How to tell if Macadamia Nut oil is rancid?

**Ann**

I could not get macadamia nut oil in my local supermarket, so i ordered a bottle from amazon. I've never used it before, and not sure what it should smell or look like.  I've read some reviews that sometimes people received the oil and it was rancid.  My oil looks a little cloudy and I keep it in the fridge.  What else should I look for?

Also, what is the shelf life of macadamia nut oil, if kept in the fridge?  Believe it or not, when I make my homemade mayo, I have found cold oil, egg, and acid work really great (instead of room temp). So I keep my mayo ingredients in the fridge.  I would like to use the macadamia nut oil for my mayo b/c avocado oil (which I adore in mayo) is very expensive compared to the volume you get and I just read on another thread that light olive oil may not be ok.

• Moderators

Macadamia nut oil should last two years from bottling without refrigeration. "They" say that rancid oil smells bad. I have no experience with bad oil personally.

Light olive oil is a top choice for mayo, contrary to what you may have read elsewhere.

Archived