There really is sugar in EVERYTHING!

Melimuse

Went to lunch with gal pals Sunday. I was compliant, but it took about 15 to 20 minutes worth of discussion (over several trips between table and kitchen) by a very patient waitress, to get me there! I was stunned. Allof the condiments, brines, etc. were full of sigar! Even the raisens for the sauteed spinach were soaked in white wine. This is a moderate to high end restaurant where everything is made fresh. What an eye opener. No wonder I put n 15 pounds over 3 years of dining out with my boyfriend!

I was embarrassed and felt attention seeking (no one's fault). I will be eating n until apres whole 30 and afterward, out very sparingly. Phew!

It really is eye-opening and I feel a little guilty for not having been more aware of what was in my food all along.  If it doesn't have sugar, it probably has soy!

Your chances to dine out are not over.  Steakhouses are often a great place to eat.  I get a dry steak, plain baked sweet potato, and steamed veggies.  I have also eaten at a local fish place, and at Italian places.  Same thing dry pan for everything or olive oil if they can produce the container.  I generally call ahead and know who to ask for when I get there.  I also bring my own olive oil and balsamic in little bottles.  It feels great to have someone else cook and clean up and good food tastes great without all of that fancy stuff all over it.

If there are restaurants you want to eat at regularly, see if they can create some standard options for you to order. A lot of this comes down to how restaurants run their prep and order their food. If they marinate everything in sugar, they can't undo it for a special order.

Calling ahead and having a locked in plan usually results in easier ordering and better food :) However some places have no flexibility and you're better off finding a new restaurant.

Maybe I am just stunned that a place I thought was healthy actually isn't! Thanks all. Day 19 ending here and my tastebuds are restless. Maybe some paleo clam chowder tomorrow to weather the storm. Made with coconut milk, of course!

Archived