Laura's Whole30 log

Lauraashley

Tomorrow starts my first day of my second whole30.  I am excited and looking forward to the results, but also nervous to fail.  The first time I completed my whole30, I was living alone and had more time on my hands.  This time I am now living with my boyfriend, who doesn't eat paleo and I have a lot more to do after work.  Not making excuses, but those are some of the reasons I am nervous to fail.  

I want to do this to feel good about myself again.  When I moved in with my boyfriend, I gained a lot of weight ... pretty much all of the weight I lost when I completed my first whole30.  It's disappointing to start all over again, but I know how much better I will feel once I complete these 30 days.  I remember how much more energy I had, how I really started to love food that was good for me, how healthy my hair and skin was, and so much more.  

I prepped today and spent lots of money on compliant ingredients.  I am hoping keeping a blog, and recording my food and how I feel each day, will keep my accountable.  

Here's to the next 30 days. 

Day 1 is complete!  I actually enjoyed every meal.  I am already remembering how much I love eating clean. I felt good today, besides a little extra stomach reactions ( I expected this from eating more veggies).  I wish I started this whole30 sooner.  I hope next time I am debating on completing another whole30 I can come back to read this blog, to remind myself how much I enjoy these meals!  1 day down, 29 to go! 

A few reasons I wrote down today of why I am completing my second whole30:

For confidence, to feel good about myself inside and out.

For control, I want to control what I am eating and not have food control me.

For my well being, I am happier, more energetic, and clear minded when I eat clean.  I want to be the best I can be.

Here are my yummy meals today:

Breakfast:

2 boiled eggs and 2 compliant pieces of bacon

"monkey salad" (banana, almond butter, cashews, coconut)

Lunch:

Salad w/ romaine, grill chicken, sliced apples, olives, 1/4 avocado, small handful cashews

Dinner:

Beef roast with green beans, sauté' in ghee with carrots and chopped almonds  

Day 3 down!  I learned a lot today, and it was very fulfilling! First off, I realized that my mayo I had in my eggs wasn't 100% compliant bc of one ingredient .. canola oil.  Although its allowed when going to dinner, it isn't for cooking at home with.  I could have cheated and kept using it, but I didn't.  I challenged myself to make homemade mayo, even though all my attempts in the past failed miserably!  And guess what? It worked! Maybe it was because I knew I had to make this, in order to keep eating the meals I planned.  Either way, I am excited and hoping that I like the taste!  It's in my fridge right now cooling! 

Second, I had dinner already planned for my boyfriend and I.  Grilled sausages with steamed veggies.  Well, before I cooked our sausages, I realized one of the ingredients was SUGAR! Again, I could have cheated and ate it ... but I didn't want to.  So I ran to two different grocery stores, to find something compliant.  And I did!  One of our grocery stores out here makes their own sausages, and the only ingredients is spices and pork!  

So even though I knew this whole30 was important to me, I realized today how committed I actually am. I am looking forward to learning more about myself these next 30 days!

I also realized something else today, I am already experiences the extra energy and it is having such a positive effect on my life.  I am keeping up with cleaning around the house.  Instead of coming home and sitting on the couch all night long, I am cooking healthy meals, cleaning, prepping for the next day, etc.  It's keeping me going, and I now don't sit down until 8:00 or 9:00 to unwind.  Which is great, because the last thing I need to do is sit more, since I have a desk job. 

Anyway, here are my meals for the day: 

Breakfast: 

Egg salad and asparagus

Lunch:

Taco salad .. grass fed beef, guac and salad on a large bed of spinach

(this meal made my stomach not happy, and I was forced to use the restroom at my work, which I hate doing ... hopefully this goes away)

Dinner:

Grilled spicy sausage, green beans and broccoli in ghee

Hopefully all my meals are correct and I am following the template as it's intended.  I want to make sure I am going this 100%

Until tomorrow .. happy whole30 =) 

Nice job! Meals look good! 

On the stomach issues after your lunch, maybe the raw veggies could be suspect? Keep noticing how you feel after eating certain foods.

Thanks Chris!  Last time I did my whole30, I had the same reaction when I made the Taco Salad.  I think it has to do with all the raw Spinach.  I will try to adjust the salad some.  I have one question though, the Spicy Sausage is made at my local grocery store ... the ingredients literally only read "pork and spices" ... is it okay to eat that, not knowing how the pork was treated?  It was so yummy, I plan to make it again, as long as it is okay! =)

Thanks Chris!  Last time I did my whole30, I had the same reaction when I made the Taco Salad.  I think it has to do with all the raw Spinach.  I will try to adjust the salad some.  I have one question though, the Spicy Sausage is made at my local grocery store ... the ingredients literally only read "pork and spices" ... is it okay to eat that, not knowing how the pork was treated?  It was so yummy, I plan to make it again, as long as it is okay! =)

The pork ingredients sound compliant - unclear whether or not it came from a factory. Here's Whole30's conscious omnivore article on pork: read that and decide what pork you want to eat going forward. http://whole9life.com/2013/01/the-conscientious-omnivore-pork/

Day 3 !

So yesterday was the complete of my Day 3!  It went well .... in the morning I found myself EXTREMELY tired.  I almost took a nap during my lunch break.  But, instead I went to wholefoods to buy vitamins and felt energies from walking around instead.

I was starving by the end of the day, and couldn't wait to eat dinner. My problem was the lettuce in my salad wasn't very fresh, and had a bad taste to it, so I ate around it.  I don't think I had enough during lunch to keep my satisfied. 

I also did Crossfit last night, and man did it kick my butt.  We had to run as part of our WOD and I was the very LAST person in the class to finish.  Pretty embarrising, but hey, at least I am working out (at least that is what I keep telling myself)

Day 3 meals

Breakfast

Egg salad w/ homemade mayo and green bean sautee in ghee from the night before

Lunch

Salad - grill chicken, avocado, cashews, olives & apples (couldn't eat the lettuce, so this meal was lacking veggies so much =/ )

Dinner

1 sausage from the night before with french's 100% natural mustard & roasted cauliflower in coconut oil

All & all I think it was a good day 3 ... I started to feel like I was getting a cold by the end of the day, but the e-mails say thats normal around this time and should pass soon!

I am researching for a farm that is close to me, to buy meat from for next weeks meals today.  Hopefully I can find something good =)

Well - Yesterday was such a horrible day for me, I didn't get to post my whole30 day 4 log.  I got hit with the flu pretty bad, which is what the e-mails says can happen.  I went to trader joes and loaded up on vitamins and veggies to build up my immune system.  Later on in the day, I got the worst headache I've ever experienced and it lasted all the way till 10:30 am this morning.  I hope that is the worst of this side effects from drastically changing my diet.  I guess I needed this whole30 more than I realized. 

I am still feeling extremely bloated, and my stomach is still having a hard time adjusting to the diet ... but I am sticking through this.  I saw how awesome my results were the first time I did this, so I know in the end it's worth it.  The first time I did the whole30 I was eating pretty healthy before I started, this time I was eating anything bad I could get my hands on.  Food I never use to eat, including fast food, so it enviable that my body is going to freak over these changes.  

As I go through this journey, I am doing this to loose weight, but to also gain back control.  Until I loose the weight though, I won't feel like I have control over my body, so I hope to see some changes soon!  I am going to start stepping up my exercise begging tomorrow, which I think will really help.  I wasn't able to do as much this week, since all the stomach issues. 

My meals were complete yesterday, because of how awful I felt at the end of the day, but here they are: 

Breakfast

Egg salad with homemade mayo

Green beans with ghee

bulletproof coffee

Lunch

Chipolte - steak, barbacoa, lettuce, quac, spicy salsa

Dinner (like I said, wasn't "temple" meals)

Chicken salad with homemade mayo, grapes and almonds

platain chips

RX bar

Hi girl!

You and I sound really similar. I moved in with my boyfriend last year too, and especially after college, gained a lot of extra weight. I tried exercising and starting new programs every Monday, but it would only last for the week. THEN, we found Crossfit, and thus the quest for a paleo lifestyle started.  

I couldn't help but laugh at your Day 3 post... Crossfit kicked my butt yesterday with the running and I was also the last one to finish! You know, Crossfit is so challenging, that even if we are the last to finish, we're actually doing it, so it is very good. :)

You said you liked sausage... have you found any good recipes to make your own? Im looking for some using ground meat instead of buying it at WF all the time.

I hope you're feeling better.... Being sick is no fun, but hopefully it is just something that will pass with the days of the W30. We should keep in touch! Today is also my day 5. Good luck to us this weekend!! :D

Hi girl!

You and I sound really similar. I moved in with my boyfriend last year too, and especially after college, gained a lot of extra weight. I tried exercising and starting new programs every Monday, but it would only last for the week. THEN, we found Crossfit, and thus the quest for a paleo lifestyle started.  

I couldn't help but laugh at your Day 3 post... Crossfit kicked my butt yesterday with the running and I was also the last one to finish! You know, Crossfit is so challenging, that even if we are the last to finish, we're actually doing it, so it is very good. :)

You said you liked sausage... have you found any good recipes to make your own? Im looking for some using ground meat instead of buying it at WF all the time.

I hope you're feeling better.... Being sick is no fun, but hopefully it is just something that will pass with the days of the W30. We should keep in touch! Today is also my day 5. Good luck to us this weekend!! :D

Hey!  We are also in the same forum "whole30 starting 2/17"! We started the same time! 

I haven't found any receipts to make my own sausages yet.  I actually just realized I liked sausage this week ... before this, I thought it was gross.  I have been using the brand "applegate" and if you make sure to read the ingredients ... they have whole30 compliant options.  Some of the flavors aren't compliant because they have sugar as one of the ingredients, so be careful.  I have also found some sausages from Trader Joes brands that are compliant.  I stocked up on so much meat, my freezer is packed!  So maybe once I get through all the meat I bought, I'll try making me own  ;)

Yeah, I took about a 4 month break off from crossfit when I moved from Florida to Saint Louis to live with my boyfriend.  I wish I didn't take that much time off, because I lost so much strength and endurance it's pathetic.  I did crossfit in Florida for 7 months and loved it.  I had amazing results!  Starting over is so depressing, so I am just trying not to think about it to be honest. 

My boyfriend isn't doing the whole30 or crossfit with me, so I'm doing this on my own.  But its getting me out and meeting new people, so I am loving it. 

I am feeling better now, it just shows that you don't need to load up on medication, but instead just be healthy and take vitamins and your body will do what it is suppose to do.

Let's keep in touch for sure during this journey, and share receipts!  It will be nice to have someone to talk to that I know is going through this and crossfit as well!  :)

My boyfriend is going to a guys night thing tonight, so I will be left alone all night.  I am going to try some new receipts to keep me busy and give me something to do.  I'll let you know how they turn out  :D

Sorry, but Chipotle's barbacoa is not compliant, as it's cooked in rice bran oil. https://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/ingredients_statement/ingredients_statement.aspx

No need to restart, but avoid ordering this again until after your Whole30.

shoot!  okay, well thank you very much for letting me know.  I would have gone there again for sure! I will eat extremely clean this week, to make up for this! 

Day 5 log

Yesterday was a funny day.  I stayed home from work, I think my body was working so hard at beating my cold, that I was exhausted.  So my breakfast didn't start until 11:00am and the rest of the day with off. 

Breakfast

3 hard boiled eggs

1 orange bell pepper

1 orange

bulletproof coffee

Lunch

Applegate chicken sausage

1 sweet potato made into "fries" by baking them and with homemade mayo for dip

a few pieces of jicama with guac 

My lunch was so late I didn't eat dinner.  

Hey!  We are also in the same forum "whole30 starting 2/17"! We started the same time! 

I haven't found any receipts to make my own sausages yet.  I actually just realized I liked sausage this week ... before this, I thought it was gross.  I have been using the brand "applegate" and if you make sure to read the ingredients ... they have whole30 compliant options.  Some of the flavors aren't compliant because they have sugar as one of the ingredients, so be careful.  I have also found some sausages from Trader Joes brands that are compliant.  I stocked up on so much meat, my freezer is packed!  So maybe once I get through all the meat I bought, I'll try making me own  ;)

Yeah, I took about a 4 month break off from crossfit when I moved from Florida to Saint Louis to live with my boyfriend.  I wish I didn't take that much time off, because I lost so much strength and endurance it's pathetic.  I did crossfit in Florida for 7 months and loved it.  I had amazing results!  Starting over is so depressing, so I am just trying not to think about it to be honest. 

My boyfriend isn't doing the whole30 or crossfit with me, so I'm doing this on my own.  But its getting me out and meeting new people, so I am loving it. 

I am feeling better now, it just shows that you don't need to load up on medication, but instead just be healthy and take vitamins and your body will do what it is suppose to do.

Let's keep in touch for sure during this journey, and share receipts!  It will be nice to have someone to talk to that I know is going through this and crossfit as well!  :)

My boyfriend is going to a guys night thing tonight, so I will be left alone all night.  I am going to try some new receipts to keep me busy and give me something to do.  I'll let you know how they turn out  :D

YES! We made it through the weekend and onto day 8!! I did see the applegate farms sausage at WF yesterday, but I wanted to try a spice recipe I found on Pinterest and add it to the ground chicken I have frozen in my over packed freezer lol. I'll probably do that this weekend, and let you know how it goes....

I cant imagine how hard it is to do this without your boyfriend, so you go girl! I swear, if he wasn't doing this with me, I would probably just make him, to make it easier on me. I cant believe I started CF. I was so afraid of being so out of shape that I didn't even want to try, but everything in the universe kind of aligned, and I ended up having no other choice :(  I couldn't believe how much I fell in love! Where did you live in FL, and what were your results like? I just started during the holidays, so it wasn't really how I wanted things to go with the eating, and 2 weeks off here and there. We started routinely going again mid-January with 4-5 days, and am eagerly anticipating seeing some kind of noticeable changes.

Im cooking a whole chicken tonight in the crockpot to have lunch for the next few days. I keep dreading the day that this becomes so difficult, but I actually really like it so far. For me, knowing that I made it through the weekend was everything. No excuses!!

We should definitely share recipes! Are you on Pinterest?

YES! We made it through the weekend and onto day 8!! I did see the applegate farms sausage at WF yesterday, but I wanted to try a spice recipe I found on Pinterest and add it to the ground chicken I have frozen in my over packed freezer lol. I'll probably do that this weekend, and let you know how it goes....

I cant imagine how hard it is to do this without your boyfriend, so you go girl! I swear, if he wasn't doing this with me, I would probably just make him, to make it easier on me. I cant believe I started CF. I was so afraid of being so out of shape that I didn't even want to try, but everything in the universe kind of aligned, and I ended up having no other choice :(  I couldn't believe how much I fell in love! Where did you live in FL, and what were your results like? I just started during the holidays, so it wasn't really how I wanted things to go with the eating, and 2 weeks off here and there. We started routinely going again mid-January with 4-5 days, and am eagerly anticipating seeing some kind of noticeable changes.

Im cooking a whole chicken tonight in the crockpot to have lunch for the next few days. I keep dreading the day that this becomes so difficult, but I actually really like it so far. For me, knowing that I made it through the weekend was everything. No excuses!!

We should definitely share recipes! Are you on Pinterest?

Yes! I am on Pinterest, I love it!  My user name is "lauraarsenault" ... what is yours? I lived in Sarasota FL (close to Tampa Florida) ... I moved to Saint Louis to be with my boyfriend, as we dated long distance for 2 years and finally had enough of traveling back and fourth!  I've been here for 4 months now and starting to feel settled, although I don't know anyone here but my boyfriend so it's different not having all my friends around. 

I did CF when I lived in FL for 7 months.  I was eating really healthy right before I started CF and the first week I started CF I did my very first Whole30 challenge.  I don't know if it was the combination between doing my whole30 and starting CF at the same time, but I literally lost 20 pounds in the first month (also the 30 days I did my whole30 challenge).  It was incredible!  After that, I lost an additional 5 pounds .. I don't think I lost more weight than that, because I gained muscle.  I have ALWAYS worked out, but until CF I NVER EVER liked my body.  Once I started doing CF I would say about 3 months of going 5 days a week consistently and eating 100% paleo, I was in the best shape ever ... I had a mini 4-pack abs, my arms were toned, my legs were toned, everything was toned ... my boyfriend always said to me "your body is incredible" ... it was awesome! 

So after stopping doing CF for 4 months to move here, get a job, and get situated I gained back 25 pounds and lost all my muscle =( totallllyyyy depressing ... but it was the sacrifice I made to be with my boyfriend. Which is why I am motivated to do this challenge, even though I am doing it technically alone (besides my friends on here) ... I want to get back to the shape I was in.  Getting back into crossfit is hard, I know exactly how you feel.  I am embarrsed to go to class and tell the instructors I've been doing CF for 7 months when I can't even do a pull up anymore, nevermind 10 burpees in a row without being in extreme pain.  All this taught me is to not take a break, it isn't worth it. 

Eating Paleo and doing CF is the best thing you can do, so I am so happy for you that you are starting your journey!  I can't wait to hear your results after these 30 days ... believe me, you are going to be amazed! =)

One thing that they don't stress enough on the whole30 information is drinking enough water, I tell you, that was one of the things that helped me so much while doing CF.  On the days I didn't drink enough, I could tell in my workouts!  So make sure you are drinking half your body weight in ounces everyday! 

The CF gym I went to in FL the coaches were incredible, and I learned so much from them.  If you have any questions about anything that you don't want to ask your gym about, always feel free to contact me! 

I actually lived in Hollywood CA BTW for 3 years when I went to college at FIDM! I miss it so much!

Hey girl!

I started following you on Pinterest (M3lissaD)! I love that website so much haha. That's amazing about your results, and I only hope that I can get to at least of half of where you were (and are going!). Today was so difficult with rowing and an AMRAP of burpees and waiters carries for 10 minutes :( I was really light headed while rowing and then I remembered the water. I haven't been drinking as much as I used to since I switched jobs, but you're right, its SOOO important. I love my coach too. I don't think I would be doing this if it wasn't for him.

Tampa isn't too far from where I am, so that's kind of cool! lol. I read your other post on the board about your event this Friday... YOU CAN DO IT! Remember everything you wrote to me on here and why you're doing this again and I know you'll be great. I know its so tempting (I haven't done anything social since starting because of that) BUT do it for you to prove to yourself that nothing can stand in the way of what you want. We can't live in a shell, and social outings are inevitable, so sticking to plan will make you feel like you can do anything if you get through the first one!

You have to let me know how it goes! I have my cousin's wedding to go to on the 9th which I'm already dreading because I know I'm going to be tempted to eat and drink, but I already decided that I need to plan and bring some food with me.

What are you making for dinner tonight? :)

Hey!  So funny, when I saw you lived in "hollywood" I automatically thought you lived in Cali.  Sorry about that.  I've never been to Hollywood FL!

Thanks for the encouragment!  I think I should be good, I was thinking of ordering soda water with limes, and sipping on that!  I am going to figure out what to eat before I go to the restaurant, so I am not tempted when I am there looking at the menu to order something else!  I'll let you know how it goes for sure!

I saw that you go to the 6 am classes, that's nuts!  Do you like going that early?  I have to be at work at 8:00, so I think it would be hard, but it would be nice to have the nights off!  Does your CF gym have a shower and everything there? 

I'm not sure what I am doing for dinner tonight. I grilled some chicken last night, and made extra for my boyfriend but he ended up working late and didn't eat it, so I am thinking I might just have that since it is already cooked!  I made burger patties that I need to grill soon on Sunday ... but I rather eat that right after I grill it ... not sure how leftover hamburgers taste :blink:

I also bought a huge cauliflower to make cauliflower fried rice (recipe I found in Well Fed cookbook - which I love BTW)  ... like I posted in our forum .. I think I am buying too much, I have so much I need to use!  I guess I'll figure out what is going to go bad first, and cook that :P

What are you making??  I made spagetti squash and homemade meatballs and sauce on Sunday and have been eating that for lunch the last two days, and it is SO good!  I think squash is a starchy veggie though, so I don't want to eat it too much, because I really want to loose as much weight as possible! 

Day 8 log -

whoa.  I haven't logged my food since day 5?  oops!

Yesterday was a weird day for me, I was feeling nasaus and not hungry during my breakfast and lunch and then right when 3:00 hit, I was starving till dinner! Probably because I didn't finish my breakfast or lunch :P

I am however falling asleep early and sleeping all night

Meals:

Breakfast

egg salad w/ olive oil may and bell pepper

Lunch

Spagetti squash with homemade meatballs and sauce

Snack before workout

Coconut RX bar

Dinner

Grill chicken and green beans steamed in ghee

Day 9! 

Holy Moly! I was incredibly hungry today, when I got home from work I thought I was going to eat my kitchen! Good thing I had some coleslaw made with olive oil mayo prepared, to scoff down while I cooked dinner.  

I realized tonight, I do NOT like how chicken taste other than the day its cooked.  I grilled chicken last night and then had the left overs for dinner tonight and I hated how the chicken tasted.  The taste changes for sure.  I made a spicy dip with my olive oil mayo and compliant hot sauce and spices to make myself eat the chicken.  But from now, I am going to make chicken fresh.  

I don't really know why I was so hungry today, I really feel today was the most compliant perfect meals I've had in these 9 days.  Bummed! 

Meals:

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs

1 whole orange bell pepper

Bulletproof coffee

Lunch

4 homemade meat balls w/homemade sauce

cup of spaghetti squash

handful of olives

had a handful of almonds/cashews at 3:00

Dinner - STARVING! 

1 chicken breast

1 sweet potato w/ coconut oil and salt&pepper

coleslaw with olive oil

small handful of sliced almonds

I don't feel like my clothes are fitting any looser, and I don't see the weight dropping off.  Starting to get discouraged.  

Either way, I'll stick it out

Day 10! (well, yesterday)

I feel like I had a good day, ate enough to not feel like I could eat my left arm. Today is my boyfriends birthday and I bought him some individual desserts, so we don't have an entire cake sitting around.  Luckily he's a guys, guy and enjoys his steak and potatos, so easy for me ...grill up some steaks, sweet potatos, brocoli and wala, complaint birthday meal!

Here were my meals yesterday:

Breakfast

3 hard boiled eggs - ended up not eating all of the yolks

1 larger orange bell pepper spinkled with salt ( I LOVE salt)

1 small handful of sliced almonds

coffee with coconut milk

Lunch:

Tuna with homemade mayo and celery salt

Cauliflower fried rice

1/2 large apple

handful of olives

Dinner:

2 small homemade burgers made from grassfed beef

large cup of brocoli with ghee

1/2 avocado

1 tomato

I went to crossfit (which I started when I started my whole30) after dinner and I did so good, my coach graduated me to the advance courses! woo hoo.  Let's see if I can keep up!

Archived