite a bit of endurance during these days. I don't want to drop dead halfway to the mountain top ;) At home, my "good carb" of choice are sweet potatoes, but I don't think I'll be able to find them where we're going. Will they last 4 days if I bake them at home and take them with me? I was also thinking about beet and carrot chips as my carb sources. Would it make sense to dring coconut water mixed with "normal" water to replace my electrolytes during the long hikes?

thanks in advance for any ideas :)

I'm getting ready to do some backpaking so I've been wondering about this too. It's not easy! So far, my list includes jerky, nuts, dried fruit, canned or pouched meats (salmon, turky, tuna). I'm contemplating those pouches of organic babyfood--you can get things like sweet potato puree, no sugar added, in a foil pouch that is shelf stable--I'm not in love with the idea of eating baby food vs. making my own food, but for a backpacking trip it seems like a possibility. If you like dehydrated veggie chips, you could do sweet potato as well as carrot and beet. I might try that.

On hydration, keep in mind that what you need is not so much potassium (which is in coconut water), but actually salt! Dallas recommended watering down some juice (coconut water or some other fruit juice) and adding a little salt, but search for the post about that because he had some specifics about what kind of juice might be better and I can't remember the details...

have a great trip!

For the first few days of a hiking trip I always carry fresh apples and carrots for lunch, even if they're heavy. They don't go bad if it's not too, too hot. Jerky, nuts (salted to replace sodium), tins of sardines (but remember you have to pack out your trash...). Will you be backpacking, or do you have access to a kitchen during the hike? you could always take sweet potatoes and a peeler and knife and boil or sauté them on the trail.

Thanks for your replies

I will have access to some basic kitchen, so I will be able to boil some eggs, but not much more. I plan on taking some veggie chips, maybe baked sweet potatoes, canned fish / meat, fresh fruit, veggies and nuts. I hope I'll survive :)

• 5 months later...

I'm so glad I searched for this topic! I'm going on a crazy hiking adventure with dogs and friends this Saturday. I'm so excited to get active in January in Indiana! I'm going to use the above suggestions of hard-boiled eggs, carrots, and adding a smidge of salt to my watery coconut water. Also going to take along some pre-cooked, peeled, whole sweet potatoes. I like them cold! Can't find good jerky at the moment. Maybe from the local butcher!

Archived