starchy vegs necessary during pregnancy?

Hello!

I just found out (4 weeks) that I am pregnant with our second child. I was not eating paleo for our first child, and I am excited to be eating mostly whole30ish for our second.

I have a question. My sugar dragon shows up even when I eat starchy vegetables (sweet potato, butternut squash, plantains, etc), so I mostly avoid most fruit and starchy vegetables. However, I eat a lot of vegetables (a LOT), healthy fats, and protein.

Are dense carbs starchy vegetables necessary for a healthy pregnancy?

Thank you for your input and yes, I totally understand that this is not medical advice!

I am breastfeeding and found that I really needed them in order to prevent dizziness/weakness and low blood sugar symptoms.  I need to have some kind of starchy veg with almost every meal to keep me even.  You may not find that you need as much.  I am assuming it varies from person to person.

They bring out my sugar dragon sometimes too, but I have to eat them anyway!  I figure proper nutrition for myself and my nursing toddler trumps the sugar dragon at this point.  One thing to try, though, is hiding them in your meals so you don't get that "sugary punch".  Shred them and put them in omelets, egg muffins, salads; add them to soups and stews or stirfrys, etc.  When I do that they do not affect me in the same way at all.  You can also try some less sweet options like spaghetti squash or parsnips.

i second CLM, i really need them even now with my daughter still nursing(and she's almost 15 months now).  Maybe try sticking with the more "savory" starchy veggies like turnips or beets, rutabegas and celeriac...those seem to have a much lower sugar taste to me so they might not set you off.

Archived