I did it, but a little disappointed

fahrenam

So finished my 30 days yesterday.  Was amazed that it went by so quickly and that i have no desire to introduce dairy or gluten or sugar back into my diet.  I haven't had cravings in weeks and just want to keep eating what I'm eating

However, my results were not great.  I lost 2.5 pounds, so not even all the weight I gained over the holidays and barely a dent in the 25 I need to lose.  And really just an inch off my waist and an inch off my hips.  My skin looks ok, but actually broke out a few days ago.  Sleeping better, but never got tiger blood or the "I feel amazing" feeling people talk about.  

Any thoughts on this?  I'm kind of disappointed 

Ditto! I think I gained. I still only sleep 5 hours per night and never had the Tiger Blood. It is frustrating that I did not have any amazing results either. I am trying to celebrate the small victories like my acid re-flux improved. I will keep it up but will add rice, gluten free grains and legumes every once in a while. 

Sorry you're disappointed at losing 2.5 lbs and 2 inches.  FWIW when moderator Tom Denham did his Whole30, he lost 2 lbs. He kept on it for several months, with a steady loss of 2 lbs per month.

Can't guarantee that this will happen for you, but certainly something to consider.

I am disappointed, but just because I have so much to lose and I gained so much this fall after knee surgery.  15 pounds between August and December!!  And I was carrying 10 extra pounds at that point to begin with.  So I was hoping that I would lose more of the recent weight gain, at least.  I can't do any exercise at all still (because of a setback with my injury) so food is the only option I have to lose weight

But I am also a little disappointed that I didn't feel better.  I am jealous of all the folks who feel incredible and have a ton of energy.  I would be able to accept the less dramatic weight loss if I felt great.  But to be honest, I don't feel any different from when I started.  Which I guess could just be a sign that I don't have an allergies or sensitivities to gluten or dairy.  But I would love to feel more energy right now

Think I lost somewhere between 3.5-4 lbs this time around which is probably the most I've lost on a W30 - and probably only because I didn't eat larabars or over indulge in nuts this time around. I think dramatic weight loss could be more likely for people who are coming from a SAD- as opposed to people who are coming from an already healthy diet. I know I lost about 10-15 pounds over the course of 3 months after switching from a gluten free diet to mostly paleo diet. Cutting out rice and GF white flours really made a difference.

@fahrenam I have been dealing with an injury to the nerves in my neck for the past month and a half. I'm pretty restricted in what I'm able to do and I think this in combination with the pain from the injury is adding to my lack of energy. Maybe your injury and exercise limitation could be the culprit re: energy or lack thereof.

Good point, Lydia.  I have been really, really bummed that I can't be active, and even worse that I've been in pain.  It is so limiting and depressing, particularly when you want to lose weight and just move your body.

I was not following a pale diet before I started, I was doing a vegan diet in an attempt to lose some of this weight from my injury.  I actually lost a little weight on the vegan diet, but found myself eating a lot of sugar just because I could.  I'm not usually someone who eats sugar, so I hated that pattern.  And I was drinking a lot of wine before I started my Whole 30, so I really expected that to lead to weight loss.  But apparently not

I think for now I will basically stay on the Whole 30 except for occasional wine.  I may cut back a bit on portions and see if that makes a difference.  That's the only thing I can think of because I rarely had larabars (only when traveling) and actually never ate nuts the whole month.  I was really good about getting good fats in my diet, eating 3 meals, and getting 7-8 hrs sleep.  The only thing I can tell is that occasionally I didn't have enough veggies with one of my meals.  But maybe I was just eating too much for my body, hard to tell

And I was drinking a lot of wine before I started my Whole 30, so I really expected that to lead to weight loss.  But apparently not

I've found this as well. Cutting out alcohol never really makes a big difference for me in terms of weight-loss. I guess that means I can have an extra martini with dinner ;)

I do not own a scale so I won't be able to tell if I have lost weight once I will be done next Saturday and it was not really something I focused on, but I have not had any enery surges, tiger blood or whatever, and it can be disappointing to read how so many others experience those. Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled for them, but it can be hard to follow the plan 100% and just not feel any different.

I'm on Day 16, and have yet to have that energy surge.  I'm hoping it's around the corner...but so far, nothing.  I'm actually more tired than usual.  I was told to put some more starchy veg in my meals daily...so I started that a few days ago and still haven't really noticed a difference.  I'm hoping the "tiger blood" is soon to come.  But kudos to you for completing the W30!  Well done! Remember, not everyone can do it!  :)

I am on day 40.  I decided to keep going based on something I had read about some people just needing more time. 

I actually did lose a good amount of weight on the 30, and did have better energy, but not until about the last 10 days did I see improvement in my sleep.  Which was one of the "goals" I had.

Archived