My son is almost 6 months old and is exclusively breastfed. I'm on day 28 of my Whole30, and for the last few weeks I've noticed that he's been really gassy and has been pooping less regularly. Anyone else having this issue? I have to wonder if it's something in particular that I'm eating a lot of (sweet potatoes?) or just the massive increase of veggies in my diet.

I'm on day 29, and my daughter is also 6 months old and exclusively breastfed. She has started pooping less often (twice a day instead of 4+ times/day) these past few weeks, and her poops have become runnier and kind of vinegary. I was wondering if this has anything to do with my diet, maybe the massive increase in coconut or sweet potato (or maybe she just wants me to eat more sugar, haha). Her doctor says it's nothing to worry about, as long as the poops aren't black and she doesn't seem otherwise ill. Poop frequency often just naturally slows down as they get older, too.

LOTS of things can make babies gassy and/or cause a change in poops. My daughter has always had more gas and runnier poops when she's teething, so that's always what I think is going on. It might be something in your milk--especially if eating a LOT of vegetables is new for you--but as long as your baby isn't uncomfortable, you probably don't need to start eliminating things.

He does seem uncomfortable at times from the gas, but we took him to the pediatrician, and he said he's fine. About eating more vegetables - I should say that I eat a larger quantity now, but about the same variety as before. Nothing new has been introduced except maybe coconut oil... I wasn't eating much of that before. However, I'm having gallbladder problems so it's the only fat I can eat without risking an attack. I'm already having energy issues because of lack of sleep, so I am very hesitant to give up my remaining fat source!

Archived